Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
I installed the Brakemaster with breakaway on a 2013 Jeep GC and I am very happy with the fit and function. I would do it again...

fourstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Readybrake 300$ 2hours install-on ebay

charlie 62 - 2007 Four Winds Windsport - 2010 Ford Flex
charlie 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
The Readybrake is a surge brake. Again, not good for descending long mountain grades riding the Jake brake down the hill.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #18

WE've had the Brakemaster system on the moho for about 8 years.....no problems at all. We've towed 4 different vehicles moving the brakemaster cylinder from vehicle to vehicle........never a problem. I'll try to post a pic of how I mounted the breakaway air cylinder so that it could be moved to different vehicles too.
Having said all that ...... if we didn't change vehicles so often I would use the Air Force One brake system as it looks much easier to connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picure 267.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	50934  
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Brakemaster: 9 years and 150,000 miles with no problems.
Charlie Tuit, 2002 Journey, 32T, XL7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Rich, your assumption of the brake in a box systems are wrong. I have an Even Brake by Roadmaster. It is NOT activated by the coach's brake lights but by inertia. Normally it will not be activated by the exhaust brake, but occasionally it will briefly activate on downshifts when going down steep grades. Other systems may very well be activated by the coach's brake lights, but the Even Brake is not. Just to dispel another Internet falsehood. The Brakemaster system looked attractive to me too. But what I don't like about it is that if the air line between the motor home and towed gets broken, your coach brakes are going to lock up.

If the brake line breaks your coach brakes WILL NOT lock up. The system ties in on the SERVICE side of the brake system, meaning that no air escapes unless the brakes are applied. What will happen if you sever that line is that you will use more air when stopping. When you hit the brakes you will have an open line but you will still stop. As soon as you let off the brakes the airflow stops.

Oh, and I have been using mine for about 7 years. Only issue I have had at all is that I have changed coaches three times in that time period and had to install the system on the new coach each time. No biggie, just takes a little time. beyond that it has worked great. I have the one with the brake-away also, but to be honest I have never hooked the break-away cable up between the coach and the toad.
Command Master Chief (USCG, RET)
Full Timing in a 2007 American Coach Eagle 45H towing a 2015 Ford F150 4x4 hauling a 2015 Anniversary Edition Honda Goldwing
Mrchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by logansrun View Post
Have used it for years with no problems....I have the model with the breakaway reservoir tank...didn't see that in the one posted....
It was included in the fine print.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Rich, here is another option, I installed one of these M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page on my wrangler and it sure makes for one of the quickest hook-ups on the market today and I believe they have one for your Durango. Happppppppy turkey day!
X2 on the M&G brake system! I was told about it by some full-timers and they were right, it's a great brake system that it totally hidden under the hood.

And it's false(whoever said it) that if the air line gets broken/severed it causes the coach brakes to lock-up. I was concerned about that, I deliberately tried it without the toad, just plugged in the air line to the coach and the air gauges stayed at normal reading.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here on using the Brakemaster. Cannot recommend it highly enough. It is very easy to install or remove, less than 3 minutes start to finish. Love the break-away reservoir on top of the cylinder. I use the Brakemaster on 2 vehicles but have the break-away on both plus different Brakemaster cylinders adjusted for each vehicle.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
We are on our 4th toad with the Roadmaster Brakemaster with breakaway kit, love the ease of deinstall and reinstall when we change toads. Cant go wrong with this system.
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
I've decided to go with the Roadmaster system.

So...the next question is:

WITH breakaway - $799
WITHOUT breakaway - $549.

I'm interested in your opinions as to whether the breakaway feature is needed or not.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #27
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #28
With. Required by law in some states.

Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote