Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #15

Bounder Brakemaster connection

I purchased a Brakemaster 9100 system for my 2003 Bounder 38N / 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ. The Jeep installation went well. The cockpit indicator light install also wasn't too challenging. But now I'm ready to install the MH air line and need advice exactly how and where to connect. I had hoped to connect to an unused port on the rear brake connections but I don't see one available. Will it be necessary to cut one of the rear brake tubes to install a tee? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Also look at M&G if they have one for your vehicle. Simplest most foolproof aux brake device in my mind.
M&G sounds really good. I have a gas motorhome, and M&G looks like the best brake available for gas vehicles (currently have an Even Brake; it works, but would prefer something better and with quicker and easier hook-up). Unfortunately, my toad is an '09 Odyssey and M&G isn't available for it. I contacted them and asked them what the issue was, and they said it won't physically fit. Should I ever buy a vehicle just to be a toad, nothing that can't take an M&G will make it onto my shortlist.

bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #17

Hybrid cars seem to require the more expensive brake systems, like patriot. Something to do with the braking system on those hybrides.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Supplemental Braking Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight13 View Post
I'm replacing my braking system for my towed vehicle. I've have narrowed down to two units. Air Force One and Brakemaster by Roadmaster. Can anyone advise if one unit is better than the other.
As one of the other readers noted - the M&G system is the absolute best. It is a mechanical system that does not require ANY electronics or mounting an arm on the brake pedal. It operates off the air brake system on your coach. When you apply the coach brakes - it sends air to your master cylinder to activate your tow car brakes. Depending on how fast you are trying to stop - controls how much air goes to your toad brakes. This system is superior in that it is not trying to activate a 'dead pedal' on your tow vehicle. This complete system is significantly less cost than other systems.
Here is the caveat - the M&G system is available for many cars - but not all cars. It is tow car specific. Once installed - you Never touch it again for adjusting , maintenance or anything else.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
M&G sounds really good. I have a gas motorhome, and M&G looks like the best brake available for gas vehicles (currently have an Even Brake; it works, but would prefer something better and with quicker and easier hook-up). Unfortunately, my toad is an '09 Odyssey and M&G isn't available for it. I contacted them and asked them what the issue was, and they said it won't physically fit. Should I ever buy a vehicle just to be a toad, nothing that can't take an M&G will make it onto my shortlist.
SMI Manufacturing has a great brake for your setup. It is the Stay-In-Play Duo.
It will work in your Odyssey and any other toad you switch to..FWIW.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #20

Blue Ox

I have only used the Blue Ox set up for towing my Tahoe behind my 2005 South Wind. It was suggested by my father in law who used it for many years going from Canada to Arizona.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't rule out the RViBrake2. It has some nice features as well, and the selling point is it reacts faster than the roadmaster, and is lighter and easier to store. The RVi uses an internal air compressor and air piston rather than electric motivation.

I'm not real thrilled with the claw attachment to the brakes on any of them, which the cable pull SMIs would overcome, but I like the portability and use on any "towed" vehicle and any "tow" vehicle.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #22

Long time Brakemaster user

I have been using the same brakemaster system for 10 years now.
This is the 3rd coach to use it and the second TOAD
Our current TOAD is a 2013 Chevy Equinox and the system has worked
perfectly.
Been using it so long that the better half & I can hook up and connect
or disconnect including Roadmaster tow bar in about 15 min.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Air Force One

been using it for five years and it is a no problems system that works great. Honda CRV and Discovery 39R. Best product for this application.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I had a Blue Ox Patriot and hated it. Installed an Air Force One and absolutely love it. Can actually feel it applying the brakes on the Toad which I could not feel with the Patriot.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #25

I have used a Brakemaster to tow a Honda Odyssey since 2006. It has worked great in all conditions, including an unexpected spring blizzard. (Just took my time and braked easy.)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #26

I have the Brakemaster Invisibrake...new to rv'ing this year but already have over 4K miles and it works perfectly.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We have had Airforce One for 7 years of full-timing, on two different Saturns. We like that it's truly proportional braking, and that it's so easy to use. TEP attaches the toad and the electrical cord while BAK attaches the brake air line and dead man cable, BAK goes into the MH and TEP to the rear of the toad to check turn signals and brake lights, then TEP attaches our Roadmaster tow defender (a mesh screen over the tow set up that protects the toad from road debris). It all takes us less than 5 minutes.
bakntep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #28

What does the cost of the M-G system run on average??

Tags
tow