Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Brakemaster for coaches with air brakes by Roadmaster

We're going to start pulling a toad in the spring. I've got the tow bar (Demco Commander) and a base plate for my vehicle ('03 Durango) and now I'm looking at braking systems.

I like the all-air Brakemaster system because of its simplicity and the fact that is is an all-air system. I can't get enthused about the systems that require electricity and have a big box to set on the floor for the brakes in the toad. They all work with the brake lights, and in my coach the brake lights come on when I use the Jake Brake. Not a good setup for mountain driving.

Camping World has the system in stock at my nearest store. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-brakes/18516

Can any of you share your experiences and opinions about this system?

Thanks.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Cat

I have had ours for 5 years and really like it.Have had no problems. I also did not care for the the electric style with the inertia sensors that have to be set, these sensors if not adjusted properly can start applying the tows brakes while you are using exhaust or jake brake. Anyway there have been once or twice where I had to panic stops and I could full apply the tows brakes along with the motorhomes so I get maximum braking. But I like knowing, that I have control over the braking on both the motorhome and the tow with just the brake pedal. I would buy again. Good system.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have used it for years with no problems....I have the model with the breakaway reservoir tank...didn't see that in the one posted....
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

I have been using mine for three years now and I love it. I wouldn't use anything else. I installed the system myself and it was easy to do.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Also, I run my air line inside my coiled electric cord so neither of them hang down and if one comes loose the other will support it.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Rich, your assumption of the brake in a box systems are wrong. I have an Even Brake by Roadmaster. It is NOT activated by the coach's brake lights but by inertia. Normally it will not be activated by the exhaust brake, but occasionally it will briefly activate on downshifts when going down steep grades. Other systems may very well be activated by the coach's brake lights, but the Even Brake is not. Just to dispel another Internet falsehood. The Brakemaster system looked attractive to me too. But what I don't like about it is that if the air line between the motor home and towed gets broken, your coach brakes are going to lock up.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rich......take a look at the SMI Air Force One brake system. It works the same as the Brake Master, but has a smaller piston that mounts under the dash and doesn't need to be removed. AIR FORCE ONE | SMI Manufacturing Inc.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the brake-master on a gas MH. Like it fine, just takes a minute to hook up. You might like the Air force one better..
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #9

We also use the brakemaster. It is great! The only thing better would be if it didn't have to go in and out. I'm going to try Air Force One or M&G on the next vehicle. Good luck!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

We also have the Brakemaster (gas version) on our 2013 Adventurer. We used one for over 80,000 miles on our 2001 Adventurer, but left it there for the new owner. The only difference between the gas and diesel versions is that the gas one has a compressor that's installed in an outside storage compartment. The diesel version uses air from the coaches built in compressor.

We already have over 10,000 miles on the one I installed I our 2013 Adventurer. It's a great system and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a toad braking system.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same system and have used it for over 30,000 miles. Mine has a small cylinder mounted under the dash that seems to be missing from the new model that you have pictured. You do need to be protective of the supply hose. Air brakes lock up when they lose pressure. The system works well and I like the fact that it is not as heavy and cumbersome as the boxes.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
We're going to start pulling a toad in the spring. I've got the tow bar (Demco Commander) and a base plate for my vehicle ('03 Durango) and now I'm looking at braking systems.

I like the all-air Brakemaster system because of its simplicity and the fact that is is an all-air system. I can't get enthused about the systems that require electricity and have a big box to set on the floor for the brakes in the toad. They all work with the brake lights, and in my coach the brake lights come on when I use the Jake Brake. Not a good setup for mountain driving.

Camping World has the system in stock at my nearest store. Brakemaster for coaches with air brakes - Roadmaster 9160 - Towed Vehicle Braking - Camping World

Thanks.
Rich, here is another option, I installed one of these M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page on my wrangler and it sure makes for one of the quickest hook-ups on the market today and I believe they have one for your Durango. Happppppppy turkey day!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

I can't speak too highly of the Invisibrake system I fitted to our Wrangler two years ago. Totally out of sight, always there when you want it and works a treat. Check it out - CW sell and fit them.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Camping World has the system in stock at my nearest store. Brakemaster for coaches with air brakes - Roadmaster 9160 - Towed Vehicle Braking - Camping World

Thanks.
You might want to consider ordering from E-Trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Braking-Systems/Roadmaster/RM-9100.html

The price is considerably less than Camping World. It's usually a direct ship from Roadmaster. We bought the "second motorhome kit" from them and received it within about a week.