RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
The quick way to check is the tiny neutral button the active drive II has to the right of the select button and also shows the 4WD low option.
georgelesley ... just want to make sure I am looking for the right button before I head down to the car lot. Is it this one in the below sample picture (the "N" just to the right of AUTO?

FLSteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	237806  

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #16

That little button is your neutral switch.

cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #17

As mentioned Active Drive II is an option on most (maybe all) trim levels, the Round knob comes in multiple styles, 2 of which are available on Active Drive II, so in the ad photos look for the N> button or the Active Drive II logo on the left side of the tail gate. We bought a 2017 Cherokee about a year ago to set up as a TOAD, and went through of lot of this when shopping, many ads seem to list Active Drive 1 and 2 wrong, and many salesman will tell you a particular Cherokee has Active Drive 2 when it really has Active Drive 1 (there is nothing like driving 50 miles to look at a car just to find out the salesman lied to you).

Ike

p.s. we even strongly considered buying a used 2015 Latitude which had Active Drive II (it was at a great price, but my wife wanted a higher trim level, so we opted for a much more expensive great deal on a new Overland that had been sitting on a dealers lot 270 miles away for 17 months.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
That little button is your neutral switch.
+1.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
georgelesley ... just want to make sure I am looking for the right button before I head down to the car lot. Is it this one in the below sample picture (the "N" just to the right of AUTO?

FLSteve
Yes. It needs to have the N with a little light and it needs to have 4WD Low (a two speed transfer case).
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #20

OK..... so I pulled the trigger on the 2019 Trailhawk. Everything I have read shows I do not need the extra wiring kit. But for redundancy, I will install a battery charger. Was only $55.00 with RVi3

Just ordered a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Base plate and tail light/turn signal wiring is being installed in a month. Have also ordered and receiving the RVi3 auxiliary brake system.....

so I think I have covered all the bases... Would be interested in hearing if I missed anything....
Torack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torack View Post
Just ordered a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Base plate and tail light/turn signal wiring is being installed in a month.
Torack … what tail light/turn signal wiring kit did you order?

FLSteve
Old 03-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #22

Buying Toad - Cherokee Trailhawk

FLSteve. On the option list, select transmission DFJ for $1205. It’s the Active Drive II that you’re looking for. But you’ll have to accept the $500 option for the 2.0 I4 engine.

I was looking at the Overland before I bought the Rubicon.

Lisa would most likely prefer this.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torack View Post
OK..... so I pulled the trigger on the 2019 Trailhawk. Everything I have read shows I do not need the extra wiring kit. But for redundancy, I will install a battery charger. Was only $55.00 with RVi3

Just ordered a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Base plate and tail light/turn signal wiring is being installed in a month. Have also ordered and receiving the RVi3 auxiliary brake system.....

so I think I have covered all the bases... Would be interested in hearing if I missed anything....

By chance, have you weighed this vehicle?? I would like a Trailhawk but I am limited to 4220 lbs on my Navion. Their ststed curn weight works but I do not trust the listed wt in the promotional materials as all models change with "stuff" added or not.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK … we found a 2019 Trailhawk Elite with the Active Drive II transmission on the dealer lot that we both like. It has the adaptive cruise control and the front of the bumper looks like this. I just watched the Blue Ox BX1140 base plate installition video on etrailer.com and it looks doable as I will be doing my own install.

Anybody have the adaptive cruise control and does it present any problems towing? Salesman says you can turn it off in the vehicle settings. It's that oval section on the left side of the bumper grill looking at the front just to the right of the red tow hook.

FLSteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	238455  
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #25
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The adaptive cruise is not affected by my Roadmaster baseplate on my 2016 Cherokee Limited.
Vaark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #26

We have adaptive cruise control on our 2017 Cherokee Overland edition, it is a bit odd as it also has standard cruise control, and you can select either one while driving (separate buttons except for set/resume)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Installed Demco base plate on our 2019 Cherokee Limited with ACC. Our camera is dead center and is not affected by the tow equipment. We also have the adjustable air louvers which means we had to route our electrical wires and air brake lines into the louver box to get them to the front grill for mounting, which was doable but time consuming. So far the whole set up seems to work as advertised.

“Isn’t this great! Who knows what adventure is waiting for us out there!” Capt. Ron
DickJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
By chance, have you weighed this vehicle?? I would like a Trailhawk but I am limited to 4220 lbs on my Navion. Their ststed curn weight works but I do not trust the listed wt in the promotional materials as all models change with "stuff" added or not.

Here are the numbers on my 2017 TrailHawk: Reference LINK

Tags
buying, cherokee, toad