Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Braking System for 2007 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 Toad

We have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39 S and tow a 2007 GMC four wheels down, what braking system would work best and be easy to install? Thanks a lot .
retiring1day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using RVI brake system for a year with no problems.
Dennit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #3

Thanks We saw it at a dealership yesterday , but after looking on line the model he had was discontinued. Thinking about ordering the new update model. Are they easy to install and how easy is it to install the break away part.?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am very pleased using SMI Air Force one. pulling a 2003 TAHOE Works great!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
retiring1day......choosing a brake system will be one of the toughest choices you'll make. There is no perfect system. They all have their pros and cons. Usually, you can buy the most expensive and get everything you need, but not with brake systems.

There are a couple of proportional units that run off your air brakes, SMI Air Force One and M&G. I have the SMI unit. You tap into your air brake system on the coach which is actually easy. They give you a "Y" fitting to add at one of your air brake cans. There is a wire lead that runs the length of the coach to your dash, with a red light, telling you the toad pedal is being depressed (optional). The truck install is a little more work, but pretty simple. They give you a box the size of a cigar box to mount under the hood. It runs an airline to a cylinder under the dash that pulls on your pedal. There is also a small reservoir in case the toad brakes away.

The M&G product just adds an attachment to the back of your brake booster and applies the brake by pushing on the booster, nothing to install inside the vehicle. It's a great system, but some cars don't have the space to move the brake booster out far enough to attach their component.

You have the box type that sits on the floor and pushes on your pedal. It has to be setup each time and then stored when using the toad.

There are several systems that electrically sense brake application and push or pull a cylinder on the brake pedal.

Lastly, is the Ready Brake. This is basically a surge brake like boats have. You can buy their tow bar with it built in or buy just a two foot section that slides into your hitch and uses your existing tow bar. This unit runs a metal cable throuh your front bumper and firewall to your brake pedal. You leave the cable installled and just cinnect up each time.

When discussing pros and cons, I like the proportional air system, but it doesn't give you any braking when descending a grade with your exhaust brake on. Since the Ready Brake is a surge system, it assists in down hill braking.

One thing I would suggest, is take the time to run the brake light wire to your dash so you can tell when the brakes are being applied.

If you do your own install, expect to spend between $500.00 -$1000.00. Don't be afraid to buy a used system. My neighbor was able to find a tow bar, brakes and body mounts by checking Hitch Source, Ebay and Craigslist.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Thanks Diplomat Don, Choosing a brake system will not be easy. We really wanted something that didn't require a lot of work to install,since we don't use the rv a lot . We do use the truck on a daily basis.this will require more research .
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Break away requires two holes to mount it and a wire run inside that you plug in when you use it. I used a right angle drill so I did not even take the grill off. The video on RVI web site is how long it takes to swap in, real easy.
Dennit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for all the replys. We are in the process of deciding which one. I just wonder does anyone tow without the brake system if on flat land? Especially for short trips. Thanks again!!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring1day View Post
Thanks everyone for all the replys. We are in the process of deciding which one. I just wonder does anyone tow without the brake system if on flat land? Especially for short trips. Thanks again!!
You could. But please review the risks and the physics on this thread first.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/the-p...ing-19087.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

Thanks Camp Daven for the link, I will be purchasing a braking system. Which one for a DP ?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring1day View Post
Thanks Camp Daven for the link, I will be purchasing a braking system. Which one for a DP ?
Braking systems go in the toad. DP or not doesnt matter.
I have a 12 year old Brake Buddy. Many others are out there.
Dont know what is best, only know that mine works really well.
Best wishes!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #12

I use the RVI Air Force One with my 2006 CR-V, installed myself. The hardest part was tapping into the air brakes on the coach.