Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Brakemaster 9160 Breakaway Installation Question

I will be installing a Roadmaster 9160 braking system into a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 2-speed transfer case that allows flat towing. The previous owner used the same system so our Country Coach already has the coach-side installation completed. I'm particularly interested in other 2011-2015 Grand Cherokee owners' input if available.

The instructions for locating the Breakaway air reservoir state to not locate the reservoir within the passenger compartment, due to the compressed air in this emergency reservoir. First question is; has anyone located this Breakaway cylinder in the passenger compartment anyway, and then remove or depressurize the reservoir when removing the Brakemaster air cylinder for normal driving? You're not going to be in the passenger compartment while under tow, so why not depressurize the reservoir or remove it with the air cylinder?

Second question is if you do have the breakaway reservoir located in the engine compartment, exactly where did you mount it? It's supposed to be a 2 feet away from engine heat and away from moving parts.

Retired USAFR
ltcolmac17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The other function of the breakaway reservoir is to open the petcock valve to drain any moisture that might be in the system. If you were to mount it in the passenger area you would have to make allowances for possible moisture being released under pressure whenever you open the valve.

I had a 9160 in my Wrangler but decided to go with the Air Force One in my Cherokee (not a Grand Cherokee). When I removed the front fascia to install the base plate and AF1 I found there was plenty of room to install the 9160 breakaway reservoir on the rear side of the bumper, and still be able to reach down and turn the petcock valve as needed.

I don't know how much space is available on a GC, but you might check to see if that area would be an option.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

Other than the engine compartment, the '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't have an easily accessible space to locate the reservoir and drain a petcock. Locating behind the facia would require removing the radiator cowl for periodic service.

I would really like any input from JGC owners that have this Roadmaster brake system installed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Retired USAFR
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In both the '97 Jeep GC and the present '05 Odyssey I mounted it in the drivers side behind the battery. Had to remove the battery to get access though. Works fine but isn't vertical like they want. Have never gotten any water/moisture out of it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #5

I thought I had searched irv2 pretty well, but did a google search on this topic and thanks to some posters in 2013, I think I have found a very comprehensive method.

Here's the thread:
Brakemaster 9160 on Grand Cherokee

The method of mounting the reservoir on the cylinder brace is really good for a second reason, and that is because the battery for these JGCs are in a compartment under the passenger seat. It's a shorter wiring run from the driver's side.

Thanks to those who replied to my thread too!
Retired USAFR
Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
After many yrs of using the Roadmaster Brakemaster with the breakaway kit on a lot of different toads including the two I now tow I have never got a drop of water out of the reservoir, if you are getting water in it I would think you need to check your air dryer.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

I've just about gotten everything plumbed and routed to have the Breakaway reservoir collocated with the Brakemaster cylinder. I've installed the Roadmaster baseplate kit and the diode taillight kit also. Everything needs to terminate in a tight space through a port (maybe 3" x 4") in the bumper fascia where the twist-to-lock tow brackets will connect to the baseplate.

Any recommendations to mounting (permanently or not) the:

1. Four-pin wiring pigtail
2. Male air connector w/cover
3. Breakaway switch hot and ground wires?
Like I mentioned, not a lot of space with a baseplate in the way already.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Retired USAFR

Tags
brake, install