Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I love all the endorsements to break the laws, of states and physics. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles wearing a seatbelt. --- Never needed it, YET, But I still buckle up every time I get in the vehicle. Seldom use ABS system either, but I'm glad my auto has it. Refusing to recognize the advantages of having a towed with brakes, for stopping faster and in case of a break-a-way is shortsighted. I guess you tow without safety chains too, since never needed them in 48,000 miles??

SeattlePirat

Oh, By the way..... Sacto 9-1-1: Name of pedestrian hit by RV in Highway 65 traffic lane released

The pedestrian wasnt a child and it doesnt say if brakes or stopping distance was an issue. Nice straw man though.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #30

I wouldn't recommend the Patriot as it cost me a set of four tires after locking up the brakes on my CRV.
Ranmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
The pedestrian wasnt a child and it doesnt say if brakes or stopping distance was an issue. Nice straw man though.
The pedestrian was SOMEBODIES child. You had said you NEVER heard of a case of an MH hitting a child. I googled news and found one in a few seconds. I made the worst case description to emphasize the importance of auxiliary brakes. Tractor Trailers didn't used to require brakes on the steer axles, but you don't see too many today. I want brakes on any rubber on the road. The money you save today in NOT having brakes will be lost in an accident. Why take the chance?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #32

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
I think when braking system applies to laws of most states, it seem to me that the issue of "breakaway" has been overlooked. Almost all states have breakaway of towed trailers/vehicles...not to mention federal hiways...can you spell DOT???
It may not be the issue of stopping distance, but if the toad ain't back there and the wife isn't in it, then who is stopping it in the event of breakaway, should the tow bar/baseplate fail. Just some thoughts for the experts.
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #33

Howdy,

I agree a braking systen is needed regardless if size and weight of toad for many reason...Even tho the coach or rig may be big enough and more weight too stop the toad if the toad brakes free it could cause a real hassle and mess...
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote