Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Normal operating temperature when driving it is below 185 (based on our experience monitoring with the ScanGauge II). The transmission fluid change specification of 150,000 miles is not, IMO (based on the research I've done) appropriate if an Escape (or equivalent with a 6F35) is towed with the temperature frequently going up to 220. Some technical publications state that for every 20 degrees above 175 fluid life declines substantially by 50%.

It is often difficult determining who to believe. But I try to make sure the comments are not coming from an organization that has a lot to benefit from too frequent fluid changes. One publication stated:

I understand but your transmission has Mercon LV. It is the replacement for Mercon SP. However, I prefer the SP over the LV due to the excessively high expansion rate of LV and LV will turn dark brown very quickly. As a transmission Tech for Ford I am not a big fan of the 150K transmission fluid service life. Maybe if it was straight highway driving but not average. I have no issues on my normal drive cycle to get the transmission temps to 200 either. This will be a heavy mix of stop and go driving. The key is driving and keeping the transmission torque converter from locking. The heat is pretty much generated from the unlocked torque converter.

Im not sure how they come up with 90% of failures are due to overheating. Maybe they are referring to slipping clutchs and the hot spots but I have been rebuilding transmissions at a dealer since 2000 and only seen a couple of failures that are from overheating. Most failures are from seal or hard part failures. But as a side note, All of our 6 speeds have a very high reliability rate (flat tows not included). So the fluids may be part of that.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
It must be the year because the manual for mine, 2008, says it can not be towed 4 wheels down.
Your 2008 has a CD4E transmission. This is a 4 speed transmission and cannot be flat towed. The 2009 to present have a 6F35 transmission that is a 6 speed. This was rated for flat tow service for 2009 to April of 2012.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
It must be the year because the manual for mine, 2008, says it can not be towed 4 wheels down.
That is probably the case but, having said that, when Ford brought out its new family of transmissions (developed jointly with GM for $1.4 billion) they said NOT towable flat - but GM said theirs were. I had wanted to buy a Lincoln MKX to replace my Colorado so I was really PO'd because I read a tech article in which a Ford guru explained the new transmissions and how one little change made them towable flat. I called Ford and got no where. Eventually someone got to the right level and they issued supplements. If not for that screwup I would likely have had the Lincoln instead of the much heavier Tahoe LTZ. I should say though, the Tahoe was a very good vehicle and great for towing when I had a DP, and then less desirable when I downsized to a Kodiak, and now out of the question with an E450.

Does yours have the 6F35 transmission?
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited V6 Active Drive II
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
2011 Ford Escape

We bought a 2011 Ford Escape as a Toad because the Ford dealer said it was towable 4 on the ground. 2011, lost a tranny on the first trip. Ford replaced under warranty. 2012, lost the second tranny in New Mexico. Rented a U Haul dolly and towed it back to Texas. After a lot of arguments and reminding the dealer that they sold us the car as towable, they bought and installed A REMCO oil pump and installed it at their expense. Have not had a problem in over 12,000 miles.

Don't let them off the hook

Tom Kale
Tom Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #33
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a 2012 ford Escape and the dealer confirmed it was tow able 4 down. we had them get the transmission fluid to the proper level. we never tow over 60 mph, make sure we through drive and reverse (a copy is in the car). so far no troubles.
I agree make Ford and the Dealer responsible for the problem- I kept the dealers email about being able to tow 4 down.

SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote