Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Braking system

Finally made a decision!
Purchased RVI2 portable system.
Why you may ask?
Well with everything going on before we leave for our trip (will post trip details in another post) I was just looking for simplicity and didn't feel comfortable to cut into air brake lines or "rube" a mounting system for the components that pull on the brake pedal bracket.
Now keep in mind we have not left for our trip yet so no judgement can be made how well the system will work or issues with install and removal each time connecting/disconnecting toad.
Maybe down the road will decide to sell brake system and connect a permanent option. I guess that might occur if I run into a few folks who have done the things I have not.
Also trying to decide if I should take my trike on Hydra Lift. That bit will add an additional 2' of hitch extension plus roughly 1,500 pounds to rear of coach with car behind that of 5,500 pounds. You can feel the load of the trike when going over bumps. We've hauled trike for 13,500 miles prior to getting car.
Its all about the fun factor!

Doug and Patty
2014 DSDP 4038
2013 Harley Triglide on a Hydra-lift
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
I'm not sure what your question is. I have the same brake assist unit. It seems to work OK. It does seem to turn on only in hard braking situations, judging by the "Braking" LCD on the receiver unit plugged into the dash. Your trike affects your GCVW and because of the hitch extension, it also demands that you de-rate the towing capacity of your hitch. As long as the de-rated capacity is above the 5500 lbs of your toad weight, you should be OK. Your toad weight also gets added to the total GCVW and this needs to be checked against the GCVWR listed for the motor home.

2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Another thing to consider about the HydraLift is that it creates a rotational moment (a torque) about the rear axle which actually results in a modest decrease in load on the front axle with a corresponding increase on the rear. So the total load on the rear axle increases by the sum of the actual weight of the lift and the vehicle on it plus the reduction in load on the front.

Since you probably have a tag axle DP it probably doesn't create any real issues, but the reduction in front axle load may make it desirable to change how much load you put on the tag in order to make sure the front axle has sufficient load.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Doug every thing I hear about the IRV2 system has been good but you need not to worry about adding a fitting and 1/4 inch air line to operate a air cylinder to operate the toad brakes, even if the 1/4 inch air line was cut it would not effect your air system that much as long as the air compressor is in good shape and the way you know that is to run a air system check. I use a roadmaster brake-master in our toads for years that works good and simple to transfer to a new toad
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had the older Classic Brake Buddy for at least 6 years and it served me well until my return from a trip a few weeks ago. I considered both buying a new system or repairing the old one. I talked to RVI and Brake Buddy and I was impressed with both companies attitudes. I have the Brakemaster system on the MH but have never used it. I never traced it to see if it was fully installed. The main reason I am staying with BB is because of the upgrade program to the Vantage Select. Mine is in the mail as I write this. The technology is basically the same as RVI. I like them both.
98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You will be happy with your RVI2 Brake package. If you haven't done it yet, you might consider the Toad TPMS Sensors for a complete package (removes one worry from towing). If you ever have questions just call them, they have the BEST customer service in the business!! Remember, cycle the system AFTER the Toad engine is shut down... don't ask...

Ken & Anita
2011 Newmar Essex, 45'- 4522, Cummins 500 ISM, 2013 CRV, RVI2 Brake with TPMS
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote