Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Braking System Decision

Please help. I usually do a bunch of homework and a decision becomes obvious. When it comes to which supplemental braking system to buy I'm really struggling. I'm down to Even Brake, Brake Buddy and ReadyBrake. Money is an issue. If you have an opinion I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was looking for our braking system, money was an issue also. I kept watching EBay and found a really good deal on a Brake Buddy Classic. Some will say that it's annoying to set up and take down but I don't have any problem with ours. I have about $700 total in the complete setup, Stowmaster 5000 towbar, base plates and braking system, all from EBay and all was in like new condition.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

My investigating led me to the Ready Brake. 12,000 miles later, no disappointments. I don't know how you could have a much simpler system. Price isn't bad either...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When I was searching for my brakes I found a few on Craigs list. Not knowing much about them I also talked to the factory and asked about availability for parts if needed down the road. The model I looked at was like new but parts avalibility was nada! check em out!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends on which coach you have. If you have air as I do, I would recommend the Roadmaster Brakemaster. Progressive braking, works extremely well, no problems, fairly easy to install (did it myself)! And a big PLUS, fairly inexpensive!

burfurd
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I did a lot of research and decided on the Even Brake, it went back under warranty for an air leak in the first 3 months, the 30 day turn around ended up being 45 days, right in the middle of the season. Now it's applying the brakes on the toad on rough roads even set on medium sensitivity. It's intermittent enough that I can't reproduce the issue at will so no point in sending it back again. Not happy with it but many people have no problems at all with them.

I'm seriously pondering putting it on a shelf and going with the Ready Brake.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. Tight budget for the extras but wanted to be as safe as possible. With some patience I found a well cared for Roadmaster EvenBrake with everything included including setup and use tips from the first owner on ebay for $395. After two years of use I am still completely happy with it. Have also bought my tow bars off of CL. First a Stowmaster 5000 and currently a blue ox Aventa II. Like you are thinking, it really helps to buy good quality used items and hold onto some of that cash for trips.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might also try hitchtrader.com for used units. You purchase directly from individual people there and can give them a call so you know they are an actual person.

burfurd
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

I recommend the RVI brake system, you can move them from toad to toad. I am selling my 7 year old SMI Stay N Play. I don't want an invasive system in my new Ford Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake Buddy at a good price on Craigslist here.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I recommend the RVI brake system, you can move them from toad to toad. I am selling my 7 year old SMI Stay N Play. I don't want an invasive system in my new Ford Explorer.
X2. Had the SMI, had the Brake Buddy. Really like the PVi better. JMHO.
Newmarboy is offline   Reply With Quote