Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Breakaway cable

I purchased a ready brute tow bar with the intergrated brake system. Do I need to install a breakaway in addition to the ready brute system. thank you for your advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I certainly would. It's an inexpensive safety addition, and it keeps the toad under control should the tow bar separate from the coach. Sure beats thinking about having to face the liability of the toad hitting someone and causing serious injuries/fatalities.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #3

Think in most states one if not two break away cables are required reguardless if you have a brake system or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2. I did the install myself. Easy.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

I to have the Ready Brake braking system. I did not install the brake away cable, I did install two safety chains. I looked at the brake away cable but chose not to install. My reasoning is that I have a good toe bar, a back up system (safety chains). I may install the brake away cable later.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

I don't understand the reasoning behind why you wouldn't want a break away? An additional advantage is, even if you have safety chains and you experience a breakaway, what stops the TOAD? My guess would be the rear of the motorhome. Could do a lot of damage. Just Sayin'!!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #7

when you install the breakaway cable, make sure you make it longer than the emergency cable and mount it on the frame of the MH and not the frame of the hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I to have the Ready Brake braking system. I did not install the brake away cable, I did install two safety chains. I looked at the brake away cable but chose not to install. My reasoning is that I have a good toe bar, a back up system (safety chains). I may install the brake away cable later.
what if the failure is the baseplate or hitch frame that has completely ripped off... your emergency cable will be useless. Thats what the breakaway cable is for... it mounts to the MH/toad vehicle frame and a redundancy to the emergency cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I don't understand the reasoning behind why you wouldn't want a break away? An additional advantage is, even if you have safety chains and you experience a breakaway, what stops the TOAD? My guess would be the rear of the motorhome. Could do a lot of damage. Just Sayin'!!
you can slow down the MH to a point where the toad vehicle will gently bump the MH... I would not activate the breakaway system while the emergency cable is active (the emergency cable and the hitch setup will be compromised if the breakaway system is active). The purpose of the breakaway system is to stop a runaway vehicle... not drag it while the emergency cable is pulling it.

Read this....
Break Away cable advice...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #8

I tow a Smart Car and it weighs less than 2000lbs. Brakes not required by law in most jurisdictions. I can stop within the most stringent stopping distance requirements of any regulation without toad brakes,

Nonetheless, I have a ReadyBrake and I connect the brake away cables and I have two 7000lb rated safety cables.

I can stop in less distance with the ReadyBrake engaged. 1ft less might mean the difference between life and death. The chance of this light toad, that is monitored by two rear view cameras, of ever coming loose from both tow bar connections and then breaking the two 7000lb rated safety cables without me seeing something is amiss back there is extremely remote; however since the BreakAway cable is so simple to install and connect, I could not think of a logical reason not to install and use it.

I have had M&G and BrakeMaster systems on my toads and I used a Brake Buddy once while towing a friends toad, (Not a fan of Brake Buddy or any Brake In a box, they work but are a PITA IMHO)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I fully understand the argument some have against having a separate brake system on their toad, but I will never understand the arguments offered up for not having a break away system of some kind on their toad. There simply is no excuse to not buy and install a break away system.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
I fully understand the argument some have against having a separate brake system on their toad, but I will never understand the arguments offered up for not having a break away system of some kind on their toad. There simply is no excuse to not buy and install a break away system.
x2. I did not have to install it, could have skimped and said I have safety cables just in case. At the end of the day I should not need the cables either, but I hook them up. I also rarely hear about a towed becoming disconnected, but it does happen. I would not want someone to loose a loved because I didn't install something so simple.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely! They are two different animals with to totally different purposes. The Ready-Brake system will be no use whatsoever if your toad breaks loose!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have read, but haven't verified, that some Canadian provinces require a towed vehicle to have a breakaway device installed. For that reason I bought the ReadyStop breakaway system and installed it when I setup my CR-V for towing. It cost a few dollars extra, and required an extra hole through the firewall. Now I have all the right equipment anywhere I tow.

Don't skimp on your equipment. It's a one-time cost that potentially protects you and everyone else on the road.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Think in most states one if not two break away cables are required reguardless if you have a brake system or not.
You are confused.. A breakaway cable is a light weight cable compred to safety cables or chains. TWO safety cables or chains are required for all trailers far as I knwo

But the breakaway is much lighter. it connects not to a strong metal point but to a fairly easy to pull plastic plug

you pull the plug, a cloths pin switch closes and SNAP on go the brakes

on the Surge Brake systems it might flip a lever I don't know, but the idea is that it is a much ligher cable designed to pull away from the towed

it should also not be connected to the hitch itself or to the receiver but rather to a frame member elsewhere on the tow vehicle.. but that's one I did not know till it faile me.

Got lucky though. Other safety hardware worked that day and thus no damage save to the rear wheel of my bicycle (Which hitches a ride on the hitch that fell apart, but was otherwise undamaged) some welding, a bit of new steel and bending the bicycle mount just a bit using my towed and a strap, oh, and a new rear wheel for bicycle (80 bucks) and all was better than new.. Way better, Good weld shop Simpson & Sons Services in Harrison, Ohio.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #14

Most safety chains or cables connect to the tow bar and the base plate. If the tow bar separates from the mh or the base plate separates from the TOAD, the cables are meaningless. A separate break away system is all that protects the oncoming family in the other lane.

Dennis4809 is online now   Reply With Quote