Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Buick Enclave

Anybody towing a Buick Enclave 4 down? I know it can be towed, but pretty heavy. 4800 lbs curb weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We did for a couple years. Tows fine, but you do need to leave the key in the ignition and pull one fuse. And yeah, it's pretty heavy.

We have since switched to 4x4 Jeeps which are really easy to tow. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park, take the key out (no wheel lock), and go.

joe

Old 05-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've been towing our 4900 lb GMC Acadia (sister to the Enclave) for over 5 years now. Tows fine, but my coach is rated to tow 10,000 lbs, as is my Aventa LX tow bar. You need to learn the tow rating for your RexAir and the tow bar you have (or will buy).

The weight of the toad is an extra cost only when going uphill.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Towed a 2010 Enclave 2000 miles. Didn't even know it was back there. The Enclave is an excellant vehicle. I like the spaciousness and comfort when driving. Great vehicle to take along. Don't think the extra weight matters if you got the diesel to pull it! I'm pulling with a 2012 Itasca Ellipse w/ 450HP cummings. Also, I went the extra and bought the Air Force One invisible brake. Love it! Nothing to do but plug it in to tow.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

I just purchased a 2010 Enclave as a toad. Question: Does everyone go thru the complete GM procedure before towing? The procedure has one applying the parking brake, doing a couple of things, then releasing the parking brake.
What does the parking brake have to do with it? Maybe just a GM CYA?

Roger
Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We never bothered with the parking brake when hooking up. Sue would just keep her foot on the brake while I did the connections.

joe
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Well bought a 2010 Enclave for a toad! Here we go. Thanks for the replies
Old 06-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It's a CYA and common sense. You are placing the car in neutral to tow, so it could roll if no other brake is in use until you get the tow bar hooked on.

I know of a lady who got a broken leg when the toad rolled forward and pinned her between car and coach. Wasn't an Enclave, though.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some concepts have a air of universality.

I like my toad to stay put when hooking and unhooking so it is good to have the parking brake applied.

It's called CMOA.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you take the BATT1 fuse out to tow the Enclave does it still cout the mileage being towed on the ODOMETER. We Just bought a new 2012 and hopefully wont have to count towed mileage against the warranty
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
When you take the BATT1 fuse out to tow the Enclave does it still cout the mileage being towed on the ODOMETER. We Just bought a new 2012 and hopefully wont have to count towed mileage against the warranty
It did not on our '08 Enclave.

joe
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

None of that GM family (Acadia/Enclave/Traverse/Outlook) will record miles if you follow the towing instructions. We've towed ours over 40k miles now.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is good to find out I do not have to worry about that. Thank You.

I am getting the baseplate installed on Wednesday. A friend and I built the baseplate for my geo tracker and I was going to install the one on the enclave. I looked at the directions and saw that it was going to be a bit of a job and I thought about the fact that this is my wifes daily driver with less than 300 miles on it and decided that having the professional install it might be a really good idea
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have everything installed and tried towing the enclave over the holiday. It towed fine the only issue I seem to have is getting a check engine light when I put the two fuses back in. I towed it about 175 miles and had a check engine light on when I started it back up. We were at our campsite so we drove it a couple of miles and the light did not go out. The next morning when we started the car the light as out. We drove to the dealers and had them check the computer for codes. It showed a couple of coes which they reset. When we drove back home today we had the same thing again. There was a check engine light on when we started the car back up after replacing the two fuses ( owners manual calls for pulling two fuses when towing) We unhooked the two bar about three miles from home and drove it the rest of the way home with the check engine light on. After we had unloaded food from the refrigerator and dirty clothes etc (about 20 minutes) we started the car up to drive to town and the check engine light was out. Has anyone had this happen to them.