Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
BrakeBuddy Towed Battery Maintainer

I have been looking at the various towed battery chargers. I ran across this one, anyone use it? For $25 I may roll the dice.

Accessories | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #2

We bought this just a few days ago from Amazon for $20.22. I figured for the price it was worth giving a try. Hope to install it in the next week or two.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the Amazon tip, prime member so 2 day shipping at no charge is always nice. I may call Brake Buddy, interested to know if it is fused, or has a diode in it, has both, and what the max amp rating is.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

I don't have the Brake Buddy but sure looks like a good price for keeping toad charged. Better than the Toad Charge at over $100. I built my own Toad Charge using some Radio Shack diodes and fuse. All in a small box. Ran me about $6 for everything. I've used it for about a year with no problems. If I was using a Brake Buddy I'd go for their charger also for that price.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

It has a 20 amp fuse in it under the weatherproof cover (mini blade type). I thought I had read somewhere that it was rated at 10 amps but I can't seem to find the reference now.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bruadair is correct, it has a 20 amp fuse. I called and asked, according to Brake Buddy it is rated for 20 amps, but they said you will more than likely only see 15 maximum from it. There is no diode in it.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I'm puzzled... Can't you just run a charge line from your RV's 7-pin connector to the toad's battery? Thus... the cost of that wire? Or is there more to this?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

I have used my BrakeBuddy for 13 years on a Saturn and a Wrangler. Even 3 days of driving/toading did not weaken the toad battery.

Is your battery aging?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Yes you can but you do have to use an isolation diode plus a fuse is good idea. I have measured my toad charging current amd it has never gone over 7 amps. Some RVers just don't feel comfortable doing it that way. If you don't use a diode the toad battery will feed back to the MH when you turn off the MH ignition.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I have been looking at the various towed battery chargers. I ran across this one, anyone use it? For $25 I may roll the dice.

Accessories | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
I purchased one of these when I bought my BrakeBuddy. It worked great for about a year and a half, then one day just stopped working. When it quit working, it was no longer charging the toad battery, was very hot to the touch, but it never blew its internal fuse.

I am now debating wether I should buy another one, or just hook up the 12volt lead directly off my 7-pin wiring harness.

I suppose this device keeps the 12volt feed from over charging the Toad battery. It might also contain a diode to prevent a dead coach battery from running down the toad battery.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #11

Amazon info is good to know. At that price with Amazon Prime, I'll just replace the one I have.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #12

I bought Radio Shack item 276-1661. Four 50v 6 amp diodes for $2.99 and a small box. I wired the diodes in parallel, fused it for 10 amps. Been using it for a year and works great. I'm cheap and basically all those mystery boxes have the same thing inside. Once encapsulated they can charge up to $100 for them like the "toad charge". Mine cost $6
Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #13

Again:
I have used my BrakeBuddy for 13 years on a Saturn and a Wrangler. Even 3 days of driving/toading did not weaken the toad battery.

I do not have a charge line to the toad.

Why do you need a charger or charge line?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Peace of mind for me. I have not had a dead battery yet, but when the key is in accessory the dash lights stay on, as well as a few other things. Pulling fuses is no fun, and I am not real enthused with switches to make it easier either. My toad has dual batteries, but is also a diesel, so battery power to warm up the glow plugs, and heat up the air intake element takes some amps, plus you also get to start it, which takes more.

Tags
battery, brake