Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #1

I brought a used tow dolly and have know idea who made it. It has steerable wheels/fenders with a steering stabilizaber, Has a pin so you can lock the wheels from steering. The ramps remove and slip from the front into the two channels between the wheel pads. 13 inch, 5 bolt rims which may not be the orginal. Looks in real good shape and well manintained. Has no manufacturers plate or sticker. Anyone know what or who made it? It is commercially built, not homebrew. The spindle/axle steering design is very similiar to the Roadmaster, But the removable ramps and steering stabilizer are different

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #2

I brought a used tow dolly and have know idea who made it. It has steerable wheels/fenders with a steering stabilizaber, Has a pin so you can lock the wheels from steering. The ramps remove and slip from the front into the two channels between the wheel pads. 13 inch, 5 bolt rims which may not be the orginal. Looks in real good shape and well manintained. Has no manufacturers plate or sticker. Anyone know what or who made it? It is commercially built, not homebrew. The spindle/axle steering design is very similiar to the Roadmaster, But the removable ramps and steering stabilizer are different

Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
jfb

Early on, we had a tow dolly because we had a front wheel drive that couldn't be flat towed. Combined weight was 3,750#. exceded my 3,500# hitch and Ford's 1,500# unassisted breaking warranty. A near disaster conviced my to put surge brakes on the dolly, worked great. Later, we got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, a SUV with manual transfer case that could be towed four down.

My advice is to check you weights to be sure you can stop the whole thing in an emergency....
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jfb:
Early on, we had a tow dolly because we had a front wheel drive that couldn't be flat towed. Combined weight was 3,750#. exceded my 3,500# hitch and Ford's 1,500# unassisted breaking warranty. A near disaster conviced my to put surge brakes on the dolly, worked great. Later, we got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, a SUV with manual transfer case that could be towed four down.

My advice is to check you weights to be sure you can stop the whole thing in an emergency.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm fine on the weights. Don't plan on towing anything big and heavy. Just would like to identify the manufacturer of the dolly and nothing else.

As to hauling heavy loads, I probably forgot more than most around here know. Was hauling double trailers out of Lackawanna, NY steel plants to Michigan auto plants and often exceeding gross weights of 130,000 pounds back in the '70s. I don't need any lectures on towing methods and safety. Oh, was also a hazardous material driver trainer for years.

But thank you for being concerned for my safety and my families safety and the safety of those around me.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If could post a picture of your tow dolly someone might recognize it and be able to furnish the info. At one time there were a lot of manufactures of tow dollies, not to many left. Any idea how old it is?

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
If could post a picture of your tow dolly someone might recognize it and be able to furnish the info. At one time there were a lot of manufactures of tow dollies, not to many left. Any idea how old it is?

Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Picking it up Monday. He wanted to use it one last time and I am tied up over weekend. Will post pic then. Looks very similiar to the Roadmaster. Ramps stow toward center from wheel pads. Has much smaller stablizer than the Roadmaster has. And drawtube is straight, not angled. The steering bushings has 4 grease fittings, one on top and bottom and two on the sides.