Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two different MH's, two different toads and one ReadyBrake. It works!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #30

I've said this before, the Readybrake which we have happily used over the past 8 years is just too simple for some. How can something so simple work so well? Wouldn't logic say that systems costing 2 or 3 times as much be better?
In this case simple is better. We are using it on our second MH.
The only negative with the Readybrake is that it's a permanent installation on your toad, so if you change your toad regularly that might be an issue.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Just installed the NSA Ready brake. Easy installation, and easy hook up for the road. Very simple operation, and works smoothly.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #32
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Braking system for towing 4 down

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
I've said this before, the Readybrake which we have happily used over the past 8 years is just too simple for some. How can something so simple work so well? Wouldn't logic say that systems costing 2 or 3 times as much be better?

In this case simple is better. We are using it on our second MH.

The only negative with the Readybrake is that it's a permanent installation on your toad, so if you change your toad regularly that might be an issue.

X2 on simple!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #33
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Braking system for towing 4 down

A couple of minutes to hookup and go. Same for unhooking. The surge brake system works flawless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403581586.073903.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	66048Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403581602.649928.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	66049
Old 06-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
A toad brake system does not have to be expensive or clumsy to be good. Any system that has to be placed on the floor to use as a toad brake then removed to drive the toad should be discarded as a choice as they become a PITA to deal with.

Well, as someone who has one of those expensive clumsy systems, I choose to disagree with it being a PITA to deal with. I can have it set up and ready to go in less than 2 minutes and removed in about 20 seconds.

This conversation always results in the same mine is better than yours mentality. Research your options and choose the system YOU feel most comfortable with based on what your criteria is.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RVIBrake 2 so easy , small and light. Works great !
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #36

How much are you going to use the brake, and how much are you willing to pay for convenience?
If you are a snowbird and tow the car for ten days per year (5 days up, 5 days down), then convenience may not have great value. On the other hand, if you are on the road full time and hooking up every few days, then you will appreciate the convenience of plug-and-go with the built-in systems.

You will have to pay additional labor cost for installing a built-in system. More labor costs if you want to move it to your next car. Some built-in systems are car model specific. Another consideration is that if a built-in system is broken, then the car is broken. In a portable system, the box is broken and can be easily replaced with another box right now. This may or may not be a consideration depending on whether your mindset is "We won't leave the campground without an aux brake", or "We'll just take it easy and we'll be fine". How many non-functioning aux brakes are in place just to be legal (sort of)?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
A couple of minutes to hookup and go. Same for unhooking. The surge brake system works flawless.

Attachment 66048Attachment 66049

If I understand it correctly, the surge brake is a simple mechanical device that uses a cable to pull the brake pedal in proportion to how hard the car is pushing on the tow hitch (i.e. how hard the seatbelt is pressing on your chest).

How much effort does it take to tune this system initially, and what feedback do you have that it is working correctly?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #38
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are any number of competing systems, we landed on the Air Force One and I'm very pleased with it. One 5 second hookup and the brake system is good to go.

I can tell you having to mess with the "box on the floor" type of system every time gets old quick, not to mention having to find a place to store it when it's not in use.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #39
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
If I understand it correctly, the surge brake is a simple mechanical device that uses a cable to pull the brake pedal in proportion to how hard the car is pushing on the tow hitch (i.e. how hard the seatbelt is pressing on your chest).

How much effort does it take to tune this system initially, and what feedback do you have that it is working correctly?
The set up of the surge cable attached to the brake states to have 2" of play up and down. This equates to about 2" of slack at the vehicle. You can wire a sensor/light that runs to your dash. This notifies you when the brake is being applied to the towed vehicle. I never bothered with it for my truck as I feel I have a pretty good idea when the brake is applied from use over the last few years. I have power adjustable pedals in my truck so this is easily done.

I bought the system because it was cheaper than a tow bar and a separate braking system. I looked at them all. I couldn't find any derogatory reviews on the ReadyBrute and ReadyBrake system.
I like it because it is just so simple and all mechanical. When I unhook, nothing to put away and store. Only I drive my truck so the cabling is always set right.

Everyone has their opinion. Mine just works well for me and my situation. I'd buy another one without question if I had to.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #40

Ready brake

Problem for me and the Ready Break is on the View/Navion WBG does not approve a surge brake system. Reported damage to RV tow package. Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
The set up of the surge cable attached to the brake states to have 2" of play up and down. This equates to about 2" of slack at the vehicle. You can wire a sensor/light that runs to your dash. This notifies you when the brake is being applied to the towed vehicle. I never bothered with it for my truck as I feel I have a pretty good idea when the brake is applied from use over the last few years. I have power adjustable pedals in my truck so this is easily done.

I bought the system because it was cheaper than a tow bar and a separate braking system. I looked at them all. I couldn't find any derogatory reviews on the ReadyBrute and ReadyBrake system.
I like it because it is just so simple and all mechanical. When I unhook, nothing to put away and store. Only I drive my truck so the cabling is always set right.

Everyone has their opinion. Mine just works well for me and my situation. I'd buy another one without question if I had to.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you ever tried to use the brakes on a car when the engine is not running? Do you remember how much pressure you had to apply to the brake pedal to stop the car?

How many of these supplemental brake systems utilizes the vacuum system to activate the toad's power brake system (like when the engine is running)?

Food for thought.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
X2 on the RVi2 system. Easy to use, works great, and compact.

(X3) Love it mine is without tire pressure sensors!

Tags
towing