Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Brake systems - have you ever?

I am questioning the use of a braking system in a newer (abs) equipped vehicle. Have you ever taken your vehicle out to a local hill, turned of the engine, pumped the brake 5 to 10 times then coast down the hill without the engine running and try to stop the vehicle? I find if hard to believe that a toed braking system can produce the effort and proper control to stop the toed correctly? The brakes are very hard to apply and the control is very touchy. Can any of the braking systems operate properly after the vacuum or pressure is depleted?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes. The brakes still work fine without power assist, it just takes a bigger push. In fact, the brake in a box systems want you to activate them several times to deliberately bleed off the boost. Forget this and you'll lock up the toad brakes first time you stop.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin View Post
Can any of the braking systems operate properly after the vacuum or pressure is depleted?
The US Gear Unified Tow Brake system installs a vacuum pump that provides vacuum for the brake booster, even though the toad engine is not running. The vacuum pump is powered by the motorhome electrical system. It seems to work well, to me.
Unified Tow Brake

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the US Gear system website. I've used it for nearly 5 years on 2 rigs. Works great-----and uses the power brakes on the Toad. It can be switched if you ever decide to trade vehicles
Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The SMI AFO also provides a connection from their control box to the vacuum line to energize the brakes.

joe
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

Suggest study of how the aux. brake systems work. They all have backup systems to provide aux power to the system when it "disconnects" and brake is automatically applied.
If toad is over 3000 lbs an aux brake is the law in many states.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our SMI stay n play creates vacuum to run the jeep's power booster.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

Thanks to all for their information. Please keep it coming. I did look into the SMI system and liked what I saw.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First ABS does not matter.. it is not active under the conditions you cite.

However, as to the pedal pressure needed... Well, first those "Brake in a box" systems like brake buddy can produce an amazing amount of pressure,, Myself, At best I'm good for perhaps 500-600 pounds of push per leg at the optimum angle possible a bit more (I'm a very big guy, over 300 pounds and my legs have to each lift and accelerate that much)

However if you have 100 PSI or air pressure in the tank, (The tank is inside the box) and the piston has 10 square inches, tha'ts 1000 pounds of pressure, Basically me with both feet on the pedal and a high adrenalin level

Second. I recommend the US Gear Unified brake Decelerator Here are a few reasons why.

1: Install, ONCE, after that just plug in,, The system is hidden from view and tranparant to a driver so just install it and leave it there.

2: The "Oh, its too much trouble for this short drive" Syndrom.. Most everyone I've spoken to with the "Box" systems, has admitted to saying this.

3: nothing to stow when you drive it.

4: Progressive (many box systems are) and Purportional And fully controlled by the driver (Up in the motor home) This is where many boxes fall off.

And the one that may interest you: System comes with either the means to activate an electric assist pump (like the one on my workhorse) or a vacuum pump so the vacuum booster continues to work as advertised.

It just does not get better than that.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Agree withg all of the above.
And my SMI stay n play does it all too.

When it's time to tow, I flip a toggle switch on the interior kick panel of the jeep. nothing more ever.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Agree withg all of the above.
And my SMI stay n play does it all too.

When it's time to tow, I flip a toggle switch on the interior kick panel of the jeep. nothing more ever.
Me too.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote