Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Braking system for towing 4 down

I need feed back on braking systems for towing my GMC Acadia 4 down. I have talked to people about the BrakeBuddy and I read a little on the Patriot from BlueOx, but I would like first hand info on your idea of a good system.

Thanks
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #2

Ready Brake !

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unified Tow Brake

I use U.S. Gear. It is always connected, you just plug in the 7 pin connector from the coach to the front of your toad and off you go.

I don't recommend the BrakeBuddy, nor any brake system that you have to clip to the brake pedal every time you move. Those are a bit of a pain and you will tend to not hook it up sometimes because of the hassle.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
ReadyBrake is the way to go! It is simple to install, effective, & low-cost. What more could you want!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve,

I tow a Chevy Traverse and use the U.S. Gear, Unified Tow Brake. Easy to hook up and works well, I give it a thumbs up.
SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure if you have a DP, but with our GMC Acadia and a Fleetwood Discovery diesel pusher, the Air Force One by SMI is absolutely great! Highly recommended! It's a permanent installation. All you do is plug in the electrical, safety cables, and air line from the back of the coach to the Acadia, and off you go.

By the way, welcome to iRV2!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Not sure if you have a DP, but with our GMC Acadia and a Fleetwood Discovery diesel pusher, the Air Force One by SMI is absolutely great! Highly recommended! It's a permanent installation. All you do is plug in the electrical, safety cables, and air line from the back of the coach to the Acadia, and off you go.

By the way, welcome to iRV2!

We looked into the AF1 when we were researching. This system requires modifying the coach's air system and I just didn't have a good warm fuzzy feeling about doing this. So, we went with the US Gear Unified system which is initially a little involved in the installation, but once there, it is totally forgotten about and no further attention by you is required. No air lines, no extra cables, no unit to put in floorboard of the toad...nothing! It also can be used with either a gas mh or a diesel.

I have used my Unified system on three totally different type of toads and the unit has worked perfectly every time. The main things I like about it is that it utilizes the power vacuum brakes of the toad so no extreme pressure on the brake peddle is required; a monitor that is located on the mh's dashboard, and has a variable lever that allows you to activate the toad's brakes separately from the mh. The system is fully proportional and the level of braking can be adjusted to your personal requirements.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

I Have the BlueOx Patriot. Easy to install and set up. Only requirement is a charge line off the MH to the toad battery to eliminate the need to pull fuses.
Have had some issues with the set up procedure but a call to BlueOx, they are very good at walking you through.
Comes with a breakaway switch, dash remote and everything required. A true Porportional system.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow a Chevy Traverse and use Brake Master with Break Away works well easy to hook up.

Jim
KP2X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I didn't see anyone mention the M&G system which is similar to the Air Force 1.
Absolutely simple hose hook up, permanent install and totally proportional. If you have air brakes it is one of the best. Does Not use the the toad brakes down a mountain when using either exhaust or Jake brake system or moderate slowing with compression. Only when you use the brake on the Motor Home.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #11

After trying in vain to get the Blue Ox AutoStop to work, I am now well pleased with the Blue Ox Patriot.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happily using the BlueOx Patriot on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4dr). Lotta smack talk on this forum about them but I don't understand why. I suspect folks that haven't actually used them think they aren't as good as what they own? Mine works great, is simple to set up, and does what it's supposed to do.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
BEFORE you decide, take a look at the RVIBrake 2 package! Best braking system I've ever used... RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the RVi2 system. Easy to use, works great, and compact.

Dennis_K is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing