Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
I towed my Jeep CJ7 for years without aux brakes. I finally was convinced by my insurance agent to look into one. I bought the SMI and wonder why I didn't do it a whole lot sooner. Much easier to stop the rig at all speeds. Find an empty parking lot and measure your stopping distance of your MH, then hook up the toad and try it again at the same speed then measure again. Also the safety of the break away system if something goes wrong.
Just my 2 cents
Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
A truckers version of the Road Atlas has state towing laws printed for reference along with other neat info. States require breaking by weight some 1000#'s up to 3000#'. As a safety feature it is a really smart thing to do. I've had to panic stop one time in nine years and I'm sure our toad brakes saved our bacon. I think it becomes an issue when you get stopped for some other reason or you have an accident. "Be Prepared"
+1 Exactly

Unified Tow Brake for me.

CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I use the ready brake tow bar by NSA which has a surge brake syatem built into the tow bar. Whenever I brake the rig, it applies the car's brakes. I love it!

Dan
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I have used the US Gear Unified Tow Brake for 3 years with no problems. My Diplomat came pre-wired for it and I belive Winnebago does also. You might want to verify that.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #33

hardy1000, I appreciate your information on the US Gear UTB. I'm considering that one or a SMI S&P Duo for a potential 2011 Wrangler Unlimitedl

This may be a silly question, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere--an aux braking system in a TOAD (not a trailer) does not additionally require an electronic brake controller in the RV, does it?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
RoadMaster BrakeMaster runs off air from the MH.
It does use 12V to light a Led in the dash of the MH that shows when the brakes are applied. But that probably would take a month or so to run the battery down if never unhooked or the toad started.

Most that use the car battery to power the system. Use a charge line from the MH. Very easy to hook one up.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblu View Post
hardy1000, I appreciate your information on the US Gear UTB. I'm considering that one or a SMI S&P Duo for a potential 2011 Wrangler Unlimitedl

This may be a silly question, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere--an aux braking system in a TOAD (not a trailer) does not additionally require an electronic brake controller in the RV, does it?
I can only speak to the Unified tow brake and it does not need a brake controller. The US Gear, SMI and M&G are mentioned alot on this forum
and all get great comments.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
After looking at many different systems, I decided upon the Ready Brute Elite aluminum towbar with an integrated inertia braking system. When I slow down quickly, the toad presses against the motorhome - a spring converts that inertia pressing into a pull on a wire that applies the toad's brakes. Nothing electronic involved. The system works just great. There is a light in the dashboard so I can tell if the toad brakes are applied. I can drive up/down mountain roads all with no problem. I had one quick stop and that worked fine too. The guy at NightShift Auto (NSA), Tod, was very helpful too. I also got their emergency brakeaway switch and a rock-guard (very heavy screen like material that runs from the MH bumper to the Toad bumper).
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred622 View Post
After looking at many different systems, I decided upon the Ready Brute Elite aluminum towbar with an integrated inertia braking system. When I slow down quickly, the toad presses against the motorhome - a spring converts that inertia pressing into a pull on a wire that applies the toad's brakes. Nothing electronic involved. The system works just great. There is a light in the dashboard so I can tell if the toad brakes are applied. I can drive up/down mountain roads all with no problem. I had one quick stop and that worked fine too. The guy at NightShift Auto (NSA), Tod, was very helpful too. I also got their emergency brakeaway switch and a rock-guard (very heavy screen like material that runs from the MH bumper to the Toad bumper).
Same system that we use. Works like a charm! Easy to hook up and go!
Dan
Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I am looking at a Tow Dolly to tow my Odyssey so that I can change to other vehicles easily. Should the dolly have a braking system as well? The brakes on the MH are excellent, and the extra weight should not be that great. It does not seem a good idea to apply the brakes of the vehicle on the dolly.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the responses above regarding the Ready Brake. Just had one installed on our new Malibu and really like it. Works as advertised. Very simple, just connect two small cables at the hitch and go.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote