Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Brake Systems

I just got a motorhome from a 5th wheel. I have a Jeep Liberty to tow. What would be the best braking system to use?

anconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a Brake Buddy on my Grand Cherokee and my Town & Country Minivan. I like it because I can move it between cars depending on what I am towing.

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
I use M&G brake systems, once installed nothing to do but hook up the line to the coach, just got the one to fit the new jeep. But there are many others that work just as good.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not like systems like the brake buddy because though they are easy to transfer to a new towed,,, when you get one.. they are also easy to forget if you are planing only a short trip (Say to the Dealer for service) You have to "install" them every time you tow.

Ready Brake
US gear Unified Brake Decelerator
Air Force One
Invisible Brake

All these you install once, they are invisible to a driver of the jeep, quick hookup, Each one has advantages over the others.

But Ready Brake is about the most interesting.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 on our '97 Jeep GC and Honda Odyssey.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Appalachian Campers
I have been in contact with Blue Ox since last fall. Talked to them last week and they have in production a new airbrake system that will quick connect to the MH air brakes. I don't know if they have named it yet. I have been bugging them and they promise I am to get one of the first systems out. I believe they had a similar at one time but it was discontinued. Will try this thing and see how it works out when we put the Wrangler in service.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the SMI Stay-in-Play and love it. They make one for diesel pushers called Air Force One. I started with a "Brake Box" (mine was a Roadmaster EvenBrake) and got tired of the installing, removing and storage.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check the Unified Brake System from US Gear. They have a good website. Anyhow, it's plug and go. The best thing about it is that you use the power brakes on your Toad
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
I have used the SMI Stay n Play, wireless, since 2005. No problems, I like having the controls available.
Dan & Sharon & Kasey (Our Yorkie Puppy (11 Yrs Old) On the Road (2012 Journey 36M, 2006 Jeep Liberty)
USN-Ret ('65-'93) Fulltimers, Class of 2012
DancinCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Country Coach Owners Club
Been using an M&G for over 100,000 miles of towing, no problems here. Highly recommended.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is kind of like the Ford/Chevy question. The answer is you should have one, don't dive without brakes!
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Ok Guess Iíll chim in in this one....

Iím a Dealer for almost all of the manufactures... That being said, I (we) sell primarily Blue Ox along with the US Gear Unified Tow Brake (UTB) system. We install on average 15-20 complete installs a year and as many or more partials/repairs/upgrades/changeovers etc... We have installed ďalmostĒ every manufactures systems over the years.

So....... my 2 cents.

On tow car brake systems, my opinion is that ANY system that pushes on a dead pedal (no add on vacuum pump, or use of the hydro boost) is a bad deal. I donít believe that any engineer from any car manufacture has probably ran the data for the break pedal to be pushed in a emergency situation more then what, 1000 times? (meaning that the motor has stopped running and the vacuum is gone, leaving a hard pedal) If that was the number, 1000 lets say, for an emergency braking situation that number really seems high to me, I canít remember over the past 25 years any vehicle that Iíve owned or driven that wasnít under repair that has ever died on me except maybe running out of gas... Maybe Iím just the lucky one, but I sure donít here about that issue....Anyway, back to that number, for the sake of argument lets say the engineerís decided on 5000 cycles.. So whatís that in mileage? is it 5000 miles, 10,000?

Now I know ďLOTíSĒ of folks that have towed with dead pedal brake systems for well over that (as Iím sure most do) some Iíve heard as much as 150k. But the question I ask most is ďhow well does it really work?Ē Most have never even done the temp readings on the tow car brakes, to see how itís working, theyíve only done the seat of the pants test. Yes the seat test probably works the best, but is it really doing itís job? or too much?

So the questions go on and on, thereís a reason everyoneís trying to get into the brake game.....MONEY!

Make sure that whatever system you go with youíve done your research. Talk to people out using them for more then year, see it for yourself, get to understand the system. Does it have good support? Will other shops around the country be able, or willing to repair it if it fails on the road. The shop that you use, do they sell and are knowledgeable on ALL the different manufactures, or do they just sell one manufacture?

Iíve seen a lot of different systems out on the market over the years, only a few are worth the money, and less have been endorsed by the Coach/Chassis manufactures.

InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote