Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cadillac SRX light problem

I am still trying to get my 2010 Cadillac SRX set up to tow.
Base plate is installed by my auto body shop...They also installed the Blue Ox lighting kit with diodes. The problem is no lights work. There is Power through the blue cord to the car but no lights work. When you put different direct power to the car plug... lights work..turn signal and brake lights work.
Plug in the power cord to the RV and we get nothing.
Blue Ox said we need a wiring adapter as the SRX is grounding the wires that go to the lights.
In my research on the forums, no one mentions this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you use a long jumper wire from the umbilical cord from the RV to test the lights at various points. I'm not clear on the idea, "Blue Ox said we need a wiring adapter as the SRX is grounding the wires that go to the lights." If you installed a plug at the front of the SRX to accept the umbilical from the RV, I don't understand where or how things are getting grounded to stop the signal. Where did the wiring from the bumper plug get connected into the SRX? If the wires were tied into the fuse panel or wiring at the front, there might be issues. I prefer to run the wires directly to the tail lights and bypass all possible conflicts, then install the diodes to prevent feedback to the car's lighting circuits. With turn indicators on mirrors, cruise control on brake light circuits, etc., it gets complicated to wire at the front of the harness.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the reply.
Auto body guy wired from front of car...the plug.... To the back lights...installed diodes about 6 in before lights,brakes,turn signals using Blue Ox lighting kit. Something is not adding up
I guess I need to start over... Make sure there is power back to lights...
Auto body guy and Blue Ox not communicating very well.
Blue Ox said I need to put a 5wire to 4wire converter on the Rv.
Haven't heard of anyone else needing a converter.
Don't understand if everything works properly from the 7 pin plug from the rig to the car plug why not one thing lights up on the back of the car.
Going to start from scratch Monday and do over myself.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Most of the time a converter is needed if the RV and the toad have incompatible lights. If your RV has a separate light for turn and brake, and your toad has the same, no converter is needed. If one of the vehicles uses a two filament bulb, where the brighter one is double duty brake and turn, then a converter is needed.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
That was my question for the forum...
I never heard of anyone needing a converter for their SRX
Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2015 Srx/ blue OX setup is working fine. No converter needed.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Gentlemen, I said, "Most of the time a converter is needed if the RV and the toad have incompatible lights." I should have underlined and bold-faced the IF. If both the RV and the towed have separate brake and turn signals, no converter needed. If one has combined brake/blinker on the bright element, then a converter is needed or the blinker won't signal turns.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
...Blue Ox said we need a wiring adapter as the SRX is grounding the wires that go to the lights...
The wires that come from the MH to the lights of the SRX are hot when the lights are on. If the SRX were grounding them, there would be a short, so this explanation doesn't make sense to me.

Did the body shop run a ground wire from the MH to the SRX? Power for the lights when you're towing the SRX is coming from the MH, so there must be a ground connection to the MH as well. You can't trust metal to metal contact through the tow bar to complete the circuit.

Are the diodes installed correctly? Diodes prevent current from flowing backwards from the toad to the MH. If installed incorrectly, they can prevent current from flowing from the MH to the toad. There should be 2 connections on each diode for current in (one from the SRX and one from the MH) and one out to the lights.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Well....
Found the problem....
It was the ground.
Had to run a ground wire from the battery back to the tail lights...
There was a good ground at the back of the car.....but lights still did not work.
Ran a ground from the battery and they lit right up.
Thanks everyone for your imput.

Tags
light