Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Buying toad

We will be buying a used vehicle to toe. Trying to decide which is best. Car, SUV, truck?? Want to tow 4 down. What did you choose and why? Thanks for your insight. We want to make good decision.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like many others here, we bought a Honda CR-V AWD. The main reason for choosing it over other popular vehicles (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler) was that we really like it as a daily driver.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
We will be buying a used vehicle to toe. Trying to decide which is best. Car, SUV, truck?? Want to tow 4 down. What did you choose and why? Thanks for your insight. We want to make good decision.
I started with a Fiat 500 Convertible with 5 speed manual. It could be flat towed with transmission in neutral with key out as it did not have a steering col lock. It was also very light, only 2,500 pounds. I was able to buy a 2013 for $ 15,000 new in early 2014. Found that to be limiting as I could not carry adult passengers in the back seat, and the trunk was pretty small. But it was a FUN little car.

I have just converted to a 2016 Honda HR-V LX with 6 speed manual transmission. It also can be flat towed with the transmission in neutral but needs the key in. Honda says I can flat tow it up to 8 hours without pulling a couple of fuses, we'll see how that works out. It weighs 2,800 pounds. It has seating for 5 adults and 4 doors so it will work out better for giving adults rides. Lots more storage. It's going to be my daily drive car too. They are selling for full MSRP right now, which is $ 19,995.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had 3 criteria, aside from 4-down:
  • Had to be at least 20% under our hitch rating
  • Had to be automatic transmission without a lot of fuss (no fuse pulling, no having to stop every so often to start/run through gears...etc.)
  • Had to have enough leg/head room for DH

That lead us to our Jeep. Although, in hindsight, I should've had the criteria:
  • Higher reliability as far as repairs (think Consumer Reports)

We've sunk a boatload of $$ into repairs on this Jeep. So either it was assembled on a Friday or we've just not had good luck w/it.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
We love our Wrangler.
In hindsight I do wish we would have bought the 4 door.
It's just the two of us so two doors works fine, just hard on any other passengers to get in.
And besides it looks cool behind the mh.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

I tow a 2003 Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4, no problems at all, also have a hot wire in harness to keep battery charged. room for 6 adults I/s truck
Old 10-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went with a 2005 Honda CRV which is also a daily driver. Comfortable seating for four, room in the back to stuff and reasonable weight for the size plus reliability. We at 120,000 miles and other than an airbag recall the car has never seen a shop for repair work. The CRV replaced a 1998 Accord Coupe that I wore out at 210,000 miles, also never in a shop for repair. Starting with model year 2015 Honda changed the transmission on the CRV and the model is no long four down towable.

If at all possible your best option is whatever you have in the driveway if it can be modified. Some transmission can't be towed even with a lubrication pump.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
The Honda, pre 2015 CRV is a very popular choice. It is a great daily driver, AWD or 2WD, not a heavy vehicle, only about 3200 Lbs, easy set up, no towing mods required.
It does have an issue with the OEM battery being undersized, particularly when towing it, but the problem can be rectified for under $200 by installed a larger battery.
I give it a 9.5 out of 10. The .5 deduct is the battery.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We started with a Toyota P/U 4x4, which was just fine when ever there was just the two of us. But if we wanted to double date with someone we always had to take their car. So we needed something that would handle at least four adults.

We also stay at our RV resort in Oregon for the summer and to keep from hauling stuff back and forth from there to home, we rented a small storage compartment (environmentally controlled) and needed something that we could use to haul the stuff from the resort to storage.

We also wanted something comfortable, good mpg, quiet, with lots of options like Nav, XM, leather, roof rack, and power everything. But it had to be 4000 lbs or under to keep us under 80% of our mh's towing capacity. We now have a much larger and more powerful mh, so this last criteria no longer applies.

We determined that our best bet would be a small or mid size SUV. After much deliberation, test driving, researching, and eliminating those that cannot be towed 4-down....we finally settled on either the Chev Equinox, GMC Terrain or the Honda CRV (the CRV was actually a little smaller (inside and outside) than the Chev/GMC), and when the best deal was presented and negotiated, we wound up with the Terrain which scales out, believe it or not, at exactly 4000 lbs.

We now have about 80,000 miles on it, and we're averaging about 29 mpg overall and have yet to have it in the shop for any repair. There have been a couple of small mfg'ers recalls that were taken care of by the dealer and we just replaced the tires and battery.

So, I hope this answers your questions.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad