Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

break away system

Does everyone use a breakaway system for their tow car or do some people just use safety chains, I have a brakemaster 9000 but it doesn't have the break away should I get it installed?
codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Mine has both safety cables and a breakaway for the Patriot Brake which is attached to the brake pedal.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #3

Check your states' towing laws. Many areas mandate breakaway systems on tows.

In general, I think its a good idea.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

As mentioned in the prior post, a breakaway is required by law in most US states, and several Canadian provinces.

Do you need it? Only when you did need it. Improbably, one end of the tow bar would have to fail (hitch receiver/bracket on motorhome, or tow plate on towed, or any piece the tow bar itself). AND the safety chains would have to fail. AND you would have had to install all the components correctly. AND all the components would have to have no defects. These are unlikely conditions to happen alone, and even less likely to happen in combination, although one may lead to another (bar breaks, over-stresses the safety cables, etc.). However, there is always a possibility even if it's not a probability.

It's always better to be over cautious a day too early than a day too late. If there were to ever be a situation where you were in an accident, and the towed did become unattached to the motorhome without a breakaway, and caused damage/injury, you'd be in a difficult situation. Even if the accident itself may not have been your fault, subsequent damage/injury caused by an unhooked towed could be determined to be your fault if a breakaway could have prevented it. Plus you'd probably feel very bad or very stupid, or more likely feel both.

To me this is something that we owe to other drivers as much as it is obeying the law...reducing risk by having safety devices (like chains/cables and breakaways).

Nice table of towing laws in the link below. You will have to scroll (there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the list) to the right to see if a breakaway is required.

Towing Laws
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would not tow without a breakaway system! We use the NSA system. Of course, we also have the safety cables.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post

And the site shown above is ONLY for towing trailers, not motorized vehicles towing other motorized vehicles and is not accurate for lots of states like WA, OR and CA.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
We use the Air Force 1 with break away.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

In my opinion, the most important function of the braking system is to protect the tow bar from collapsing in an emergency stop. My coach has ample braking capability to handle the toad so routine braking is a lesser concern.
Second, should there be a failure of the tow system, I depend on the breakaway device to control the toad to a stop.
I cannot say if it's law or not but it certainly is common sense to have safety cables And, a breakaway system and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
WDW

break away system

I like what the other writer wrote, that WE / you have an obligation to others on the road to be safe and to protect them from your equipments failure. And I would add -- think how you would feel if it was your family who might be injured. That should be enough motivation for everyone.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And the site shown above is ONLY for towing trailers, not motorized vehicles towing other motorized vehicles and is not accurate for lots of states like WA, OR and CA.
To be clear, I don't claim that (or any) site to be accurate, just a reference, but I should have stated that in my post. In this case the reference is to show that there are enough states with breakaway requirements that from the perspective of towing legally it makes little sense to not have a breakaway system.

I'd wonder if for our purposes it matters if the towed vehicle is motorized or not, as when it is being towed it is no different than a unpowered trailer (it would not be providing it's own motive force). In a situation where damage or injury occurred as a result of no breakaway system I'm sure lawyers would argue (twist wording) that there is no practical difference.

Regardless, having a breakaway system is just the right thing to do, in addition to being the law in many states/provinces.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote