Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #1

Is it ok to install the breakway switch on the plastic of the vehicle or should it be installed on something stronger. I have no idea how much pressure it takes to release one of these things. It say in the instructions thin metal or plastic. Also it says to install on the drivers side, but I would think center would be better as the cable is a spring type cable and if you made a right hand turn, wouldn't it put more pressure on the cable.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #2

Is it ok to install the breakway switch on the plastic of the vehicle or should it be installed on something stronger. I have no idea how much pressure it takes to release one of these things. It say in the instructions thin metal or plastic. Also it says to install on the drivers side, but I would think center would be better as the cable is a spring type cable and if you made a right hand turn, wouldn't it put more pressure on the cable.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I mounted mine on metal rather than plastic. There are a number of things that could go wrong in an emergency. The switch is supposed to be mounted loose enough that it pivots so that it pulls straight but during an actual "event" who knows how twisted things could get so it may take excessive force to pull the pin on the switch. In that case I'd want it to be mounted to something pretty substantial. Now that's not to say that some plastic might not be substantial. It all depends upon how thick it is and where it's located. When in doubt, go for the steel. I also mounted mine close to the center because I didn't buy into the driver's side idea either. I understand the theory behind it, but I just don't agree with it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #4

I installed the BB and the breakaway switch (in the center) on my 2000 Jeep grand cherokee.
all was uneventfull until the day I was in a hurry hooking up and didnt notice that the breakaway cable was "wrapped" around part of the towing aparatus. I drove off and the cable was too short and pulled out of the safety switch. Naturally the brakes were applied, I did not feel a thing in the coach. Luckily I drove only three miles on the freeway to a truckstop for fuel. The burned brake smell that greeted me when I stepped out of the coach quickly woke me up to the problem. A $450.00 Brake job later and I was good to go.
I no longer use the break away switch. What for? I have a great tow bar and it has safety cables. No more suprises.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:43 AM   #5

I agree about the brakeaway switch. I have mine mounted to metal. I took a trip to have my cluster re-programed and took the new car with me. It was raining so I didn't hook up the switch in the car to the BB. It looks like it is hooked up if anyone ask but it won't work unless plugged into the BB. I'm not sure but wouldn't the sensors if they were hooked up tell you that the brakes were locked up?

Old 07-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #6

"The rest of the story"
Yes I failed to mention that when the brakes are applied because the safety cable has pulled out of its socket a red light does appear on the dash mounted BB radio receiver unit. It also lights every time the BB applys the brakes during normal operations. However the light is hard to see on a bright day, hence my brake burn out "event"
Old 07-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the light is hard to see on a bright day, hence my brake burn out "event" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I solved that problem by making a hood for mine of black material that is attached with double stick tape. The hood is closed at the windshiled side and extends about 1" past the light toward the driver's seat.

I keep mine set to only activate in a very hard stop, and when it does to apply the brake to the point of the ABS. When I did once hook up too short, I too pulled the pin on the brake-away but I knew right away by the indicator light and by the way it was pulling at low speed. I was in a turn when it pulled and I stopped in only a few feet and put the pin back, after disconnection the cable. Stopped just down the road to correct the cable. I would never tow without the brake-away as it is at least half of the reason to have the Brake Buddy. Hooked up properly there is no problem with it setting when it should not.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #8

Kirk, that scares the heck out of me. I just got a Brake Buddy, and will set up breakaway next week. Any suggestions for avoiding accidental pullout of the breakaway pin? Thanks, Phil.