Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #43

We just bought a 2015 SRX and need to add the towing stuff. I did this myself on the Subaru so plan to do this myself on the Cadillac. Can anyone tell me the best way to run the lighting cable from the front of the car to the rear? On the Subaru there was a trim strip along the carpet edge so I was able to run it under the carpet edge. Can you do this on the SRX? Also where is a good point to come through the firewall?

Algoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #44

I did the install on my 2014 SRX with the Towmaster baseplates and SMI DUO Stay-in-Play brake system. The brake system comes with a 4-conductor cable that runs to the rear taillights. The videos on the eTrailer.com, are very helpful, and I installed everything pretty much exactly as they did in the videos. I drilled a 1" hole in the firewall just to the right of the accelerator pedal for the brake vacuum line and the electrical lines, then ran the 4-conductor cable under the chassis - through the frame where possible, or just wire-tied to the frame otherwise. Again, the eTrailer videos were very good and accurate.

I couldn't be happier with the system I installed. The Roadmaster baseplates are a little easier to install than the Blue Ox. They require a crossbar in front that the Blue Ox don't, but it isn't a big deal.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #45

If I missed this I'm sorry but here is this bit of info. We have had our SRX headlights turn on twice. The first time I couldn't figure out why my battery was dead,....I mean really dead! Second time was at night, they turned on while we were towing into sunset and the auto turned on. Then I realized previously I had traveled through two tunnels when the bat went dead!
When preparing to tow now we turn the headlight switch to the left.. it is spring loaded and will go back to "auto" and we've not had a dead battery since.
We have friends that have a SRX and it happened to them once in three years but they couldn't figure it out till we shared our story.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #46

Just a bit of info. I have a 2012 srx set up for tow. now about 20 trips and 12000 miles. never had the headlights come on that I know of. nor have I experienced a dead battery. could be that the wiring for my srx lights take their current from the m/h battery.

Covered my install of the blue-ox baseplate previously. Just a note that I did not have to cut away any of the fascia. It is a tight fit but seems to be an excellent match for the tow bars.

My wiring runs from the umbilical cord at the front of the srx thru the grill, up along the battery, down the firewall and thru to the rear of the srx either thru the steel frame or tied to the frame. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole thru the floor in front of the pedals and beside the center tonneau for the wiring to the brake pedal.

Good luck with your install. you'll be saving yourself some real $$$$$.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #47

Thanks for that and your previous on the baseplate install. I plan to add a light bar to the wheelchair lift we have on the SRX and run the wiring from the front directly to that. Means I don't have to modify the car in any way. Also it works out cheaper than adding all those diodes.
There seem to be a lot of steps in removing the front of the car to install the baseplate. Can one person handle the weight when it is free? I don't want to drop it and damage it in any way.
Algoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #48

Front bumper and fascia are not heavy. It is more cumbersome. Someone to help move it to the side would be an asset.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems a access hole in the boot would be a good thing. Anyone done this? Any reason why not to do so?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #50

Cadillac SRX as toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Seems a access hole in the boot would be a good thing. Anyone done this? Any reason why not to do so?

It takes nothing to lift the rear of the boot up. I've never needed a screw driver to pry the boot off. I also marked where neutral is under the boot in relationship to the shifter with a silver sharpie. Major key on our SRX, leave the radio on and then hit the start/stop button to make sure you shut the whole system down. Don't shut off radio with on/off radio button, don't shut down Nav with Nav button just make sure everything shuts down with the start/off button.

2014 Newmar Ventana 3436
Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The boot on my SRX would not come up without using a small screwdriver. See pics on page 3, 3/10/15. I thought about putting an hole in my boot but feared that It might rip. I then thought about using a punch rivet (think tarps) in a small size but when I presented the concept to DW she would have nothing of it . The other thing is that when the boot is up, it also provides as a reminder that you've prepared the car for towing.

Incidentally, I keep a "jump start" in my Motorhome for emergency start/power situations so when we are on the move, I put it in the passenger side floorboard and plug my Patriot brake into it for power.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #52

SRX Boot Shift Modification

Added a little modification so you don't have to pull the boot off to shift out of park.

Super glued a sleeve/spacer over the push release and then added a small bolt. This allows you to push on the bolt while the boot is still on and release from park. Saves one step!

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	128538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	128539  

Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #53

Finnaz, very clever! Where did the sleeve come from?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Finnaz, very clever! Where did the sleeve come from?
I had this one as leftover parts from a TV Wall mount. But you should be able to find these at most hardware stores.

Tony
Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to JGraham179
I used the diode kit and it works very good and has been installed for 4 years without a hitch.
JGraham179 2005 Eagle 2012 SRX all wheel drive

Tags
toad