Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #1

braking system for Saturn Vue

Just purchased a 2007 Saturn Vue that was already setup to tow. I have a 2011 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser. I am looking for advice on a braking system for the Saturn. There seems to be a lot of options, can anyone advise?

Mike
mdalberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

If you've seen the opinions , you'll have to pick one. I have the SMI Stay N Play Duo and have been totally satisfied with it. The ease of set up is unmatched by the others.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #3

Brakebuddy Vantage...Works great plus I can use it in multiple vehicles...Sometimes I tow my Chevy 2500 with the golf cart in the back...there are many good braking systems out there...it does take some money though ;-)
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the same vehicle. I use Air Force 1 as my braking system. I have had it in since 2008 with no problems (knock on wood). It is very unobtrusive, and does not have to be removed. It stays in place.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Saturn vue toad brake system

We have a 2006 Vue which we have towed for about 36,000 miles with no trouble. I had to make two changes to allow easy daily towing. The first was to install a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9000. This requires running an brake airline from the coach to the Vue. I installed quick disconnects at the coach, the front of the Vue, and inside at the driver position. The Brakemaster fits over the brake pedal which has a mount on the floor. Changing the unit in and out daily is quite easy. My wife does this when we get started in the morning.
The second change was to the electric engine system. I installed a on/off switch inside the Vue under the driver side dash. It was wired to the 30amp position that is on when the car key is left in the ignition switch. Leaving the key in allows the steering wheel to be unlocked while the Vue is being towed. When the switch is off, this prevents the car battery from running down. I installed a stand alone 30amp fuse holder inline with the switch wiring.
If one is interested in purchasing a Brakemaster 9000 I suggest looking on Ebay. The unit is offered there for around $150.

Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
JimB,
Do you have a diagram or simple instructions with parts on the switch you made?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

I suggest going camping and seeing what the neighbors have, how they work, etc. Talking to them, asking all of the questions.
You will find one you like best. I did.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Community Administrator

I think the op has a gas coach. If so some of the systems being discussed here may not be applicable. That of course depends on my being correct here which has a 50/50 chance
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #9

Vue ignition circuit wiring

Wayne M,
The circuit is a simple loop. Starting at the ignition circuit 30amp fuse in the Vue fuse box, I removed the fuse for the ignition circuit and inserted one wire from a two wire electric cable that I ran through the firewall into the driver side of the passenger cabin. I installed a on/off toggle switch in the underside of the dash and connected the two wires from the cable so as to make or break the circuit.
Back at the Vue fuse box, I connected a stand alone fuse holder using the 30amp fuse to the hot side of the ignition fuse socket and to the second wire coming from the firewall. The connectors used in the ignition fuse socket were simple spade connectors. I took care to seal the hole I punched into the fuze box and firewall to minimize moisture.
This set up allows shutting off the ignition circuit, which if not done, will drain the battery. Interesting is that the Vue brake lights still work when the coach brakes are used. I get two sets of lights when using the brakes.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
I researched the others and then went to the annual national FMAC exhibit hall. It took me several days to get through all the booths (hehehe) and almost all the braking systems where on display. I settled on RVBrake (www.rvbrake.com) 1-800-815-2159. I love it!!! A wireless monitor you plug into your lighter in the cab makes it one of the easiest to set up and install. It's very trouble free. I never ran power back through my toad and never had toad battery issues for up to 3 day trips. Affordable and dependable and they are very helpful on the phone with any questions you may have at any point in your pre or post ownership experience.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
JimB, Thanks.

Regarding gas coach, Air Force 1 provides an air pump for gas coaches. (At least the did in 2008) I believe it mounts to the TOAD along with AF1.