Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
"Breakaway System"

If you have safety cables connecting toad to coach, is it also necessary to use a "breakaway system" with the aux. brakes? Does the law specifically require this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

The law probably varies from state to state, but it will save the back of your coach and front of your car if you do have a tow bar failure.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #3

Maybe not required, but should be, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
If you have safety cables connecting toad to coach, is it also necessary to use a "breakaway system" with the aux. brakes? Does the law specifically require this?
It really depends on the type of breakaway you have. If your tow bar breaks, the chances are that your breakaway switch will not be engaged. In my mind, the breakaway switch is used in the event of a catastrophic failure. Remember, the coach side of the breakaway cable is supposed to be attached to the coach directly, not to the hitch receiver. The breakaway switch is the last line of defense, should the car completely break away from the coach . You need to stop that 3,000 lbs missile before it kills somebody. I had thought of using a straight cable on mine, so that if the safety cables ever went to their full length, the breakaway switch would get pulled. Maybe then, the free wheeling car couldn't slam into the back of the coach when I stop. But then again, I always over think things.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think you're asking the wrong question. The question should be, "Do I need an aux braking system". To which the answer is "Yes". Once you have the aux brake, using the break-away cable is a no-brainer. It's there, so use it.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #5

When purchasing and installing my M&G Engineering toad braking system, the break away part was a extra cost option. I did install it making me feel better just incase the worse happens.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes you should. Call it low cost one time insurance. The safety cables will protect against a tow bar failure while the break away will protect against failure of the coach hitch or base plate failure. Failure of any of the three are pretty rare but a hitch or base plate failure will be catastrophic without a break away.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
It is one of those things you do not need until you do. A friend of mine had a tow failure and the car separated. The police were very interested in his braking system. Luckily he had one.