Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #1

Have been trying to set up a break buddy on a ford focus 2006. Break applies ok with test button but everytime it releases the whole break buddy moves and rotates away from seat. I've made sure it is straight and tried a flat board between seat and buddy. Settings are 25-30 psi and 3 sensitivity. Seems like it releases to fast and jars the unit. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #2

Have been trying to set up a break buddy on a ford focus 2006. Break applies ok with test button but everytime it releases the whole break buddy moves and rotates away from seat. I've made sure it is straight and tried a flat board between seat and buddy. Settings are 25-30 psi and 3 sensitivity. Seems like it releases to fast and jars the unit. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Make sure the seat in forward as far as possible.
This will keep the foot and unit from
moving forward or sideways. I had problems
with it moving and worked on it for a few hours before I had it working right. I had to stop a few time because the light came on and It had moved. I have moved mine sideways toward the door and that helped. Good luck.
hwrsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

On some vehicles the seat/floor does not provide an ideal envronment for the Buddy. Sometimes a particualr wedge or shim is needed. I suggest you contact Brake Buddy and ask about your vehicle and this problem - chances are they know about it and have a solution. Sometimes its just a piece of styrofoam or something like that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #5

If you have floor mats, try removing them as well--especially if they are rubber.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 AM   #6

We also have a 2006 Focus. I put the Brake Buddy in position and activate it a couple times, I then pull the seat forward so it just touches the Brake Buddy. I also lower the seat to it's lowest position. We towed a 2000 Focus before this one and no problems.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Adjust the back handle on the BB to a position where it is positioned as low on the seat as possible and still able to make a good contact right at or slighly above the seat pan. The lower the better. All the suggestions you received are good ones.

When you're tired of doing all of that after some 3 and a half years there are other options.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #8

When I was having trouble with the Brake Buddy in our Explorer not having enough support on the seat and kicking sideways causing it to apply the brakes when it shouldn't, I called BB and they knew exactly what was needed.

They told me to cut two pieces of plywood, one for the BB to sit on and one to go against the seat then attach cabinet hinges so the the plywood would open/close like a book and when opened would form a 90 degree support for the base and against the seat.

This worked, gave the BB a good place to sit and gave plenty of support against the seat.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron:

I also tow an Explorer and use a Blue Ox Apollo. It also moves some and I will try the plywood idea...see no reason why it wouldn't work as well with the Apollo system.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #10

Thanks for all your suggestions. I put the seat in the lowest position and also removed the floor mats. This helped quite a bit. I also called break buddy customer support and they sent out what they call a seat stiffener at no charge. It's a peace of sheet metal covered with felt and curved at one end ( J shaped ). Sits on seat and curves over front of seat.

Tony
Old 08-28-2006, 12:28 AM   #11

My Malibu Maxx has a similar problem. When properly adjusted for the BB the seat slider bar gets pushed when the BB is activated and the seat slides backward.

The 90 deg plywood idea may work as long as a large slot is cut to stradle the seat release bar.

The adjustable bar on the BB needs to be wider or taller to push against more of the seat front edge. I have a skinny seat, height wise.