Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Smile Braking systems

We currently have a Roadmaster brake pro braking system that is dying a rapid death.

Roadmaster will sell me a new one for $850. if I ship the old one back to them and buy the new one. They say the air compressor is shot. it is a2004 model bought in 2006 from Camping World. Not to sure if this product is reliable

Before I do anything I went shopping on the Internet and found a Blue OX system that is new and has an electric actuator rather than an air compressor. Price is $1000 and shipping is free.

Before I spend that kind of money I need imput from my RV family

guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #2

Well Sir,
Since you've already found out the short comings of those types of braking systems. Now, before anyone gets there pants in a tight spot, yes, some of them have longer lives. But, if I may, I'll suggest the Ready Brake. Many set it up with the Ready Brute tow bar 'cause they don't have a tow bar and purchasing the combo system is a way to go. But, if you've already got a well working, dependable tow bar, then the addition of the Ready Brake system is still a viable, way cheaper, dependable solution.

It does not depend on any circuitry or electronics for it's operation. It's a surge brake system that is full proof. I've set it up on multiple vehicles and it always works flawlessly. And, one of the major benefits is, there's no STORAGE of a ROBOT when the toad is being driven. It's worth a look at if you've not considered it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I love my Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional braking system. The price was $859 (including the seat adapter) plus installation. This system does have a brake away feature as well.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Medico: Where did you buy the Roadmaster 9060 for that price?
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I love my Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional braking system. The price was $859 (including the seat adapter) plus installation. This system does have a breakaway feature as well.
That's what we use. Works very well too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I got mine here. I met and talked to the owner (Todd) at the Syracuse GS Rally in June and was very impressed with him. He met the price I found online and shipped for free. Not sure if the deal is still available. Do a Google search for this brake system then call Tiffany at Towbars and Brackets (phone number under Contact Us link).
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for the Brakemaster. Reliable system that is easy to use. I installed my own and think any handyman could do so. Best for rigs with air brakes, though. It still needs a compressor (coach mounted) if the coach has hydraulic brakes.

Some folks hate to have to put anything on/off the brake pedal for use, so they go for SMI's Air Force One or the US Gear Unified Tow Brake or the M&G system.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

We also use the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 in our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer. We had the same system in our 2001 Adventurer. We used it over 80,000 miles without any problems. We left that one in the old motorhome when we prchased the new one. I bought the "second motorhome kit" at e-trailer for the new motorhome.

At the time the complete system was on sale for about $850.00. Once the the camping season was in full swing the price went up a bit. I
ll bet in a couple months it will be on sale again.

It's perfect for out Jeep Wrangler. Since there's limited storage space in the Jeep only having an air cylinder to store makes life easy
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #9

I am about to buy myself, TOAD will be a ford Excursion. For about the same money, why not choose the Air Force One? Nothing to do in the vehicle as all hardware is permanently mounted and hidden? That is the conclusion I have come to, but welcome opinions. For me it seems the best set up for air brake equipped coaches.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My question is that many of these systems work off of the brake light signal. I believe on my coach, same as the coach I had before, when using compression brake and coasting, the brake lights come on so the braking system on the toad would be activated causing a drag when not needed and prematurely wearing out the brakes. Am I on the right track with this logic??
denyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I also gave up A Blue Ox electric brake system as it also failed. I switched to the Ready Brake. Best move and $400. I ever spent. Problem free, easy to install and works with no pumps, battery drain or any of the other auxiliary brake problems. Nothing simpler than a cable on the brake peddle.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Chris,
AirForceOne or M&G which I've had for over 6 years. You do not want a surge type which will be braking everythime your Jake or Exhaust Brake comes on.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #13

The Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 (model for gas engine motorhomes) does not use the brake light signal to activate the toad brakes. It has a proportioning valve in the brake line that senses when and how much pressure is applied to the brake pedal. It then allows a proportional amount of air to flow from the onboard tank to the cylinder activating the brake pedal in the towed vehicle.

The 9100 and 9160 systems for diesel powered motorhomes are similar in that the air line powering the air cylinder in the towed vehicle is connected to the air brake system in the motorhome. The brakes on the towed vehicle are only activated when the brake pedal in the motorhome is depressed

Both systems also have a monitor LED on the motorhome dash hooked to the cold side of the brake light circuit in the towed vehicle. When the brake pedal in the towed vehicle is depressed by the air cylinder the brake light switch (in the towed vehicle) is closed illuminating the brake lights on the towed vehicle and the monitor on the dash of the motorhome.

To better understand how this system works and and the similar system used on diesel powered motorhomes you can download the operator and installation manuals from the Roadmaster site.

Installation instructions for Roadmaster 9100 & 9160 brking systems (air & air over hydraulic brakes).
http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1809-13.pdf

Operators manual for Roadmaster 9060 (hydraulic brakes), 9100 & 9160 braking systems (air & air over hydraulic brakes).
http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1991-10.pdf
Old 10-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I am about to buy myself, TOAD will be a ford Excursion. For about the same money, why not choose the Air Force One? Nothing to do in the vehicle as all hardware is permanently mounted and hidden? That is the conclusion I have come to, but welcome opinions. For me it seems the best set up for air brake equipped coaches.

Chris

Check the M&G system.

John