Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Brake systems 2 choices

I am looking at slightly used brake systems for my CRV and found 2 for sell. One is the Evenbrake, used only once, and the other is RVI brake. The RVI brake looks more user friendly, simple in design, and very compact. Their website shows that they now have a RVI 2 update....makes me wonder if the first system had some issues.

The Evenbrake is large, with a compressor, and professional looking. All I want is something that works only when needed. Anyone already have one of these systems and care to comment?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I started with the EvenBrake in my CRV and was never quite happy with it. Taking it in and out, storage when not in use, set up, etc. When it failed on the road, nobody could or would repair it. I replaced it with the SMI Stay-in-Play and I wish I had installed it originally. Nothing to set up, just plug in the light cord and the brakes are ready to go.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are, in my view, 4 types of braking system.

the EVEN brake is what I call a System in a box. It has to be installed EVERY time you tow, and it's very easy to say "Oh, i'ts only a few miles" and forget it... and be sorry later.

The next 3 systems are all installed (bolted in)

One either pulls or pushes on the pedal based on either air pressure or electric "Pressure" from the towing vehicle (motor home)

One (M&G is this type of system) goes between the brake booster and the brake master cylinder and is NOT affected by brake vacuum.. This is an air based system

And surge brakes like the Ready Brake.

My recommendation is AGAINST the box systems like Evenbrake... I have used US-Gear unified brake decelerator and it worked very well, It gives you an amazing amount of control over the towed from the towing cockpit.

My next buy will likely be the Blue-Ox auto stop (Equivlant of the Ready Brake) surge brake system.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

The "RVI brake" instructions says that when installed, it pumps the brake pedal five times to disengage? the brake vacuum. I do not know what the role of the brake vacuum is, and why it has to be disengaged.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
The "RVI brake" instructions says that when installed, it pumps the brake pedal five times to disengage? the brake vacuum. I do not know what the role of the brake vacuum is, and why it has to be disengaged.
When the car engine is running there is a vacuum in the vacuum brake booster. With the engine off pumping the brake pedal depletes the vacuum in the booster. When vacuum is depleted it takes less pressure on the pedal to produce braking action.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just to clear up something - it takes far more pressure to brake without vacuum. Vacuum is used to boost braking action or lower pedal pressure.

The reason you remove the vacuum is to get consistent braking action. If vacuum was present when your RVi brake pushed on the pedal you would get a four wheel lockup.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Just to clear up something - it takes far more pressure to brake without vacuum. Vacuum is used to boost braking action or lower pedal pressure.

The reason you remove the vacuum is to get consistent braking action. If vacuum was present when your RVi brake pushed on the pedal you would get a four wheel lockup.
You are correct and I am incorrect. I actually know what you stated. Trying to watch TV and surf iRV2 is apparently not a good thing at least for me. My apologies.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The SMI Stay-in-Play creates its own vacuum to make braking easier.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
The SMI Stay-in-Play creates its own vacuum to make braking easier.

So does the US Gear Unified brake system and the Roadmaster Invisa Brake system.

In my opinion, these vacuum assisted units are the best on the market and the most efficient as they require much less pressure on the toad's brake pedal and all are activated proportionally to the mh's brakes.

All are as described above in a previous post... once installed, only the connection of the umbilical cord for lights is required.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I am looking at slightly used brake systems for my CRV and found 2 for sell. One is the Evenbrake, used only once, and the other is RVI brake. The RVI brake looks more user friendly, simple in design, and very compact. Their website shows that they now have a RVI 2 update....makes me wonder if the first system had some issues.

The Evenbrake is large, with a compressor, and professional looking. All I want is something that works only when needed. Anyone already have one of these systems and care to comment?
Others have answered your question, so for thinking outside the box, why not look to eBay for a READYBRAKE setup, so you won't have to ask for pros and cons?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
So does the US Gear Unified brake system and the Roadmaster Invisa Brake system.

In my opinion, these vacuum assisted units are the best on the market and the most efficient as they require much less pressure on the toad's brake pedal and all are activated proportionally to the mh's brakes.

All are as described above in a previous post... once installed, only the connection of the umbilical cord for lights is required.

Ron
Couldn't agree more. I have the US Gear braking system. Came with the M/H that I bought. Was fairly easy to re-install myself on a SRX. Factory was good with install advice. Great proportional braking that you can adjust from the M/H dash.
woodytrwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been using an RVi system for almost two years. It works well, easy to set up, and stores easily. Additionally, if you have a question or two as I did, the folks at the company are very friendly and accommodating.

When you have it set in place and press the start button, it goes through its own setup for about 20 seconds. This includes the RVi's air cylinder pushing hard on the toad's brake five times to dissipate brake vacuum from the toad's brake system. Normal.

The RVi2 is their latest model. It is not a response to design or operating problems, but merely includes a tire pressure monitoring system in the package.

I would recommend the RVi system.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Others have answered your question, so for thinking outside the box, why not look to eBay for a READYBRAKE setup, so you won't have to ask for pros and cons?
I have used a few of the others over the years, and I couldn't agree more with your statement. No more failures, it just works and is about as simple as it gets.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake