Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

I decided to have a professional install the Blue OX base plate, wiring harness and diode kit on my 2015 Cadillac SRX. It took them 9 hours to install and they did a great job. There is a video posted on the entire operation on Youtube,

They said even after watching it, this was the most difficult install they've done yet.....something about it being a Cadillac and having 150 trim clips??? Anyway, the whole front façade, bumper and grill has to come off.

to remove the tow pins, you have to pull the spring loaded ring on the right of each pin and then simultaneously twist the pin 90 degrees to remove them. the spacing is really tight so it looks like you have to be really careful not to get in a hurry else you can scratch the chrome. I'm now wondering how to make sure that the safety cables don't rub the finish off of the grill given the locations of the steel rings...anyone have suggestions on what you are doing?

I paid a handsome price to have this installed but my wife is happy that her car still looks like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'15 Caddy SRX Blue Ox Base Plate (1).JPG
Views:	281
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	88289   Click image for larger version

Name:	'15 Caddy SRX Blue Ox Base Plate (3) Pins in Closeup.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	88290  

Name:	'15 Caddy SRX Blue Ox Base Plate (4) Pins in Closeup.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	88291   Click image for larger version

Name:	'15 Caddy SRX Blue Ox Base Plate (7) Pins removed-Close up.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	88292  

Name:	'15 Caddy SRX Blue Ox Base Plate (6) Pins removed.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	88293  
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thought I would add some pictures to help others understand the process to prepare the transmission for towing. Kind of hard taking tools to a brand new vehicle's interior trim! GM should make a small hole in the boot that allows this process to take place without all of these steps....

Here are pictures of the steps to prepare the car for towing......
Engine off, wheels chocked or car connected to your coach!

Pic #1 Shift boot
Pic #2 Gently pry the trim plate with a small screwdriver first from the bottom right side and then from the bottom right corner. Too much pressure will crack the chrome (Dealer advice)
Pic #3 I marked where Neutral is with a gold vis-a-vis pen as there are no markings for R, N, D,
Pic #4 insert small screwdriver in the hole
Pic #5 Shift the car into Neutral just like you would if driving.
Do not re install the shift boot until you are ready to drive the car away from the coach.

Steering wheel does not lock, no power is turned on, so you are ready to go. Another person suggested in manually turning the headlights to the off position (1/4 turn left) just to keep them from turning on.

Whenever you start the car (per the recommendations at every fuel stop or each morning/evening) you will need to shift the car into park, then turn the car off and repeat steps 4-5

Read the owners manual.....important info about tow speeds...65 MPH Max (posted speeds where I live are 80.....not that I would ever drive my rig that fast.....Just be aware!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shift Boot1.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	88298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Boot 2.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	88299  

Name:	SHift Boot 3.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	88300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Boot 4-press button.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	88301  

Name:	Shift boot5 SHift into Neutral.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	88302  
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 03-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the photos, they show it well. I would consider that trim removal to be a major pain. If it were me, I would look into installing a grommet in the boot so you could insert the screw driver without removing anything.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
Woody, which Blue OX tow bar are you using? Do you use any type of rock guard on the toad like the guardian to protect the toad?
Hi just dreaming. Sorry to get back to you soo slowlyyy. I use a home made net to stop the rocks , stones, etc. Doe not stop dust. It is basically a net made out of the netting used for dump trucks to stop their loads from blowing away. Net is basicaaly as wide as the M/H and goes under the tow bars et al to the wideth of the toad. has a "hem" around the perimeter to allow a bungee cord to be stung thru. You attach the bungee cord to the back of the M/H and the front of the toad. To keep the neting from rubbing on the pavement when you are turning corners, use a 3/4 inch poly water pipe ( the white stuff) from side to side over all the towing stuff about midway from the M/H and the Toad. Wasn't my idea. You can buy these at retail but someone put his own together and I just improved on the design. In 2 years of towing (about 7,000 miles) not a chip om the SRX.
woodytrwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #33

SRX Toad

Hello,

You mention there is a you tube video showing the installation of the Blue Ox BX 1690 baseplate on a 2015 Cadillac SRX. Can you share that link? Asking as I am in the process of installing this baseplate on my wife's new vehicle and find that the measurements for the gap between the baseplate and car frame are too large by about inch to clear the fascia. Would be helpful to see how someone else has done this.

Thank you.
pdarbonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a couple of videos showing the installs on Caddy SRX....2011 model. I also posted pics on an earlier post of tHe finished install on mine. I had a professional so the work and it took them 9 hours to complete the job. You will note that they did have to cut away portions of the Dacia and grill to complete the install.

Google blue ox base plate installation for SRX and click on the "video" link on the Google page to filter the search results.

Blue Ox Base Plate Kit Installation - 2011 Cadillac SRX Video | etrailer.com
Video for blue ox base plate for cadillac srx▶ 7:05
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-b...011-cadillac-s...

Video Blue Ox Base Plate Kit Installation - 2011 Cadillac SRX review and installation ...
Installation of the Blue Ox Base Plate Kit on a 2011 Cadillac SRX - etrailer.com - YouTube
Video for blue ox base plate for cadillac srx▶ 7:06

Jan 27, 2014 - Uploaded by etrailer.com
http://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2011_Cadillac_SRX.htm
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #35

Smile Glad that the job is done.

just a few things to note about the baseplate install from my experience. First, I was glad to hear that the "experts" took 9 hours for the install. It took me 24 hours over 5 days but I'm just a retired older fellow. But that time also included the wiring for the exterior lighting and installing the US Gear braking system. If you are going to do this yourself it will sure help to raise the front of the car up. I used ramps with a block of wood on top. Saves your back. There are not 150 fasteners to remove the facia. That was one of the easier things to do and re-install. about 15 nylon fasteners and a dozon bolts. I was able to remove the facia entirely and put it to one side of the garage. The instructions are pretty good; it's just understanding them when you are faced with doing what they say. "you want me to drill there?" type of thing. And I don't know how much time that i spent reading and re-reading the directions. The hardest part and the most critical imho is the actual baseplate bolting onto the frame. If this is not lined up as required than the bars going thru the facia grill will not line up. Also there are 6 bolts/nuts to install to connect the plate to the frame. the bolts slip thru holes that you have lined up and then drilled, The nuts need to be attached to the bolts inside the hollow frame on each side. To do this they have attached a wire to each nut and you just carefully insert this to where the bolt is and use the bolt to screw on the nut. You are reaching in with this wire thing about 6 to 12 inches and it is pure heartache lining these up. ( reason for the wire attached to the nut is that this frame size doesn't allow you to get your hand in there.)
But I'm glad that the job is now done. Good luck with your install.
woodytrwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:15 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question about odometer

When the SRX is put in neutral with the "switch" under the shifter boot, does the odometer register mileage when you are towing?
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #37

" I'm now wondering how to make sure that the safety cables don't rub the finish off of the grill given the locations of the steel rings...anyone have suggestions on what you are doing?"

I got a LeBra for my 2015 Malibu to protect the front from rocks, etc. I had to make small holes for the towing pins to protrude through. It should protect the chrome and paint, but the towing cables as well as the cable for the lights, etc are all coiled and don't really hang down, so cables rubbing your paint and chrome shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #38

Does anyone have the curb weight of any of the 2011-2015 SRX ?
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #39

Owners manual says 4224.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
When the SRX is put in neutral with the "switch" under the shifter boot, does the odometer register mileage when you are towing?
No - while in neutral there are no miles registered on the odometer. We have towed our 2015 AWD SRX about 6500 miles this year and the ODO only shows the mileage we actually drove it (about 2000).
pdarbonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at the pictures earlier in this stream that show you how to disengage the transmission. you have to "pop" up the shift boot with a small flat bladed screwdriver and then there is a small hole with a button that you push with a small screwdriver or something similar to disengage the trans. Once you get comfortable with taking a screwdriver to the trim and shifter boot, it works really well
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My safety cables are tightly coiled and therefore don't rub against the grill.
FMCA-GOOD SAM

Tags
toad