Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Can someone post pictures as to how you shift the SRX into neutral.

I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and made the mistake of taking it in for the recall. I now have the sporadic problem of it not shifting into neutral. The SRX sounds like it might fit my needs and is if it easy enough to shift into neutral I may be buying one.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I am in the process of setting up my 2010 SRX to tow......Blue Ox baseplate....Aladdin 7500lb tow bar.....light kit with diodes....battery charge line from RV....RVi2 brake with direct line to battery. Brake away switch....Tech says I still have to pull a fuse?? Am I missing anything?
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I am using a light bar from Toadlights and it is the simplest way I found to wire up the tow vehicle.
You can google the name.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
My 2019 SRX is now hooked up to tow ......lights and signals won't work so I guess I am not ready yet.
Question my dash lights are staying on ....do I need to pull a fuse?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Something is not quite right. You shouldn't have any dash lights at all. The only light is the blue one in the middle that should come on when you open the door and go out when you shut the door.

You've done the whole "button under the shifter" thing?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
On my...2010?...SRX
Yes center blue light stayed on...entertainment center ,too
Is there a certain sequence to pushing the ...button...kill engine before or after?
The RVi2 brake dealer told my I had to pull fuse 32, but people here said shut the door and go.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #21

Shut the engine off first. Then press button down and shift into neutral. Double-check you are in neutral as you won't have the indicators in the dash. Shut the door and go.

Ours doesn't have the fancy entertainment center, but I've never had an issue.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks......must shut engine off before shifting to N
Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytrwo View Post
I tow a 2012 srx awd 4 wheels down using blue ox tow bars and a blue ox base plate. The wiring for the toad brake, turn signals and running lights are wired into the srx wiring. I use a permanently installed US Gear braking system in the srx

Now if you research these topics on this sight or others you will find as many people in agreement or disagreement to what I use. We all either love our systems or hate it. Mine I love. No, the blue ox tow bars are not a pita. works great. Easy to put on or off if you can follow directions. The braking system works fine and is adjustable proportional braking. Being installed permanently means "it's there" when you want to use it. So hook up your tow bars, connect your umbilical cord and cord for the breakaway switch. You are connected.
Now sit in the driver's seat of the srx. Move your switch/knob for the adjustable brake pedal to put the pedal as close to the seat as you can. Now set you seat memory buttons both 1 and 2 to this memory position. Now your seat will not move nor will the brake pedal.

my 2012 does not require me to start the engine to move the tranny to neutral. Just put your small screw driver in the hole and move your shifter to neutral. your steering wheel and wheels will now be able to turn while under tow. Get out, close the door and you are ready to go.

Since the wiring is permanently installed your rear lights in your srx should be working. set up the switches to activate these in the m/h driver's area, and have your partner verify that they work. Drive away.

I installed the baseplate, braking system and lighting myself. I did this since I couldn't find someone in my area who had installed this before but were willing to learn at $100 to $130 an hour. so now I know how it all hangs together if problems develop.
Hopes this info helps.

Woody, which Blue OX tow bar are you using? Do you use any type of rock guard on the toad like the guardian to protect the toad?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok gang, I need some additional help. Our '15 SRX is my wife's car and today we put the car in neutral and then tried to remove the shift boot. the manual says to lift up on the trim. We are assuming that you lift up on the chrome trim that goes around the boot where it is inserted into the brown plastic console???

As you can tell, we are a bit timid....don't want to break anything? Do you use a small screw driver to pry it out?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
Ok gang, I need some additional help. Our '15 SRX is my wife's car and today we put the car in neutral and then tried to remove the shift boot. the manual says to lift up on the trim. We are assuming that you lift up on the chrome trim that goes around the boot where it is inserted into the brown plastic console???

As you can tell, we are a bit timid....don't want to break anything? Do you use a small screw driver to pry it out?
You got it! Use a very thin screwdriver to pry it out. Our first time was also heart stopping
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #26

I Used our 2012 SRX for a couple of years. Very nice set up. You just pull on the leather and lightly pry up with screwdriver and it will pop up. Eventually it will come up with just a tug and no prying.

If anyone is thinking about getting an SRX, I have a blue ox base plate that I would sell (and a tow hitch). Send me a message if interested.
brywit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks y'all!
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 02-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #28

My wife lifts the boot with the stick in park. Also she turns the headlight switch to the off position (left), I know it's a springloaded knob that returns ba k to the "auto" position. The reason we started doing this is when going through tunnels or night it turns on the headlights and kills the battery.
We've been towing our 2011 SRX for two years now with no problems.

Tags
toad