Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Braking Problem with CRV Toad

I have been having brake rotor issues with my 06 CRV toad. It seems that I developed warped rotors after using my Brake Buddy braking system. I was able to get the rotors ground to eliminate the severe vibrations I was getting applying the brakes at 40 MPH or above. Then the next time I towed the CRV with the Brake Buddy installed, latter I started getting the vibration again while normal driving. I've set the BB sensitivity to a lower number (2 from a 4). I always follow the recommended procedures for the BB before I tow. I thought maybe when I bled the brakes using the auto start button on the BB that maybe the CRV brakes were staying engaged and overheating the rotors but I don't know how to check for that. Has anyone out there had this problem or have any suggestions?
k9arh_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #2

No I have never had the problem, and have towed for over 4 years and some 40,000KM. I always check the back brake tail lights when I bleed the bakes, to confirm that the bakes are not still on when it has finished. You can also observe if the piston has fully retracted. I do not see now the BB is causing your problem. Either the brakes are on or no. I do not believe that how you apply the brakes makes a difference. The only thing that might have an impact is if you jumped on the brakes really hard. You could put the BB in the passenger side and observe how it operates as you drive around.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I purchased and had the US Gear Unified brake system installed because of reports just like yours with the Brake Buddy. Maybe it's the BB, maybe not. I did not want to chance it. There are other BB reports of locked brakes, flat spots on the tires and other issues with the BB.

Warped rotors can easily be caused when a hot rotor runs through a mud puddle.

I have a temp gun that you just point and click to an object. It instantly shows the temp of whatever you point it at (e.g. Rotors, tires, exhaust, etc). With it, you can walk around the vehicle and check the temp of each within seconds.

Amazon.com: Raytek MT4 Mini Temp Non-Contact Thermometer Gun with Laser Sighting: Home Improvement

This will tell you for sure what your brake temps are at, and provides a real indication of what your brakes are doing or not doing. Excellent for toad and MH brakes and tires.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your Brake Buddy is causing your problem. It is applying the brakes too early and/or too hard and heating up and warping your rotors. Have a friend sit in the toad and take if for a ride. Both of you should be on your cell phones to comunicate what you are doing in the MH and how the Brake Buddy is reacting.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote