Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
I have my coach at the service shop to do regular maintenance and install the air line for the toad brake. They are giving me the run around about this will create a dangerous situation if the toad airline were to be cut or broken that I would lose braking to my rear axle. A call to Roadmaster about anything additional needed got a reply of no. The shop refused to do the work unless a proportioning valve was installed along with the aux line. My main issue is that I'm getting conflicting information, and don't know who is right. Can anyone with a better knowledge of air brakes and "trailer" brake lines, offer some additional perspective.

rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

First off. If you lose air to the rear brakes, you don't 'lose braking'. With no air, the rear brakes will lock on. The air is used to release them.

Second. The on board air compressor, if working correctly, is more than enough to keep up with the air loss caused by a ruptured 1/4" air line.

Not an ideal situation but the brakes WILL survive.

These guys don't know what they are doing and so trying to cover themselves.

Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Suggestions for installer

Any suggestions for an installer for this air brake line in the Greenville, SC area?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
A couple things... the rear brakes have two "air-cans" per drum,the parking (spring brake) is released by air pressure,then the actual "brake can" applies the brakes using air pressure.SMI uses a "tractor protection" valve and is D.O.T. approved ,so that valve could be installed and used with your brake system. I have installed several different brands of towbrakes including M&G,Roadmaster ,SMI, and others. I have moved a coach with the fitting installed but no air-line and didn't notice anything abnormal when braking,so worse case scenario you could apply the brakes enough to drain the air faster than the compressor could supply it (unlikely) ,the spring brake would apply and you would be stuck.Basically the shop is trying to limit their liability ,although the manufacturer of the brake system would technically be responsible .Basically, it will work,but they don't have to install something they feel is not in compliance with DOT rules.
Ken Perry Jr.
2006 Alpenlite 31RL and 03 Chevrolet K2500HD
85 4runner (toy) 91 4runner (daily driver)
Shoptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
I don't have an assistant to work the brakes to determine which is the service brake relay valve. Anyone know from my pictures? One has an open port, which the tech told me that it didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4272118943.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	51368   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1743633706.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	51369  

Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
To check your compressor and slack adjusters at least a couple times a year go to this link and see post #11. If the compressor passes you would not have a problem with a 1/4 inch line leak.
I would also find another shop or do it my self
Air Brake Automatic Slack Adjuster Adjustment
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Well after some help from this forum and more research, I felt more confident of the location to attach the brakemaster air line to the coach. After some verification testing, it took me only 41 minutes to install the coach air line. I would be interested to learn how to protect the braking in the coach similar to the way SMI does.

Thanks to everyone for your help!