Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By all means, use aux braking. Legal or not, it doesn't make sense not to.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #16

I have a 4400 lb Tracker that I tow without brakes. We have been across the rockies at least 8 times and the Cascades so many times I cant count. The coach itself has 48000 miles on it, we bought new and the brakes on it are still in great shape.

I might add that I always keep the coach in control and gear down or use the Jake on down grades.

We have never had issues with the coach brakes overheating.

Most states have quasi laws that are open to interpretation about brake systems with weight restrictions.

By the way, I have NEVER heard of a motorhome running someone over, have you?
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There has many many previous posts on this subject.

You may feel there is no difference in braking, but as others have stated 3,000-5000 lbs behind you will increase your stopping distance.

The story that comes to mind was posted with pics on this forum. A large DP was pulling his toad with no aux brakes when a semi stopped short in front of him. He hit the brakes and almost was able to panic stop in time, but the last few feet he had to veer to the left to miss the semi's flatbed trailer. The right front corner of the MH clipped the flatbed trailer and killed his wife.

Sure you may say if his toad had brakes it would not have made any difference, but how do you think he feels about toad brakes now.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
While it may be true that "most" states don't have laws specific to a towed vehicle, most all will have something on the books relative to a trailer, and I suspect your toad would meet the definition of trailer in all states. Some will require auxiliary brakes for as little as 1,000 lbs, but I'm not aware of any that allow anything over 3,000 lbs. 3k is the max in Wisconsin.

That said, those that are relating their stories of many problem free miles or years towing without brakes are playing the lottery. The odds may even be in their favor, but the time they come around a blind hairpin turn on a 6% downgrade to be surprised by a traffic backup or prior accident will illustrate the value of an auxiliary brake system.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
I love all the endorsements to break the laws, of states and physics. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles wearing a seatbelt. --- Never needed it, YET, But I still buckle up every time I get in the vehicle. Seldom use ABS system either, but I'm glad my auto has it. Refusing to recognize the advantages of having a towed with brakes, for stopping faster and in case of a break-a-way is shortsighted. I guess you tow without safety chains too, since never needed them in 48,000 miles??

SeattlePirat

Oh, By the way..... Sacto 9-1-1: Name of pedestrian hit by RV in Highway 65 traffic lane released

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #20

We tow a Honda CRV and have Air Force One for our braking system. We felt like "better safe than sorry".
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a cr-v and have smi stay-n-play duo a piece of mind is well worth it and it makes a huge difference in a panic stop i know you sure can feel the difference when the brakes come on in the toad
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
isa

Triple E Owners Club
This for JMonroe et al, with particular emphasis placed on the quoted references:

Towing Regulations

The fact is that there are very few states and or provinces that require auxiliary brakes on a TOWED VEHICLE provided that the combination of vehicles can pass a stated perfomance test with respect to speed and braking distance and/or a given weight limit. The speed stated is usually 20mph. and the distance varies from 25 ft. to 50 ft. The weight limits stated run from 1500 lb.(NV) to 5000 lb. (AK). Only AK, FL, NC, NV & WI show a weight limit. HI, ND & DC statutes are not available on line.

Check the DMV statutes where you live. Do not get caught up with the argument that a TOWED VEHICLE is a TRAILER, it is not a TRAILER but you have to look at the wording used in the STATUTES with respect to what is being TOWED.

If your state does not specifically outline the rules for a TOWED VEHICLE then there is no applicable statute.

The best reference that I have found with respect to the 50 states is:

home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/toad-brakes-by-state.html

and for Canada http://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp

I live in the Province of British Columbia, Canada where the rules for auxiliary braking requirements when towing are quite simple and very easy to understand:

MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS Continued
B.C. Reg. 26/58
Division 5 Brakes

Section 5.02. (7) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a towed motor vehicle that has a laden gross vehicle weight less than 2000 kg and that is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of a motor home towing it via a tow bar.

[am. B.C. Regs. 69/59, s. (j); 46/67, s. 10; 226/67, s. 4; 205/72, s. 6; 343/77; 459/77, s. 2; 256/84, s. 6; 257/96, s. 1; 109/97,

FYI: 2000 kg. is 4409.2 lb.

The 40% rule will apply to vehicles that weigh less than 5000 kg. or 11023.1 lb.

P.S.1 As far as I know, none of the auxiliary braking systems available today meet any kind of FEDERAL / STATE or PROVINCIAL standard.

P.S.2 In British Columbia, the same people that make the DMV rules i.e. the Government of B.C., are also the same people who insure us - ICBC, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.

Additional information:
http://www.airsafehitches.com/Towing_Laws.pdf
http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Title 49--Transportation

CHAPTER III--FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PART 393--PARTS AND ACCESSORIES NECESSARY FOR SAFE OPERATION

§ 393.52 Brake performance.

(a) Upon application of its service brakes, a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles must under any condition of loading in which it is found on a public highway, be capable of

(1) Developing a braking force at least equal to the percentage of its gross weight specified in the table in paragraph (d) of this section;

(2) Decelerating to a stop from 20 miles per hour at not less than the rate specified in the table in paragraph (d) of this section; and

(3) Stopping from 20 miles per hour in a distance, measured from the point at which movement of the service brake pedal or control begins, that is not greater than the distance specified in the table in paragraph (d) of this section; or, for motor vehicles or motor vehicle combinations that have a GVWR or GVW greater than 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds),

(4) Developing only the braking force specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section and the stopping distance specified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, if braking force is measured by a performance- based brake tester which meets the requirements of functional specifications for performance-based brake testers for commercial motor vehicles, where braking force is the sum of the braking force at each wheel of the vehicle or vehicle combination as a percentage of gross vehicle or combination weight.

(b) Upon application of its emergency brake system and with no other brake system applied, a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles must, under any condition of loading in which it is found on a public highway, be capable of stopping from 20 miles per hour in a distance, measured from the point at which movement of the emergency brake control begins, that is not greater than the distance specified in the table in paragraph (d) of this section.

(c) Conformity to the stopping-distance requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section shall be determined under the following conditions:

(1) Any test must be made with the vehicle on a hard surface that is substantially level, dry, smooth, and free of loose material.

(2) The vehicle must be in the center of a 12-foot-wide lane when the test begins and must not deviate from that lane during the test.

(d) Vehicle brake performance table:

I have taken the following information from that tables Section A. (3) viz.:

For motorhomes over 10,000 lb or 4536 kg. the required stopping distances from 20 mph., are,

35 ft. when applying the vehicles normal braking system, and

85 ft. when applying the vehicles emergency braking system.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #23

Got the breaking system yesterday.
ncylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncylee View Post

good choice, a little extra insurance, needed or not, within the law or not.
Safety is a personal choice, always has been always will be, someone can state all the facts in the world of why you do or don't need something, I can state I feel better knowing I did whats best for me...........Period
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #25

Exactly
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way, I have NEVER heard of a motorhome running someone over, have you?[/QUOTE]

Yes! Just ask the body repair shops if they ever get motorhomes with front end collision damage. It does happen.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncylee View Post

Good to hear. What braking system did you choose?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #28

Patriot by Blue Ox