Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #1

Cadillac SRX v Ford Edge

I am looking for advice on replacing my Forester. The issue is that I have to carry an electric wheelchair on a carrier and the new Forester ( and CR-V) only have a 150lb tongue weight rating. Both SRX and Edge offer 350lbs which will meet my requirements. I should also add that my wife, who is paraplegic, would like also like a soft ride and power seat. So I am looking at the SRX Luxury model and Edge Limited and would appreciate comments from anyone that owns one of these.

John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
The Jeep Grand Cherokee should be on your list as well. Probably cheaper than the SRX, easier to tow (easier to put transfer case in neutral), and has a tongue weight limit of 600lb+.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
We tow a Ford Edge Limited, good vehicle but a stiffer ride than the Cadillac.
2013 Winnie Journey 42e
Brent, Melissa and Poopsie the cat
RvWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just got a 2014 Equinox LTZ. I googled the tongue weight and the 6 cyl version is 350 LBS. We also have a SRX Performace model. They're both nice rides, but for a toad, the Equinox weighs less, is cheaper and so far we love the ride and options of a LTZ. JMHO
Bob, Dot & Leah, USN Retired
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Chevy Equinox LTZ/Blue Ox Tow Bar
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
We tow a Cadillac SRX, very comfortable, lots of bells and whistles, remote start, remote window drop (nice in hot weather) good safety rating and decent mpg.
As far as flat towing

Blue Ox is all but invisible (no grill trimming)

no locking ignition (one less step)

2 whel drive

one button to push and you are ready

no fuse or switch's to pull or install

weighs 4224

we are fulltime so we wanted a comfortable, luxury, and sporty suv. This is our only vehicle.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

We had a Grand Cherokee some years ago and it was not very reliable but that is not my concern now. The problem is the seat is high off the ground and my wife has trouble transferring from a wheelchair. I looked at the new Cherokee but that has a very hard ride.
The V6 version of the LTZ has a sport tuned suspension so will probably have a hard ride too but I have not been able to check that out yet. Thanks for the suggestions.
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
We tow an SRX and are surprised at how easy it is to do and how well the Blue Ox install works. They did all the work. Even the brake is easy as you can move the brake pedal, not just the seat to set it. Only trick was to turn off the automatic seat movement as it moved after I closed the door!

The button is under the shifter boot, which is a bit of a pain, but not a biggie. I carry a small screw driver in the door pocket to press the button. The instructions are in the manual. Be VERY careful to pull the lever to neutral, not drive. You have to visually check the position as you will have no light indicators with the ignition off.

I wish it was lighter, but that is life. Not sure on the Ford, But GM limits you to 65MPH.

Niel & Carol Powers
Winnie Era 70C
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote