Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Cadillac SRX, Lincoln MKX or MKZ

I am considering buying a new toad. I am looking at the Cadillac SRX, the Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKZ. I would appreciate your comments, especially with regard the following:

1. Ride Comfort

2. Quiet

3. Easy towing setup

3. Reliability

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have towed our 2013 MKX for about a year now (15,000 miles) and although we had real issues to start with, I am quite happy with it now. The problem was we had a bad cell in the toad battery and it took a while to figure it out. I added a charging line and even towed with the aux brake unhooked and it always had a dead battery after 3 or 4 hours.

The MKX needs to be towed in acc mode, and it has a ton of electronics so I thought something was just drawing it down. Had Lincoln check it out twice and on the second time they discovered the bad battery and replaced it. No problems since and the car by itself is great. The wife loves it and it is very comfortable to drive and ride in.

I dont think you can go wrong with the MKX.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Think MKS I just towed my 2014 1,300 miles for the first time. Over 5 days.
Need to start and run for 5 min every morning and every 6 hours later of towing.

I did have one day the battery was dead(2nd day). After charged it up, it didn't happen again. But I do have a charge line kit coming to put on for just in case.

MKS run engine 5 min, put trans in D then R then N. Shut Push Button engine off. Then tow NO ACC mode needed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 2013 MKX and couldn't be more pleased.
It's so easy to tow that you don't even know its behind you.
We have had a SRX ( did not tow ) and believe the ride and quality of the MKX IMHO far exceeds the SRX.
We have also have had both a Wrangler as well as a CRX which we towed and really believe the MKX has them both beat for ease of towing.

ENJOY !
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPA View Post
We have towed our 2013 MKX for about a year now (15,000 miles) and although we had real issues to start with, I am quite happy with it now. The problem was we had a bad cell in the toad battery and it took a while to figure it out. I added a charging line and even towed with the aux brake unhooked and it always had a dead battery after 3 or 4 hours.

The MKX needs to be towed in acc mode, and it has a ton of electronics so I thought something was just drawing it down. Had Lincoln check it out twice and on the second time they discovered the bad battery and replaced it. No problems since and the car by itself is great. The wife loves it and it is very comfortable to drive and ride in.

I dont think you can go wrong with the MKX.

Wow great timing for this post. We are considering getting a MKX also and just want to know how to deal with the push button start to get into the acc. position. What do you need to do?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You just push the push button start without stepping on the brake to get it into acc. postion.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
You just push the push button start without stepping on the brake to get it into acc. postion.

Thanks😀
Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Read the owners manual on how to tow your Ford/Lincoln model.

2015 Ford towing guide say nothing about putting it in ACC to tow.
That is not required with the MKS owners manual.

(3) All-wheel-drive/Intelligent 4WD vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly

(4) Maximum speed with automatic transmission is 65 mph

(5) Start the engine and allow it to run for five (5) minutes at the beginning of each day and every six (6) hours thereafter.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

I pull an SRX. To set it up you lift the cover on the shift lever, push a release button and then shift the car to neutral. It is tow limited to 65 mph. However, if you can stand it, a KIA has more bells and whistles than either the MKX or SRX for $20,000 less.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #10

The KIA is not towable 4-down with auto transmission.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #11

Just finished a trip with our MKZ as toad

We just finished our maiden voyage with a new Thor Tuscany 40GQ towing a Lincoln MKZ hybrid. I installed the Roadmaster towplate and tow bar my self in about 6 hours (had one bolt on the fender that would not go back in.) Had no problems at all towing the car. Left it to the DW to get the car in position so I could drop the tow bar onto the hitch ball and then to put the car in Tow Mode. Its a little bit of a complicated process - You start the car in accessory mode (No foot on brack) and then use the display buttons to navigate to Settings - Vehicle - Tow Mode. hold the OK button for 20 seconds and hold the brake and shift to neutral. Turn the car off and your done. No problems with the battery since the car is all off. Works just like the book says it should. I always give the tow status a second set of eyes since a mistake here would be thousands of dollars in damage.

Brad Ford
Salt Lake City
2014 Tuscany 40GQ
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I am looking at the Cadillac SRX, the Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKZ. I would appreciate your comments, especially with regard the following:
I will be getting a MKZ hybrid as a toad. I have spoken with others, (also with Ford Fusion owners), and the tow mode is great. It just works.

Every MKZ owner I have met and spoken to regrets only ONE thing! Not installing a device to protect the toad from stones/rocks/sand/pebbles at the beginning!!

So, I will make sure to add that to my install list.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just started flat towing a 2015 SRX. Barely knew it was back there on a 1,000 mile trip in March. DW loves the SRX. I love DW....easy decision. Look at the thread "SRX as a toad" and you'll see pics of my install and the tow prep process.

FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote