Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

C-Max flat tow Transmission failure

Has anyone experienced transmission issues with their Ford C-Max Hybrid?

My transmission had failed 2,000 miles from home. After a 300 mile day I unhooked to run around St. Louis for a few days and heard a loud bearing grinding noise that I thought was transmission. A Ford dealer confirmed after a road test and sampling the fluid that the transmission was trashed.

After 2 weeks of pain talking to the dealer and 1 email from Ford regional customer service (after numerous voice-mails and emails) I am being told that it is not covered under warranty because of improper flat towing.

I followed the very simple instructions that are in the owners' manual, but nobody can tell me what I did wrong??

Any ideas for "appealing" Ford's decision?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 12:31 AM   #2

sorry to hear your loss, and thank you for sharing your experience. hopefully someone can tell you how to get this through to ford covering,

i have been thinking about getting a c-max, now i'm thinking i'd better continue using my little honda fit, which has had 24000 miles on towing without issues.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

I hope this helps you,

Appeal help for Ford claims
Appealing Ford claims from assessor adjustment, exceeding the time limit and failure to return supporting documents is an everyday fact of life for a Ford warranty administrator. It can be downright frustrating when you cannot get the decision you are looking for or it seems no one is listening to reason.
To combat this, Ford instituted the Customer Care Team three months ago to assist dealers on unusual or complex warranty claim situations. Your dedicated Customer Service Managers (CSM) is available to assist you in getting a resolution to claim appeals.

However, before you reach out to your CSM, you must have exhausted all the standard appeal methods (ACESII, web, etc.). Then you need to file your concern with the Warranty Action Team (WAT) via the Dealer Ask Ford form. Only after getting back an unsatisfactory DAF can you take your appeal to your CSM.

best of luck my friend.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

I've towed mine about 15,000 miles with no problems.

If you go to the C Max forum, you'll see that others who haven't towed are experiencing transmission failures.

Dealer is stiffing you. Run it up the chain. They have to fix it, because it says in the owner's manual that it is OK to tow.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkartracer View Post

My transmission had failed 2,000 miles from home. After a 300 mile day I unhooked to run around St. Louis for a few days and heard a loud bearing grinding noise that I thought was transmission. A Ford dealer confirmed after a road test and sampling the fluid that the transmission was trashed.

After 2 weeks of pain talking to the dealer and 1 email from Ford regional customer service (after numerous voice-mails and emails) I am being told that it is not covered under warranty because of improper flat towing.

I followed the very simple instructions that are in the owners' manual, but nobody can tell me what I did wrong??

Can you tell us what instructions you were following I have heard they changed them along the way
Old 07-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Can you tell us what instructions you were following I have heard they changed them along the way
I have keyless entry and a start button, which behaves differently than the key ignition.

Each morning that I am towing, I start the engine (in park of course) and allow it to run for a minute or more. Depending on the charge of the battery or ambient temperature, often the gas pedal must be pressed to get the engine to start. Then, I will place it in "N" and touch the button to stop the engine. (The left display nags "shift to park" not a good idea here). It will go into power-saving mode after a little while but I still can't lock the doors. The alarm will sound as soon as I start towing, so I try to remember to lock them if I stop for lunch. It reminds me to unlock if I forget.

I tow at 60-65 mph and we try to limit the day's drive to 300-350 miles.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

You're doing it correctly. Early models manual said 5 minutes and run through P, N, and R. Clearly wrong since R is not a gear, the drive motor runs backwards to reverse the car so putting it in reverse does nothing to lube things prior to towing.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it seems your doing it right here are the instructions for my 2015 CMax Energi

Vehicles with Push Button Start 1. Start the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, and then pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button until the vehicle starts. 2. Press the brake pedal and shift the transmission into position N. 3. Turn the vehicle off by pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button once. (Trip Summary appears in the left instrument cluster screen when the vehicle is off.)

Note:A SHIFT TO PARK or TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK message may appear in the information display when the transmission is in position N and the ignition is in the off position. You can ignore the message during recreational towing.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkartracer View Post

First, The appeal procedure outlined in post #3 is for a DEALER to appeal a denied warranty claim. It is not for a vehicle owner to use to protest a denial of warranty coverage decision.

Second, Tell the dealer you want to meet with their Ford District Manager for Service & Parts. Ask this district manager to explain EXACTLY what caused the transmission to fail and what Exactly you did wrong to cause this failure, and Exactly how they were able to determine you were at fault. If this doesn't bring about a satisfactory resolution.....

Third, Contact your states Attorney General and file a lemon law complaint if your still covered by your states lemon law, or file a denial of warranty complaint with the AG office and request their office to proceed with an arbitration hearing if they offer this. Also send a written letter by certified mail to the Ford Customer Relations department detailing what happened and your meeting with the Ford District Manager and the fact that you wish to appeal their decision and request their arbitration procedure.

It sounds like the dealer made the decision not to cover the repair and has BS'd some Ford C/S clerk to back them up. Once the heat gets turned up and more people get to looking at the situation the decision will probably get reversed.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

I see you also posted on the C Max forum. I noticed that the Ford Rep on that forum remains silent as usual.

I'm pretty sure the rep has never done anything useful for forum members in the almost four years I've been on it.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #11

illbrob's is an excellent guide to follow. please keep us posted.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am anxious to hear how this turns out. In February, we purchased a 2016 C-Max specifically because it could be flat towed behind our motorhome. While I have not installed the baseplate on it yet, we have driven the C-Max over 10,000 miles and we love the car. I hope the cause of the OP's transmission failure turns out to be something unusual and it is quickly resolved. To Oldkartracer, I hope you have success with your appeals.

------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
I am anxious to hear how this turns out. In February, we purchased a 2016 C-Max specifically because it could be flat towed behind our motorhome. While I have not installed the baseplate on it yet, we have driven the C-Max over 10,000 miles and we love the car. I hope the cause of the OP's transmission failure turns out to be something unusual and it is quickly resolved. To Oldkartracer, I hope you have success with your appeals.

------ Jim
I don't think you have anything to worry about. From what I have learned this failure is limited to C-Max's built before June 2913.

That's why I am especially PO'ed at Ford, knowing they are aware of this issue.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

Thanks for the correction, lllkrob.
I'm curious to hear the end result..

Tags
tow, transmission