Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #1

Here I am again looking for wisdom from this forum. We are finally going 4 down with our PT Cruiser. Have selected Blue Ox for my tow bar, now I am looking for opinions on braking systems and lights.

I am leaning toward the US Gear braking system. I know people that have it, and no one has anything bad to say about it. As for lights, I am up in the air. Which is better, a diode system or a seperate light.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #2

Here I am again looking for wisdom from this forum. We are finally going 4 down with our PT Cruiser. Have selected Blue Ox for my tow bar, now I am looking for opinions on braking systems and lights.

I am leaning toward the US Gear braking system. I know people that have it, and no one has anything bad to say about it. As for lights, I am up in the air. Which is better, a diode system or a seperate light.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We Have the US Brake system and love it. A job to install but when done it works great. Your 2006 coach should be pre wired for US Brake. The PT I would use a light bar on.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #4

I have used a Brake Buddy now for almost eight years and no problems, and outstanding support from the manufacturer. They are by far the leading toad brake system in use today. As to a light system for the toad, have you considered installing an extra light socket into each of your tail light housings and thus keeping the two systems seperate? There are kits to do that that are readily available.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The PT has small lights and no room to add lights. A bar or diodes will be needed. The brake buddy is good. We had one but storeing it and hooking it up was a problem. Now all I do is plug in and go.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outbumn:

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ron & Family: For your info we have a 35' Georgie Boy w/ a 2001 Jeep Cherokee we tow 4 wheel down. Re: the Brakes we too have a Brake Buddy which we have been very happy with. Once you get use to the hook up its a no brainer, also you can switch it from one vehicle to another, like we just did from a Wrangler to Cherokee. Re: lights I have chosen to put the diode in the Jeep, while it is a little expensive up front there is absolutely no hassel afterward. No playing w/ light that could move/fall off etc. Just plug in a your on the way. Best wishes and safe traveling bill
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #7

We have used the Brake Buddy in two toads and are very happy with it.

When we had a Jeep Cherokee we used additional light sockets and bulbs as the car had rather large tail light housings and the install was easy. In the VUE we opted for diodes and they have worked well too.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use diodes on both toads. The only problem with diodes is that when the toad brakes get applied, the toad does not have turn signals unless it has amber turn signals. One toad has amber, the other does not. The one without amber has a disconnect relay added to the brake light switch of the toad. When it "sees" power to my braking system, it shuts off the toad brake lights, and the coach brake lights/turn signals power the toad lights.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the input....
Old 10-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Ron,

I would check wiith US Gear and ask if there is room for the vacuum pump in the engine compartment. We have a PT GT Convt. and there definately was no room for the pump. We went with SMI....very similar in design except the pump is in the interior of the car, under a seat.

We used diodes and no problems yet. If we were to do it again, I would use a reciever hitch light bar.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
PDB

I've used the M&G Engineering brake system on my last three toads. My opinionis that it's the best out there. YMMV.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #12

We use the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9000 on our 04 wrangler. It a proportional system that uses an air cylinder in the Jeep to actuate the brake pedal. The compressor and all the controlling mechanism is in the coach. Like the US Gear system it takes a little to install, but it works great. There's no box to take out and store when you want to drive the toad.

We installed diodes in the Jeep since there was little room to add bulbs. They were relatively simple to install, but once again took some time because of the limited space.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #13

Hello again,

Right or Wrong, I went with the US Gear braking system. Not for an installation question.

Have the toad system in and it op tested good. Now I am onto the motorhome side. My coach is not prewired so I am to the point of connecting the ignition and brake wire from the motorhome control box to the motorhome wiring. Can anyone tell me what wires you connetected to?

I have found the switch on the brake pedal, but it is so tight in there I don't want to start cutting wires like the installation instruction say to do.

Also, any suggestions on what and where to connect the red ignition wire.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ron, for the brake activation circuit, use a scotch lock type crimp on connector; no wire cutting needed. Make sure it is on the cold side of the brake switch. No 12 volt + when brake pedal is up and 12 volt + when brake pedal is depressed. The ignition wire will need to be connected to a fused 12 volt + circuit when the key is turned on. Look in the instruction manual for the size fuse needed. GOod luck and if you have further questions just ask.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote