Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Braking system for tow car

Need Help: Do you need braking system for tow car and if so which one is best?
micki49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
You will get a lot of opposing answers here. I personally think everyone should have one, I have an M&G installed on the Jeep GC.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't tow without one. Check out SMI, they make one for gasser's and one for diesels. Both get high praises from users.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
A matter of preference and a whole lot of research. When all is said and done. All have pros and cons. Depends on how much money you want to spend and how much bother you are willing to contend with while hooking up. I myself went with SMI AF0. I installed it myself after the Service department wanted 8 hours labor to install it. The AFO reps at the Rally I went to told me how and what I needed, the amount of time it SHOULD take. PLUS the TECH support you get on the phone is outstanding. I even went to the extent of sending pics and they called back with the answers I needed to finish job. Also on a side note. They said that the dealer I went to that quoted me 8 hours labor should fire all their techs cause they can and should be able to do it in 4 hours. The job took me a total of 6 hours and that was my first install. with phone calls.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
Need Help: Do you need braking system for tow car and if so which one is best?
First, you should check with your state's laws, about towing a car. Do whatever the law says and you should be good in all states. However, I would not be without one, for my own peace of mind and the potential liability that exists. I have a "BrakeBuddy" and am happy with it.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #6

We towed our Wrangler for 2 years without a supplemental braking system. That changed when the state we are originally from began actively checking RVs for supplemental braking systems. We use a Blue Ox Patriot and are completely satisfied with the performance. I have to say that I can definitely tell a difference since I began using the system and I would strongly recommend that you consider using one when towing.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Have used the M &G system since 01 as I use the KISS theory( keep it simple stupid) . When I enstall anything I have to be very aware of a SUE ( stupid user error).

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure
llib enad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #8

Used M & G for 6 years, no problems.
shortimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

Most states require one on anything being towed over 1500 lbs. We use an M&G system and it works great and is very easy to hook up in 20 seconds.
Highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wouldn't tow without an aux. braking system. We use the SMI Stay N Play Duo. Very happy with it. Nothing to move around...flip a switch and go. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi micki49,
I have the US GEAR system. Go to Unified Tow Brake and read about it. That being said, get the braking system that interfaces with you the best. Your the one who need to connect and disconnect. Your the one who must decipher the lights and noises it makes when something goes wrong. Have the units you are considering demonstrated to you. Then decide what is best, for you. They all work. The difference is how they will work for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad Brake

I have used a Brake Buddy since 2001, on two different HR Gassers. I have had minor problems which the company addressed right away. One was a circuit boad failure and they asked me for a General Post Office mail address that I might be at in (x) amount of days. I got a new one waiting for me and the box was used to send mine back. Naturally there was a fee cause it was out of warentee. 3 weeks ago I had a problem with the reciever ( my fault). I could use the Brake Buddy w/o the receiver cause it only told me when the brake was activated. I called them. A new one was $150.00, but if I sent the old one to them they would repair it and send it back to me for $40.00. They completely serviced the old one and I got it back UPS in 3 days.
These are only my experiences, but I didn't like the idea of cutting into my m/h braking system with another brand. I like being able to move it with me to my next m/h.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD
Hi micki49,
I have the US GEAR system. Go to Unified Tow Brake and read about it.
That's what we use too. Been very happy with the system so far.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #14

DavidC1225 - Just curious, (we have a brake system ) was the state "checking" for brake systems Georgia? Have snow-birded there over 10 years and never ran across a checkpoint.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote