Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
You also have the SMI brake system. I use the Air Force One and just like the others, just connect one air line and that is it. 100% proportion braking. very reasonable price and a very good customer service to work with.

SMI MANUFACTURING
Love my AF1 also!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Asking the Wolf how safe are the sheep doesn't cut it!

The whole problem is that there are No Standards in place governing Recreation Vehicles that Tow Motorized Vehicles, or the Equipment used to perform the Task!

The Factory installed Air Chuck is not the typical Off the shelf Connector! Unless it has been replaced or changed either by the Owner or someone else! They look similar but they are not identical. They are as was pointed out intended for the use of a Towing Company to Air Up the Suspension and release the Spring Brakes. Not as an Air supply for accessories,although many use to inflate Tires and Beach Toys .

Tampering with the Original Braking System of any Vehicle is an offence!

I'm not saying that the Equipment available is not up to doing the intended job. I do however take exception to a general lack of a performance standard . How can any of Us be sure that the product purchased is safe to use? How can We be sure that Brand X does a better ,safer job than Brand Y?

Nobody in any branch of Government has set in place any sort of regulations or requirements covering these secondary systems or products! When asked the Feds tell You to ask the State or Provincial authorities . When You do that You get referred to the Feds.

We read ,in the Advertising that certain States and Provinces require Auxiliary Braking Systems ,but none of these advertisers has sought approval from the various jurisdictions for any kind of standards.

Without a performance ,and manufacturing standard No Laws can be enacted or Rules enforced to compel anyone to use these products. Regardless of claims made to the contrary.

Is there any Government or Independent testing facility that is even interested in establishing any sort of benchmark?

We all know that We can no longer just tie a piece of Rope between the Coach and the Towed, but isn't that exactly the same situation?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #17

Perhaps RobRV your questions would be better asked of the manufacturers than here. As someone has already mentioned Spartan does have an approved process/equipment for this task. As there are regulations and requirements by states regarding auxiliary braking i am sure there had been some thought put into this.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Please re read the First Line !

Asking the Manufacturers is like asking a Wolf if the Sheep are Safe!

None of them will give Any of Us a satisfactory answer!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Please re read the First Line !

Asking the Manufacturers is like asking a Wolf if the Sheep are Safe!

None of them will give Any of Us a satisfactory answer!
They also assume the liability for an unsafe product. If their mission is to make money then getting sued is not the way.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
but one simple cable sounds better to me.
There should be 2 cables, one for normal stopping, and a second cable in case the towed becomes disconnected for the emergency stop. A towed vehicle or two has been know to become disconnected while moving, and the second cable will hopefully apply the brakes before it hits someone or something. While some choose not use one, after all "it can't happen to me", or "it does not happen often", I chose the Darwin route, and if it can happen, it will eventually happen to me, so I plan accordingly, plus I still have a conscience and knowing I could have prevented something will weigh heavy on me.
My personal preference is air or electric. I am not a fan of cables, I ride a bicycle and see the wear and tear my brake and shifter cables see. All of them are subject to failure at some point.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
All the fittings/air chuck that came from M&G Braking are of quality manufacturing........I don't believe they went to the yearly "Tool Sale" at the local Holiday Inn.......to buy them
Old 01-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
I looked at all of the displays at the FMCA show in OR last summer. A simple air driven system was really attractive until I asked about fail-safe just in case you have a problem with the connection to the toad: "it's a small controlled leak" didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings.

I bought an RV iBrake2 system. Installs in minutes in most cars (took me maybe 3 minutes to install in our Miata aand part of that was re-reading the instructions). It is a proportional system based on inertia monitoring, very much like the best trailer brake controllers. I tested it on our way home and was very happy with the braking effort it added to the toad. We haven't towed our Lexus, but I test-fitted the iBrake - another 3 minute installation. I just learned that my new-to-me Silverado 4x4 has a neutral in the transfer case and can be flat towed. I'll be checking it out for fitment, but I'm confident it will be another drop-in installation.

It is expensive, but to me it had no downsides and a lot of utility.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
I looked at all of the displays at the FMCA show in OR last summer. A simple air driven system was really attractive until I asked about fail-safe just in case you have a problem with the connection to the toad: "it's a small controlled leak" didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings.

I bought an RV iBrake2 system. Installs in minutes in most cars (took me maybe 3 minutes to install in our Miata aand part of that was re-reading the instructions). It is a proportional system based on inertia monitoring, very much like the best trailer brake controllers. I tested it on our way home and was very happy with the braking effort it added to the toad. We haven't towed our Lexus, but I test-fitted the iBrake - another 3 minute installation. I just learned that my new-to-me Silverado 4x4 has a neutral in the transfer case and can be flat towed. I'll be checking it out for fitment, but I'm confident it will be another drop-in installation.

It is expensive, but to me it had no downsides and a lot of utility.
I have read a lot of good post about that system!
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #24

Since the OP is only requesting information about product that attach to the brake pedal, and specifically does not want to know about any other braking system, lets get to it.
When you do an internet search you'll find many references to these systems failing and either wearing out the brakes to the point of total failure, or simply burning up. That is why most of your replies attempt to point you to a reliable product other than those that sit in the floorboard and clamp to the brake pedal, or are mounted under the hood or under the seat, and attach to the brake pedal with a cable.
In the years I've been a member here, I've never read about one of the better air-powered towed braking systems failing. I have read several posts complaining about the cheaper systems failing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #25

Cable vs Electric /Air

I have a 2000 Brake Buddy. Now on second toad. Never need to charge battery. Over 100,000 miles. Sets up in 30 seconds. Golden!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Off the shelf quick connects are common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Tying in to the Coaches Air Brake system using quick connects ,Sounds extremely risky to Me! Is any of this approved by any sort of National Highway Safety Commission or is it strictly on the advice of the seller of the equipment?

There are thousands of Semi Trailer units out there on the Highways using properly certified Air Brake components ,I can't think of a single instance where an off the shelf Quick connect is used in any application.
Respectfully disagree. I drove big and small rigs for years. All of our quick connects were off the shelf right from the parts store (maybe I didn't understand what you meant by off the shelf). Most were pancake style and some were air hose style. The only time I lost a line or pressure was as a result of a line failure. Then the sudden drop of pressure sent me to the shoulder as the buzzers went off, warning light came on and brakes begin to set. That being said I would never recommend jury rig set ups. Stick with the certified manufacturer spec equipment. These manufacturers would be out of business if they built less than to the standards. Many exceed the DOT, NTSB and IEEE standards. Avoid the fly by night.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
(Asking the Wolf how safe are the sheep doesn't cut it!)

RobRV and what system do you use?
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
There should be 2 cables, one for normal stopping, and a second cable in case the towed becomes disconnected for the emergency stop. A towed vehicle or two has been know to become disconnected while moving, and the second cable will hopefully apply the brakes before it hits someone or something. While some choose not use one, after all "it can't happen to me", or "it does not happen often", I chose the Darwin route, and if it can happen, it will eventually happen to me, so I plan accordingly, plus I still have a conscience and knowing I could have prevented something will weigh heavy on me.
My personal preference is air or electric. I am not a fan of cables, I ride a bicycle and see the wear and tear my brake and shifter cables see. All of them are subject to failure at some point.
That's the way mine is. Two cables: the first one applies brakes and then releases. The second cable has a couple of inches of slack and a locking device so that if the vehicle comes loose the second cable pulls applies the brakes and does not release stopping the towed vehicle. The locking device can be manually released if the cable has been pulled.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote