Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
I didn't see anyone mention the M&G system which is similar to the Air Force 1.
Absolutely simple hose hook up, permanent install and totally proportional. If you have air brakes it is one of the best. Does Not use the the toad brakes down a mountain when using either exhaust or Jake brake system or moderate slowing with compression. Only when you use the brake on the Motor Home.
X2
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
I use the SMI Stay in Play Duo with a diesel pusher. Simple as can be,
make your usual connections, flip the switch to on, and you are done.
Has worked flawlessly for 4 years and 56k.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
X3 on the RVi2 system. This is my first toad and brake system so have nothing to compare it to but the RVi2 is simple, compact and does the job.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the AF One. Really works good and is movable to another MH when you trade. From what I have read, many others happy and they appear to have long lives and are trouble free.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Tons of excellent systems available out there. I've been using the M&G air brake system for a number of years on two separate vehicles and I love the system. The only time the toad brakes activate is when I apply the coach brakes which I like when on long down grades using the Pacbrake. Rain or shine I can hook up the M&G system in 5 seconds and be on my way. No electrical components to go south, no cables to deal with and nothing to set on the toad floorboards.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #20

The need for supplemental braking

I'm extremely new to the rv'ing world so please bear with me! We recently purchased a 38' Monaco Dynasty and we want to tow our 2013 F150 4x4 supercab short box. We purchased the Demco tow bar, now knowing we also have to buy the baseplate but do we need a supplemental braking system too? Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Skyy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Skyy534--quick answer is YES. But if you do a search you will find tons of people recommending that, and a few who don't bother. Laws vary from state to state but safety concerns don't. You will be towing something that weighs over 4000 lbs... Braking systems do two things--they slow it down using it's own brakes so that your RV brakes and transmission don't have that additional burden, AND braking systems can stop your toad if it breaks free from your RV. That obviously is an emergency situation that you never want to see happen, but if it does... you'll sleep better knowing that you aren't putting others in a dangerous situation. Remember--it's not only property that we are protecting, it's also people. Enjoy your research!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #22

Braking system for towing 4 down

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
X2

x3 M & G is the best system on the market for my money!
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #23

Ready brake!
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #24

What is the opinion regarding the SMI stay in play duo? We have a Diesel so I wasn't certain if we could use this one or had to use the Air Force?
Skyy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #25

I am following this as I found a used Roadmaster Brake Pro (box system like the Blue Ox). Price is right at $325, it was used once. But, I wory about having to set it up each time I tow vs the AF! or IVi system that is a permanent install. Anyone feel the permanent install is worth the extra $500, I have yet to get the Brake Pro. Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Happily using the BlueOx Patriot on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4dr). Lotta smack talk on this forum about them but I don't understand why. I suspect folks that haven't actually used them think they aren't as good as what they own? Mine works great, is simple to set up, and does what it's supposed to do.
windsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #26

I like the permanent install and think it's worth the extra cash.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
BEFORE you decide, take a look at the RVIBrake 2 package! Best braking system I've ever used... RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System
I have 2 different vehicles set up to tow depending on where we are going and what we plan to do. That eliminated the idea of a permanent installation system for me. We went with the RVIBrake system, and I'm in with Stealth01, love this system. It is compact, simple to setup / remove, has proven for me to have negligible battery drain while doing all day driving segments and works as advertised. I've been to their place in Castle Rock, CO and they are great people to work with as well.

If you don't have a tire pressure monitor system you can add that in and the monitor is in the same control head. I use the TST tire pressure system so I can't comment on the function of their TPMS.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #28

A toad brake system does not have to be expensive or clumsy to be good. Any system that has to be placed on the floor to use as a toad brake then removed to drive the toad should be discarded as a choice as they become a PITA to deal with.

There are a lot of choices out there and most are expensive. Except one and that one works better than the others and is the least expensive. That is Ready Brake. It is available as a stand alone unit or integrated into a very good tow bar. Mine has served us well through three motorhomes and it took 5 minutes to transfer it from one to the other. Same toad-three RV's.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing