Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

BraunAbility MXV (Ford Explorer)

We recently Purchased a 2014 Newmar Canyon Star - this is a handicapped accessible RV with a wheelchair lift. We initially thought we would try without a towed vehicle. We now think we would like to tow.

We need a wheelchair conversion van. Our current van is a Toyota Sienna conversion and it looks like it is only towable on a dolly. I think I would like to tow 4 down. I know some of the other Braun conversions are towable 4down with a transmission pump.

Researching I found Braun is now converting the Ford Explorer for wheelchairs. The manual states that the FWD 3.5L is towable 4down. Anyone have any experience towing the the Explorer conversion or just the Explorer.

Peter and Jan
'14 Canyon Star 3911

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just posted this info on another thread:

What Cars Can Be Flat-Towed Behind an RV? on Edmunds.com

Maybe this will give you some insight. There is a link to a guide in the text of the article that gives a lot of information about which can and cannot be towed.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #3

We've been flat towing our Explorer for 2 1/2 years with no problems.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

That's what I wanted to hear. Could I ask what tow/break systems you are using?

Wife and I visited a Braun dealer to see the conversion of the explorer and see if she could get in/out easily. The conversion is surprisingly roomy. I asked the salesman to contact Braun to see what they had to say about flat towing. The Ford manual says ok and Braun confirmed that their conversion did not change that fact. I believe this is the only wheelchair conversion van that can be flat towed.

Peter and Jan
"14 CS 3911
Old 09-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

We installed a Blue Ox base plate and used the Air Force One brake system but it's for diesel coaches with air brakes. They also make a brake system for gas coaches. The base plate install is somewhat involved requiring removal of the front facia, cutting off the front bumper (base plate replaces it), drilling mounting holes in the chassis cross members and it's a little aggravating to fit the base plate. Unless you're a somewhat decent mechanic, I would recommend paying someone to install it. The easiest way to wire the rear lights is to run the harness underneath the car to the rear, bring the wiring up under the rear bumper cover, up to the taillights, hiding the wiring under the weatherstripping for the rear hatch. Remove the taillights and wire into the various lights using diodes. I can't remember how many, I think 6 or 8.

Tags
ford