Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
BrakeMaster

I have the BrakeMaster system which I use to use when I had a gasser MH. I now own a DP and was wondering if the BrakeMaster could be set up to just activate the Toad brakes in the event it would come loose from the DP. Not thrilled about tying into my DP air brake system.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Not certain why you would be concerned about tapping into the Air Brake system. There are normally output locations on your system for this feature. I had my BrakeMaster system rigged for my toad. It worked perfect and the breakaway component had an air cylindar activated by a selonoid that would engage the cylindar on the brake pedel should the breakaway plug be removed.

Would you mind sharing the technical reason for not wanting to use the air brake system for this feature? It is a very common thing to do.

Thanks
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tied into the air system on our Spartan chassis right at the rear brake air splitter. Spartan doesn't recommend this and wants a $500 air shut off setup in the system. But I did the install some 7 years ago and have had no trouble at all with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #4

Mine was done on my Monaco by CW and and I was told there was a specific feature for this. I never looked at where the hookup was made so I have no first hand knowledge of how it was rigged. Don't have rhat coach anymore.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Brakemaster the sequel

I recently moved my Brakemaster from my old 2002 Monaco (Freightliner) to my new Entegra (Spartan) . I hooked everything up myself on both RVs but admit I payed a diesel shop to connect the tap to the air brake relay valve on each RV. The Brakemaster instruction book describes how to do it. I paid a guy to do it due to warranty issues with the chassis and IMO, a couple hundred bucks is worth piece of mind knowing it is installed correctly
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Not certain why you would be concerned about tapping into the Air Brake system. There are normally output locations on your system for this feature. I had my BrakeMaster system rigged for my toad. It worked perfect and the breakaway component had an air cylindar activated by a selonoid that would engage the cylindar on the brake pedel should the breakaway plug be removed.

Would you mind sharing the technical reason for not wanting to use the air brake system for this feature? It is a very common thing to do.

Thanks
I can't offer a technical reason for not wanting someone to tap into my air line, just worried that they may not do it correctly. I could feel the difference in the gasser with the system, but really wonder if it will make that much of a difference in my current MH with air brakes. Would like to see some valid stats on this.
I'm not trying to start an p----g match, just want to see some valid info on stopping difference with and without. No question on a break away, that's a giveme.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

Good point about doing it right. This applies to almost anything
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
That's why I'm having it done by RoadMaster in Quartzsite. Who better then the manufacturer.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I can't offer a technical reason for not wanting someone to tap into my air line, just worried that they may not do it correctly. I could feel the difference in the gasser with the system, but really wonder if it will make that much of a difference in my current MH with air brakes. Would like to see some valid stats on this.
I'm not trying to start an p----g match, just want to see some valid info on stopping difference with and without. No question on a break away, that's a giveme.
I can't provide any graphs, pie charts or other technical "proof" for you that toad brakes help in stopping. But, I can tell you that in our coach (see sig.) I can feel a difference when not towing, towing with aux. brakes or towing with aux. brakes. Think of it this way........your moho brakes are designed to stop the moho only. If you add about 4,000 more pounds for those same brakes to sto it's going to take more distance.
And the issue is not just your safety but the safety of others that share the road. Besides all that I think you will find it is required almost everywhere to have aux. brakes on your toad.
And, last but not least, follow the Brakemaster directions for air connections to the moho. If you don't do it yourself then watch the guy that does it and make certain it's done per the directions.
We've used a Brakemaster system on our DP for about 10 years and 70,000 miles with absolutely no problems.......I wish I could say that for all the moho systems.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
KIX

Here's the easy way that we mounted the break away air cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picure 267.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	30773  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Here's the easy way that we mounted the break away air cylinder.
That's ingenious! Then you don't need a second breakaway in another vehicle.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

Great way to do it. My breakaway is under the hood.

Your setup is much better.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
That's ingenious! Then you don't need a second breakaway in another vehicle.

My DW has other words for my ideas. But, thanks. The other beauty of this method is in today's engine compartments space is at a premium which was my motivation.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I like the way you set up the break away. Also agree with under the hood being a little tight. It was a job and a half getting the break away out of my Pontiac Grand AM.