Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

We have a Roadmaster shield.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
??? From the info given, this is an automatic that should not have been towed flat with out a pump, so its not the car/makers fault.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Sorry Kim but it is towable and the dealer installed new tranny at no cost to me.
Still dont know why it went out. So we traded for a edge which the owner of the dealer ship tows himself with no problems. Just a lemon I guess.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
??? From the info given, this is an automatic that should not have been towed flat with out a pump, so its not the car/makers fault.

The 09-April of 12 builds were rated for flat towing. However I still would like to know how many failures occurred with a gas motorhome towing under the flat towing guide lines. I stopped a Phaeton with an Escape on the highway because the transmission was purging fluid rapidly. That transmission was close to a melt down when they stopped. The heat behind the motorhome was very intense due to the heat of the motorhome engine. Im sure when Ford tested for flat towing it was done either on a dyno or pulled behind a truck and not a diesel pusher motorhome.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
Incorrect. Until Feb 2012 it was towable and any purchased after that date are not covered by transmission warranty if towed flat.

The manual states it is towable flat. TSB's issued say the same.

Our transmission has not burned out (has been towed about 7,000 miles) but we've had enough of the suspense while towing. Two weeks ago we towed 300 miles each way and the ScanGauge reported transmission fluid temperatures well over 200 degrees. When driving the Escape we cannot get the temp that high.

We have a Jeep Cherokee Limited 4 x 4 with Active Drive II (transfer case with Neutral) on order. We just about purchased a new Edge and then I decided I want to go back to a toad with a transfer case (our previous Tahoe and Colorado had transfer cases) and I also do NOT want to reward Ford for selling us a headache.

As to the dirt skirt - we intentionally left it off (had one on our previous 4 mh's) but will put one on after we have our new toad. We did not want to restrict the airflow because of the heat issue. We also really drove the transmission temperature up before the fluid level was lowered. It is very difficult to get the temp up to 185 plus (where Ford states it should be to get it adjusted down to the right level for towing) and I suspect a lot of the units that have burned out were not hot enough when the fluid level was adjusted.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

Incorrect. Until Feb 2012 it was towable and any purchased after that date are not covered by transmission warranty if towed flat.

The manual states it is towable flat. TSB's issued say the same.

Our transmission has not burned out (has been towed about 7,000 miles) but we've had enough of the suspense while towing. Two weeks ago we towed 300 miles each way and the ScanGauge reported transmission fluid temperatures well over 200 degrees. When driving the Escape we cannot get the temp that high.

We have a Jeep Cherokee Limited 4 x 4 with Active Drive II (transfer case with Neutral) on order. We just about purchased a new Edge and then I decided I want to go back to a toad with a transfer case (our previous Tahoe and Colorado had transfer cases) and I also do NOT want to reward Ford for selling us a headache.

As to the dirt skirt - we intentionally left it off (had one on our previous 4 mh's) but will put one on after we have our new toad. We did not want to restrict the airflow because of the heat issue. We also really drove the transmission temperature up before the fluid level was lowered. It is very difficult to get the temp up to 185 plus (where Ford states it should be to get it adjusted down to the right level for towing) and I suspect a lot of the units that have burned out were not hot enough when the fluid level was adjusted.
shadow, when did your dealership say to expect delivery? I want to drive a new Cherokee. And the limited is towable? In very limited research on my part, it looked to me like the trail hawk was the only towable model with auto transmission? Hope I'm wrong..little more than I hope to spend!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
shadow, when did your dealership say to expect delivery? I want to drive a new Cherokee. And the limited is towable? In very limited research on my part, it looked to me like the trail hawk was the only towable model with auto transmission? Hope I'm wrong..little more than I hope to spend!
Ours has not gone to production yet. We are hoping no later than early Oct but it could be later. They had a problem with the programming of the 9 speed transmission - and I believe it was primarily due to the Trail Hawk. Some stories indicate that they built a lot of units but will not release them until the transmission programs are updated.

Our Limited will have virtually all options except a CD player and extra speakers. You must have an Active Drive II transfer case to tow. It has a Neutral that is not in Active Drive I. I'm not sure if the Trail Hawk is towable due to the special rear end lock - but that is only a guess. I know that ours will be towable. The two less expensive models (Sport and Latitude) are not towable as they have Acitve Drive I and my understanding is that II is not an option. There is little difference between the price of a Limited and Trail Hawk with all options selected.

This will be DW's car and she is really looking forward to the options.

I joined the JeepGarage.com site to keep up with developments.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Theroc is correct! If the TSB was followed, including the fluid level adjust and running the engine for at least 5 minutes and shifting through Drive and Reverse it should have been fine.
I've towed my 2010 Escape All Wheel Drive approximately 20,000 miles and have not had an issue. I make sure that any service facility leaves the transmission fluid at the lower level and not to fill it up.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
Theroc is correct! If the TSB was followed, including the fluid level adjust and running the engine for at least 5 minutes and shifting through Drive and Reverse it should have been fine.
I've towed my 2010 Escape All Wheel Drive approximately 20,000 miles and have not had an issue. I make sure that any service facility leaves the transmission fluid at the lower level and not to fill it up.

As I noted earlier we did all that but the scary part is 220 deg on the ScanGauge for the fluid two weeks ago. I'd suggest far more frequent transmission fluid changes than specified because the heat reduces the fluid's life. I've been wondering what Ford would say about using Transynd or another TES 285 fluid. In the two DP's we had we always had trouble using the automatic fluid level test on the Allison 3000 and got the message that the fluid temperature wasn't hot enough to test - even after driving 500 miles.

When we take ours in for service I have a routine I go through when signing the work order - I let them know that NO fluid is to be added to the transmission and the penalty if they will be death." That gets their attention and they write it with a felt marker in great big letters.

I'd also suggest checking the fluid level after towing for a few hours so the fluid will be good and hot and it should be between the two towing marks on the dipstick.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #24

ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod View Post
Well, sorry to say you've just joined the legion of FOMOCO owners club of "Hey, you're cars on fire" club. Too bad Ford won't stand behind their product claims.
If you look in the owners manual it says the mariner can not be towed 4 down.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
If you look in the owners manual it says the mariner can not be towed 4 down.
And if you look at the owner's manual you will find that you certainly appear to be wrong as you will find the following:

Quote:
RECREATIONAL TOWING
Follow these guidelines for your specific powertrain combination to tow
your vehicle for personal travel (such as behind a motor home or a
truck).
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to
prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Refer to the Climate
Controls chapter for more information.
In case of roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle, please refer to
Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.
These guidelines are designed to prevent damage to your vehicle.
Front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles:
Tow your FWD vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with the
front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are using a tow
dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider.
Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow
these instructions:
For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, have
your transmission fluid level checked by an authorized dealer.
For the correct transmission fluid level when flat towing (all four
wheels on the ground), refer to Transmission fluid in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter.
Tow only in the forward direction.
Release the parking brake.
Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).
Place the ignition to the accessory position (refer to Starting in the
Driving chapter).
Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) if the vehicle is equipped with an
automatic transmission or 70 mph (113 km/h) if equipped with a
manual transmission.

Tires, Wheels and Loading
2010 Mariner (mrn)
Owners Guide, 2nd Printing
USA (fus)

For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, start the engine
and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and
every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on
the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R (Reverse) before
shifting back into N (Neutral).
Four-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles:
Tow your 4WD vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with all four
wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your
4WD vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow
dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground. This will cause damage to
your 4WD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the
instruction specified by the equipment provider.
Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow
these instructions:
For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, have
your transmission fluid level checked by an authorized dealer.
For the correct transmission fluid level when flat towing (all four
wheels on the ground), refer to Transmission fluid in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter.
Tow only in the forward direction.
Release the parking brake.
Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).
Place the ignition to the accessory position (refer to Starting in the
Driving chapter).
Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) if the vehicle is equipped with an
automatic transmission or 70 mph (113 km/h) if equipped with a
manual transmission.
For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, start the engine
and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and
every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on
the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R (Reverse) before
shifting back into N (Neutral).

Tires, Wheels and Loading
2010 Mariner (mrn)
Owners Guide, 2nd Printing
USA (fus)
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #26

Quote:
As I noted earlier we did all that but the scary part is 220 deg on the ScanGauge for the fluid two weeks ago. I'd suggest far more frequent transmission fluid changes than specified because the heat reduces the fluid's life. I've been wondering what Ford would say about using Transynd or another TES 285 fluid. In the two DP's we had we always had trouble using the automatic fluid level test on the Allison 3000 and got the message that the fluid temperature wasn't hot enough to test - even after driving 500 miles.

When we take ours in for service I have a routine I go through when signing the work order - I let them know that NO fluid is to be added to the transmission and the penalty if they will be death." That gets their attention and they write it with a felt marker in great big letters.

I'd also suggest checking the fluid level after towing for a few hours so the fluid will be good and hot and it should be between the two towing marks on the dipstick.
200-220 is not that scary. According to the WSM:"using the scan tool with the engine running, check and make sure that the transmission is at normal operating temperature 85-93C (185-200F)." The melting occurs when the fluid exceeds 300F. If you were driving the vehicle and it reached 275F, the PCM would go into a transmission failsafe to prevent any damage.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
200-220 is not that scary. According to the WSM:"using the scan tool with the engine running, check and make sure that the transmission is at normal operating temperature 85-93C (185-200F)." The melting occurs when the fluid exceeds 300F. If you were driving the vehicle and it reached 275F, the PCM would go into a transmission failsafe to prevent any damage.
Normal operating temperature when driving it is below 185 (based on our experience monitoring with the ScanGauge II). The transmission fluid change specification of 150,000 miles is not, IMO (based on the research I've done) appropriate if an Escape (or equivalent with a 6F35) is towed with the temperature frequently going up to 220. Some technical publications state that for every 20 degrees above 175 fluid life declines substantially by 50%.

It is often difficult determining who to believe. But I try to make sure the comments are not coming from an organization that has a lot to benefit from too frequent fluid changes. One publication stated:

Quote:
If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #28

Quote:
And if you look at the owner's manual you will find that you certainly appear to be wrong as you will find the following:
It must be the year because the manual for mine, 2008, says it can not be towed 4 wheels down.