Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I like the absolute yes answers here. The real answer is no, unless you are in a state that requires a brake system on the towed. In a year and a half, I have driven over 35,000 miles pulling a 4000 pound vehicle with no brake system. I have crossed the Rockies and smokies several times. I have also been stuck in traffic jams and quick stop situations. I am not saying that it would not be a bad idea to have a brake system on the towed, but it is not 100% necessary.
Interesting. So, in a panic case you have 2 tons pushing on your the back of your coach not helping to bring you to a stop. You of course are right that you don't need the aux break 100% of the time but I think your missing the point. In addition, if lord forbid you get tangled in a collision in a state that requires aux break you could de held liable and negligent. Better to have the break.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #16

It seems crazy to me that anyone would risk there assets, MH or others lives. I really don't care if you kill yourself; but don't take anyone with you! There are many instances of trailers becoming disconnected, crossing into oncoming traffic and killing someone in a head on collision. We've had several in Western PA.

If you have air brakes on you coach (and you do), check out the M&G Braking system. IMHO, Best on the road and a breeze to hook up. One (1) air hose from coach to toad and tail lighting cable. Has proportional braking to toad and break away stopping. It's a little more work to install but saves lots of time and worry. Now, as Dr. Laura says, "Go do the right thing."
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post

Interesting. So, in a panic case you have 2 tons pushing on your the back of your coach not helping to bring you to a stop. You of course are right that you don't need the aux break 100% of the time but I think your missing the point. In addition, if lord forbid you get tangled in a collision in a state that requires aux break you could de held liable and negligent. Better to have the break.
Oops! I misspelled "brake" above. Maybe I need to take a "break".
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
In one simple word, YES!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jrbrooks00 View Post
Can anyone tell me is a brake system is needed on a toad of about 3,700-4,000 lbs. The toad would be behind a 43-45ft MH with 525-600 hp and would also have a motorcycle lift attached to rear of MH. Thank you.
I will make it easy: YES a brake system is needed.

You have several choices of systems depending on the motor home and the towed.. M&G gets good reviews if the MH has air brakes and the slave unit will fit on the towed's master cylinder.

I might add it is 100% invisible to a driver of the towed.

Other systems are like 95% invisible (My 12.5 Gunboats will touch the brake arm bracket) but for most invisible. except for the box in the driver's seat systems (Pedal pushers)

I don't care for most pedal pushers since you have to install 'em every tow and in some cases it's too easy to say "Oh, I'm not going that far,, This is too much troub... OH @!@@@Q@Q! as you crash into another car.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My opinion.

Brake it, though many try, certainly many get away with , folks argue and quibble and certainly do not see it this way but they cannot make the case no matter what; there really is no honestly justifiable reason to not have a brake.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I see you are from FL. FL requires toad braking for vehicles over 3,000 lbs.
Although the link posted by exgman earlier, states as much, that site is in error:

In the specified Florida statute, 316.261 (3) (c), it states:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:
(c) Any vehicle being towed in driveaway or towaway operations, provided the combination of vehicles is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262.

Although I can’t find any definition of driveaway/towaway in the Florida statutes, the US DoT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration defines it as:

Driveaway-towaway operation means an operation in which an empty or unladen motor vehicle with one or more sets of wheels on the surface of the roadway is being transported:
(6) By means of a saddle-mount or tow-bar.

It does not discriminate between commercial or non-commercial operations.

Therefore, when using a tow-bar, the 3,000 pound limit does not apply (in Florida).
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
The above list put out by Brake Buddy is mostly for trailer towing laws, not vehicles. The laws for towing trailers and vehicles are different in most of states.
Toad Brake Requirements is a link to the vehicle towing laws for each state. There are a couple links on the page that are broken, but most of them take you to the actual DMV statute for that particular state. I use the Air Force One with breakaway on my rig because I think it's a good idea, not because a brake company wants me to believe I'm breaking the law by not having one.

Thanks for the link Dan! I'm bookmarking that for future use.

I think some are confusing a toad braking system with a breakaway system, which are two totally different animals.

No matter what the state requirements are, I want all the protection I can get for myself and others on the road, so I personally would NEVER be without either of the systems! JMHO!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #23

Amen mshappycamper! Happy New year to you as well
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #24

Her in Saskatchewan towed vehicle braking is not required if the vehicle weighs less than 4409 lbs. I can also tell you you are enjoying a false sense of security if you think those mickey mouse braking systems partially applying the brakes on a small toad are really going to help stop a 46,000 lb. motorhome.
cadiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
At that weight you will need a auxiliary braking system .

Here is a site that list the weights by state. Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
That list and most others is incorrect and has been discussed (and dismissed) many times on various web sites. Whoever made it up (probably AAA) used the wrong info when compiling it and others just copy the mistakes.

This one is the most up to date and correct one that I know of (which someone posted earlier): http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/...-by-state.html

Now, that said: I would never tow another vehicle without add'l braking. Just as more weight takes more force to accelerate it takes more force to decelerate (brake) it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiwa View Post
Her in Saskatchewan towed vehicle braking is not required if the vehicle weighs less than 4409 lbs. I can also tell you you are enjoying a false sense of security if you think those mickey mouse braking systems partially applying the brakes on a small toad are really going to help stop a 46,000 lb. motorhome.
In actual testing it was found that adding a braking system to a towed stopped 70 FEET shorter from 50 mph than one without a towed braking system. That was only 5 feet more than the motorhome alone.
And you think adding a braking system is not going to help?

Also, I know for a fact that a braking system like the RoadMaster 9160 can and will lock up all four wheels on a towed. Been there and done that, have the skidmarks to prove it (both on the road and my undershorts).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The laws of physics apply equally no matter what the State or Province ... any additional braking will shorten the stopping distance. Even dragging your feet would shorten the stopping distance. Really.

I can tell you you can't fool Mother Nature. Take the safe route - always brake your toad no matter what the local requirements might be. I'll feel safer sharing the road with you.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #28

Quote:
My MH, a Fleetwood Providence, stops very efficiently when nothing is in tow. I tow an H3 Hummer, and I must say that it always needed more stopping distance when I traveled without a toad brake. I felt that it would be foolhardy and immoral to
place others at risk without a toad brake knowing that a toad brake would shorten the stopping distances. Even a foot of distance in a panic stop situation could save a life or prevent serious injury to someone in front of us.

For that reason, I installed the SMI Air Force One in my H3 Hummer. The Hummer weighs in at approx. 4800 lbs., but the
AF1 system is a no nonsense product. I can not believe how beautifully it handles the H3. Stopping distance at 30 mph is at
least 15 feet, and probably 30 to 45 feet at 50 mph. Maybe much more. More importantly, control is gained because I never feel I have to jump on the brakes to compensate for not having a toad brake. BTW, Spartan chassis, which I have, approves of the system because of the safety features built into it. After I hook up the Blue Ox tow bar, light harness, breakaway lanyard, and
notification wire, I simply hook up the air hose, and basically I'm gone! There are no boxes to position, or recalibrate....just tap the coach's air brakes two or three times and away...Happy Camping...Jonnyboy

Tags
toad, brake