Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

Braking system for gas RV

I'm considering installing a braking system in our gas RV before heading to the national parks out west. Does anyone have experience with the Invisibrake?
Saninduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

Isn't that for your toad?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are asking about braking for your toad, I use SMI Stay-in-Play. Plug in the lights and you are ready to go.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

+1 for UFOPilot. When I traded the gas unit for our current DP I still use the Stay-in-Play that was originally installed. It works so I'm not ready to change it to an Air Force One unit yet.
I believe Invisabrake works similar in that it uses the toads power assist system when applying the brake. In my opinion you don't want a braking system that simply pushes on a non energized break pedal. You can check out M&G and Unified as some others that utilize the toads power assist system.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We have the InvisiBrake in out Honda CRV that we tow with our MH. It works great and have had no problems with it. Make sure you Turn the Motorhome Park / Running lights on - this will activate the InvisiBrake charge circuit, which will provide a constant trickle charge to the vehicle's battery during towing.

Richard
Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many excellent towed aux-brake systems, I like all those mentioned above.. I had the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator and will tell you a bit about that...

First: FROM the motor home driver's seat I had FULL control of the towed brakes, I could adjust the gain,, (how hard it applied the brakes relative to how hard I applied the breakes on the MH) I could turn it to ZERO and disable the towed brakes if needed.

I could also manually set the towed brakes, full on or partially, useful in some conditions and one feature I did, in fact, use at least once.

And it does not run down the towed battery, it includes a charge for the towed.. Came in handy when the tail light lead for the towed on the MH failed... I simply hit the parking light switch on the towed and let the charge line maintain the charge.

HOOK UP.. One wire, one break-a-way lead. Thats all folks
Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just DIY installed the Readybrake surge brake system. Its a mechanical braking system that goes between your hitch and the tow bar. It's half the price of invisibrake and gets excellent reviews from just about everyone that has it. Check it out.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas