Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Wouldn't tow without an aux. braking system. We use the SMI Stay N Play Duo. Very happy with it. Nothing to move around...flip a switch and go. Bob
Same here. And it works just as good behind our new DP as it did behind our previous gasser. And no changes to the system when we switched rv's, it is completely contained in the toad.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've towed a Jeep, both Wrangler and Grand Cherokee for 23 years and have never had anyone check whether or not I had a braking system. Incidentally, I don't, but I'm thinking about one.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I've towed a Jeep, both Wrangler and Grand Cherokee for 23 years and have never had anyone check whether or not I had a braking system. Incidentally, I don't, but I'm thinking about one.
Friends of ours towed their Jeep for 7 years without a braking system. They had one installed in Quartzsite in January. We just got an email from them last week and told us about their hitch failure while traveling in Texas. The hitch broke loose from the RV and the break away stopped the jeep from getting loose and causing further damage.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ramzfan you are very fortunate that you have had no accidents. But when and if you do, make sure you tell your insurance and the officers that you were thinking about purchasing one. Especially tell the people that you might hurt along the way. that you were thinking about it. I spent 950.00 for my AFO and I put it in myself. Not that everyone can install their own. But you spend 100,000 grand and more. Maybe 30 grand and to those of you that don't have an a braking system. Shame on you. But to each his own. I don't have a surge protector... go figure. BUT I'm not hurting anybody but myself. I'm thinking about getting one though.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi micki49,
I have the US GEAR system. Go to Unified Tow Brake and read about it. That being said, get the braking system that interfaces with you the best. Your the one who need to connect and disconnect. Your the one who must decipher the lights and noises it makes when something goes wrong. Have the units you are considering demonstrated to you. Then decide what is best, for you. They all work. The difference is how they will work for you.
This is what we use too.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Use a Roadmaster Brakemaster on my Ford Ranger 4X4 towing 4 down (5 speed). Had one of the Blue Ox self contained units but really was dissatisfied with it. Sold it and bought the Brakemaster with breakaway and am perfectly satisfied. Did most of the installation myself with some help from a friend so I can work on it if I have a problem.

burfurd
Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I have the US Gear Unified Tow Brake and it has been trouble free. It also charges the toad battery and has the break away system. I would not be without a Toad breaking system.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #22

I've towed for 11 years with a brake system. My latest is the Roadmaster Brakemaster and I am happy with it.

In those 11 years I've only really needed it a few times. But, when I did need it I was sure glad to have it. I am sure that, because of the brake system, I was able to avoid a collission. None of the "avoided" accidents would have been my fault. No matter how careful you are, there is always someone with their head in a place requiring a plexiglass belly button to see where they are going.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Someone also passed a law in your home state of Nevada saying a toad over 3000 lbs (or trailer over 1500 lbs) was required to have aux. brakes.
I have never been stopped and checked for an auxiliary braking system...until I am, I will continue as I am now.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Rechargeable battery?

Is there such a thing as a rechargeable battery that can be used for the Auxiliary brake system in the toad? I'm not talking about a car battery, I mean a rechargeable battery that you plug into a 110 volt outlet when done towing for the day. Some of the brake systems need to be run off of a battery. This would really be a convenient way to charge the battery. Just like the battery in my DW's electric bike. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Is there such a thing as a rechargeable battery that can be used for the Auxiliary brake system in the toad? I'm not talking about a car battery, I mean a rechargeable battery that you plug into a 110 volt outlet when done towing for the day. Some of the brake systems need to be run off of a battery. This would really be a convenient way to charge the battery. Just like the battery in my DW's electric bike. Thanks, Joe
Joe

I used one like this Amazon.com: Schumacher PSJ-2212 12 V 22 Amp DSR Jump Starter: Automotive when I had my EvenBrake.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Joe

I used one like this Amazon.com: Schumacher PSJ-2212 12 V 22 Amp DSR Jump Starter: Automotive when I had my EvenBrake.
That answers my question. The 26 reviews are very good too. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
That answers my question. The 26 reviews are very good too. Thanks, Joe
I actually bought mine at Costco for less than $100. I couldn't find it on their website so I sent you that link so you could get the idea of what I used.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A truckers version of the Road Atlas has state towing laws printed for reference along with other neat info. States require breaking by weight some 1000#'s up to 3000#'. As a safety feature it is a really smart thing to do. I've had to panic stop one time in nine years and I'm sure our toad brakes saved our bacon. I think it becomes an issue when you get stopped for some other reason or you have an accident. "Be Prepared"
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote