Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Have you ever tried to use the brakes on a car when the engine is not running? Do you remember how much pressure you had to apply to the brake pedal to stop the car?

How many of these supplemental brake systems utilizes the vacuum system to activate the toad's power brake system (like when the engine is running)?

Food for thought.

It sounds more like a policy decision than an engineering one. Do you mess with the vehicle's internals and leverage what is already there, or take a hands-off approach and add only external, removable components?

The same policy issue appears in the thread on toad lights. Do you cut the vehicle's wiring and install diodes to use the existing lights, or drill holes for additional bulbs and wiring that have nothing to do with the vehicle?

The answer is probably based on the owner's level of understanding of the technology. Can the built-in product disable the vehicle or make it unsafe? If you understand it well enough to know that the answer is a firm NO, then you may choose the built-in option. If not, then you will probably feel safer with the add-on approach, knowing that you can remove it in the event of a failure. This customer education would appear to be the challenge that the maufacturers' marketing departments face.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #44

Ok, I had the Ready Brute Elite and used it for 2 years. I became concerned about a couple of things. Never knew if it was adjusted right. 2" of play depends on how hard you pull. The light in the dash of the motor home just indicated that the lever on the brake system had been moved a certain amount, not that the toad brakes had been applied. The toad brakes without the power assist is extremely difficult to apply. It takes a lot of pressure to create significant braking. I was also concerned about the cables causing damage in the engine compartment if applied strongly. I was concerned that the brakes on toad were being applied when using engine brake. The dash light would come on but was it just the slack being taken up or were they being applied. I didn't want them applied unless I needed the service brakes. The system was simple, less expensive, and easily installed.
But with all the reservations I had ,when we changed toads I decided to go with the M&G system with a Roadmaster Sterling AllTerrain and the Ready Brake is sitting in storage. So far I have been extremely happy with this set up.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #45
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Have you ever tried to use the brakes on a car when the engine is not running? Do you remember how much pressure you had to apply to the brake pedal to stop the car?

How many of these supplemental brake systems utilizes the vacuum system to activate the toad's power brake system (like when the engine is running)?

Food for thought.
When you brake with the coach, inertia applies the surge arm on the Ready Brake that pulls the brake cable. There is no way that a human can apply the same amount of pressure on the brake pedal when the engine us off that a 5000 lb truck puts on the surge system to apply the brake.
Personally, that's what I like about the system. It's graduated by force.

Again...just my opinion. I haven't owned every other style on the market so I can't comment on their abilities.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #46

Thanks, getting great replies. I called Unified brake and they actually told me to not try to install that system in the Honda fit as too small and difficult. I do all my own modifications so installing one would be no expense, and I actually enjoy projects like this. I had a link n a used Roadmaster Brake Pro, but it is out of production so even at $325 I do not think it worth it. I have decided to get the Stay In Play Duo. Found one used I am looking at for $400. Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
How much are you going to use the brake, and how much are you willing to pay for convenience?
If you are a snowbird and tow the car for ten days per year (5 days up, 5 days down), then convenience may not have great value. On the other hand, if you are on the road full time and hooking up every few days, then you will appreciate the convenience of plug-and-go with the built-in systems.

You will have to pay additional labor cost for installing a built-in system. More labor costs if you want to move it to your next car. Some built-in systems are car model specific. Another consideration is that if a built-in system is broken, then the car is broken. In a portable system, the box is broken and can be easily replaced with another box right now. This may or may not be a consideration depending on whether your mindset is "We won't leave the campground without an aux brake", or "We'll just take it easy and we'll be fine". How many non-functioning aux brakes are in place just to be legal (sort of)?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #47
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Another consideration is that if a built-in system is broken, then the car is broken. In a portable system, the box is broken and can be easily replaced with another box right now. This may or may not be a consideration depending on whether your mindset is "We won't leave the campground without an aux brake", or "We'll just take it easy and we'll be fine". How many non-functioning aux brakes are in place just to be legal (sort of)?
That's just ludicrous to think that someone would even consider putting something that important not working into their coach just to be legal. Do they think that their coach braking system is good enough? Are they relying on exhaust brakes? The last two coaches I bought, the exhaust brake was seized solid and not working. Are all of you out there sure yours is working? You may be relying on the transmission alone and the sound of it downshifting when the exhaust brake is applied gives the false impression you have added assisted braking. If it's seized, you are missing a key function of the braking system on a coach and a key safety feature!
Without it, along with a non-working toad braking system is a recipe for disaster!

Quote:

The same policy issue appears in the thread on toad lights. Do you cut the vehicle's wiring and install diodes to use the existing lights, or drill holes for additional bulbs and wiring that have nothing to do with the vehicle?

The answer is probably based on the owner's level of understanding of the technology. Can the built-in product disable the vehicle or make it unsafe? If you understand it well enough to know that the answer is a firm NO, then you may choose the built-in option. If not, then you will probably feel safer with the add-on approach, knowing that you can remove it in the event of a failure. This customer education would appear to be the challenge that the maufacturers' marketing departments face.
I read a lot of posts on people who did not like the added wiring and bulbs to the rear tail lights once they were done. Many stories read of the light assemblies falling out due to not fitting the curvature of the lense. Fogging of the lense after install due to a poor fit was another issue as well as complaints of all the plastic filings sitting in the bottom of the lense after drilling the holes.
The diode install seemed like the best scenario, however, not one I would wish to do on my own.
I opted to have my truck dealer do the diode install under the hood into the wiring harness for liability and warranty reasons because my truck was new.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
That's just ludicrous to think that someone would even consider putting something that important not working into their coach just to be legal. Do they think that their coach braking system is good enough?

Based on the RVers I have talked to, two issues cause them to stop using their aux brake.

First, the brake has damaged the tow vehicle. If set too high, it will wear out the brake pads, rotors and tires very quickly. The nine page manual that came with my aux brake points out how easy it is to use, but does not do a good job of explaining the intricacies of tuning the settings to your vehicle. It mentions that damage can occur, but then avoids dwelling on that point. If the owner applies the thinking that more is better, then damage is likely. If its destroying your car, why would you continue to use it?

Second, the unit is failing, but the owner thinks he just doesn't understand how to use it, or does not realize there is a problem. The built-in self test capabilities of these devices appear quite limited. Many years ago I worked on a project that involved installing accounting PC's in mom & pop stores. The tape drives they used to backup their data either did not have a verify feature, or it took too long to use. People would meticulously do their daily and weekly backups to a drive or tape that had ceased working a year ago.

Tags
towing