Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Braking systems

I have a 37 foot Diesel pusher and it flat tows a lifted 2016 JKU. I am looking to purchase a braking system and im still undecided on what to get. I’m hoping to get anyone’s thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you
Gary
abrogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 10:25 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have used a RVibrake2 for a few years. The latest model is RVibrake3 I think. Never had a problem, small, fast to install. Gotta say it does the job for us.
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just got a '14 JKU two weeks ago and installed Roadmaster brackets and their Brakemaster 9160 unit. That model includes a brakeaway as requred by law here. Been using that brake unit on two motorhomes and four toweds so far.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 AM   #4

Everyone will tell you the system they are using is the best. However, you should do your own research into the different systems and how they operate, then make your decision and follow through with it.

For us, we chose the M&G system, as it makes sense to us as to how the braking system is connected to the RV. Our friends all have different systems.

Good luck on your quest.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:38 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Everyone will tell you the system they are using is the best. However, you should do your own research into the different systems and how they operate, then make your decision and follow through with it.

For us, we chose the M&G system, as it makes sense to us as to how the braking system is connected to the RV. Our friends all have different systems.

Good luck on your quest.
That was my thought exactly! However, I have owned two different braking systems, one that had to be installed and removed between the driver's seat the the brake pedal and the other that is permanently installed. Installing and removing doesn't seem like a big deal but to me it is. Highly recommend one of the permanently installed systems. Some will say that the removable units let you switch TOADS easily but that ignores the wiring and tow plate requirements anyway and isn't of much value in my opinion.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #6

I had M&G on a pickup and a Rubicon. It worked flawlessly. The install on the Jeep is a little bit of a hassle but to me was worth it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
After a ton of research and talking to friends with other systems, my new F-150 will have an Air Force 1 installed next week. My Brake Buddy Vantage Select was great, but setup is a bit of a pain, so it’s now for sale. - Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Brake systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogo View Post
I have a 37 foot Diesel pusher and it flat tows a lifted 2016 JKU. I am looking to purchase a braking system and im still undecided on what to get. I’m hoping to get anyone’s thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you
Gary
Thanks everyone. I am doing my own research but it helps hearing what others are using and how they like it. ‘Appreciate the feedback !
abrogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I had M&G on a pickup and a Rubicon. It worked flawlessly. The install on the Jeep is a little bit of a hassle but to me was worth it.

+1 on the M&G
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I use the M&G system and it has worked perfectly, very happy with it.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #11

I've been using the M&G System for over 15 years now on various vehicles. So easy to hook up and go. I've installed them myself.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
M&G system, clean installation looks like it belongs there.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I have M&G (original, not 2.0) on my '18 Wrangler JKU and really like it. It's hook up air hose and you're done when ready to tow, and disconnect air and you're done when ready to disconnect.

For those not familiar. M&G makes two types. The original version, which mounts under the hood, inline with the booster near your brake master cylinder. It includes a small air tank under the hood to activate the brakes n case of break away.

The 2.0 system is more universal (the original was vehicle specific), and it works probably like air force one and maybe invisibrake, where it physically mounts to the brake pedal via a cable through the firewall. It still doesn't require anything to be installed removed in the floorboard every time you connect/disconnect.

Personally, I think the original M&G is unique and you should check it out if you have a car that it supports. However, there are several other brands that do something similar to M&G 2.0, so I would compare features of the other brands (invisibrake, air force one, etc.) before going with M&G 2.0 and figure out what's the best option.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I have M&G (original, not 2.0) on my '18 Wrangler JKU and really like it. It's hook up air hose and you're done when ready to tow, and disconnect air and you're done when ready to disconnect.

For those not familiar. M&G makes two types. The original version, which mounts under the hood, inline with the booster near your brake master cylinder. It includes a small air tank under the hood to activate the brakes n case of break away.

The 2.0 system is more universal (the original was vehicle specific), and it works probably like air force one and maybe invisibrake, where it physically mounts to the brake pedal via a cable through the firewall. It still doesn't require anything to be installed removed in the floorboard every time you connect/disconnect.

Personally, I think the original M&G is unique and you should check it out if you have a car that it supports. However, there are several other brands that do something similar to M&G 2.0, so I would compare features of the other brands (invisibrake, air force one, etc.) before going with M&G 2.0 and figure out what's the best option.
Just to be clear, the Air Force One system doesn’t require anything to be installed or removed each time the tow is connected or disconnected; never has.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems