Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to albawsadv
Braking system for toad

We recently purchased a 2014 Honda CRV as our toad. We are in the process of getting a BlueOx tow package. Does anybody have any advice for the best brake system for the toad. I have heard the BlueOx Patriot - quoted by the dealer at $1,395 as well as the BlueOx Surge Brake - Auto Stop from a fellow camper. Any advice or suggestions for a brake system for the toad?
Costs? Benefits? etc?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

If you plan on having the CRV for a while, the build-in SMI Air Force One for air or SMI Stay-In-Play Duo are pretty good systems.

If you change the toad often, then the Patriot is a good choice.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Probably the best thing on the market today is the Readybrute Elite tow bar and brake system. It's an all in one unit for the price of the typical tow bar system alone.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What kind of coach do you have? Air brakes?

Your going to get lot of opinions on this.
Removable vs. permanent
Removable runs on your Toad battery, so you might need a charge line.
Careful of the ones that only activate with brake lights....if you have a engine brake, your brake lights will activate but you might not want the TOAD brakes to come on.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Probably the best thing on the market today is the Readybrute Elite tow bar and brake system. It's an all in one unit for the price of the typical tow bar system alone.

Ron

Ditto.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
What kind of coach do you have? Air brakes?

Your going to get lot of opinions on this.
Removable vs. permanent
Removable runs on your Toad battery, so you might need a charge line.
Careful of the ones that only activate with brake lights....if you have a engine brake, your brake lights will activate but you might not want the TOAD brakes to come on.

Regards,

Dan
I have a 2015 Tiffin 36LA gas unit. Had a quote to install the entire system (Blue Ox), 14 hours of labor with a total cost of close to $5000. First time MH owner. Just trying to do my homework.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
If you plan on having the CRV for a while, the build-in SMI Air Force One for air or SMI Stay-In-Play Duo are pretty good systems.

If you change the toad often, then the Patriot is a good choice.
First time MH owner. 2015 Tiffin 36LA, I typically keep my cars for a long time. I do not think I will be getting rid on the Honda any time soon. Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the SMI stay in place as I do not have air brakes. How involved is the installation of the SMI stay in place?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
braking system for toad

Agree, it's the best bang for the buck. You can get tow at with interested brake system, it just the brake system by itself to use with any tow bar.

I don't recommend any brake you have to put in and out - it gets old real quick. I have had a Brake Buddy...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
SMI Stay-in-Play Duo Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
First time MH owner. 2015 Tiffin 36LA, I typically keep my cars for a long time. I do not think I will be getting rid on the Honda any time soon. Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the SMI stay in place as I do not have air brakes. How involved is the installation of the SMI stay in place?
Here's a link to a Web page with the current SMI Stay-in-Play Duo installation instructions.

The CD that came with my Duo included a video that shows an installation in a CRV. They used to have a link to that video on the SMI Web site, but I didn't see one in a quick look around. etrailer (Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924) has a 2014 CRV installation video at this link.

I installed the Duo in our Fit. If you are comfortable working on car wiring you should have no problem.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #10

We have the Blue Ox Patriot braking system. It works well and we have no complaints.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
I have a 2015 Tiffin 36LA gas unit. Had a quote to install the entire system (Blue Ox), 14 hours of labor with a total cost of close to $5000. First time MH owner. Just trying to do my homework.

Wow! 5K? That's way too much. I just installed a Ready Brute Elite on my buddy's mh/jeep for about $1800 total. That included the tow bar, Blue Ox base plate, adapters for base plate to tow bar, 7-pin umbilical cable, toad lights for jeep, and safety cables. Install took about 3 - 4 hours.

When I got my Roadmaster base plate, Sterling All Terrain tow bar, safety cables, umbilical cable, toad lights AND my US Gear Unified Brake System, I spent about 3K and did the install myself. No complaints with my system, but if I had to do it over again, I would go with the Readybrute system.

You're wise to do your homework, but it sounds like you're already locked in on the Blue Ox tow bar. Can you cancel? If yes, you can adapt the Ready "Brake" toad brake system to the Blue Ox tow bar....but it's better to get the all in one unit.

Good luck..

Ron
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Wow! 5K? That's way too much. I just installed a Ready Brute Elite on my buddy's mh/jeep for about $1800 total. That included the tow bar, Blue Ox base plate, adapters for base plate to tow bar, 7-pin umbilical cable, toad lights for jeep, and safety cables. Install took about 3 - 4 hours.

When I got my Roadmaster base plate, Sterling All Terrain tow bar, safety cables, umbilical cable, toad lights AND my US Gear Unified Brake System, I spent about 3K and did the install myself. No complaints with my system, but if I had to do it over again, I would go with the Readybrute system.

You're wise to do your homework, but it sounds like you're already locked in on the Blue Ox tow bar. Can you cancel? If yes, you can adapt the Ready "Brake" toad brake system to the Blue Ox tow bar....but it's better to get the all in one unit.

Good luck..

Ron
Not locked in to the Blue Ox system. We just asked for a quote from Campers Inn, and it was sticker shock for us!!! We are getting quotes from 2 other RV dealers and are looking at checking the other systems suggested. So you think the Readybrute system is the way to go? We are so new to all this since we went from tent camping to a new Tiffin in March of this year. Just got our "toad" last month. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Not locked in to the Blue Ox system. We just asked for a quote from Campers Inn, and it was sticker shock for us!!! We are getting quotes from 2 other RV dealers and are looking at checking the other systems suggested. So you think the Readybrute system is the way to go? We are so new to all this since we went from tent camping to a new Tiffin in March of this year. Just got our "toad" last month. Thanks for your input.
Yes, I do. It's not that difficult to install if you are at all the least bit handy with tools. I got my friend's set up all on Amazon, and if you have Amazon Prime, no shipping charges.

If you do a search here (or over on rv.net) on Readybrute, you can see for yourself all the satisfied owners. it's simple, cheap, and reliable.

good luck

Ron
Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

I too have a 2014 Honda CRV and purchased rvibrake2 directly from them for $1100. I took the CRV to a hitch place and they installed the base plate and wiring for the car for $930 and bought the blue ox alpha tow bar from Amazon for $548 so a lot less than $5k. A hitch shop is probably the best place to go.

Tags
toad